Poly-Platform: OPEN SOURCED [3D platformer engine]

This is my first time posting something here don’t yell at me pls

Hey, so I originally had planned to make a 3D platformer game on Roblox, I got the engine done which is… a little clunky but it gets the job done (I think)

So, here’s a showcase video I uploaded on YouTube

It showcases the movement and such, on a sort of testing map??? i dunno.

So the engine is mostly based on Mario 64/Odyssey movement.

I have no use for this anymore, i lost motivation and ran out of ideas to continue on this project. So i’m OPEN SOURCING THE ENGINE!! WOOHOO!

so before i give you guys the model and place, here’s a QnA (not a FaQ because I never get asked anything)

Q: do I need to credit you?
A: it is much appreciated, but alas not mandatory. this IS something I’m making free after all

Q: Is this for R15 only?
A: nope! it also supports R6, with animations for both rig types!

Q: can i sell this?
A: no

alright, with that out of the way, here’s the toolbox model:

if you’re feeling generous, you can donate to the place I made to showcase the engine originally, which can be found here (the place is not downloadable):

Thank you for checking this out! This post will not be updated

54 Likes

Very neat engine, would look great in RPG games!

1 Like

i love this! i might use this for a tiny project i might do (which is A Hat In Time but its only Train Rush! a mix of an obby with extra stuff idk)

1 Like

sounds interesting, please do let me know if the game releases! i’d love to see what people make with this!

1 Like

sure thing! maybe it would work, maybe it would not, but who knows! you have to write the code to know that it works!

1 Like

Amazing! Quick question though, is there a way that I can still use normal animations like sitting, or custom ones for tools and stuff? Since I ran into this problem where, whenever I sit, my character will be doing any other animation like running and so instead of the normal sitting anim, anything I can do to fix this?

1 Like

since the character is controlled all by one script, you’d have to modify that one script and add an animation for it. You can run a HumanoidStateChanged() function and have that function change the animation when a player sits or climbs, and etc etc

and remember to add the animation to the folders and define it in the animations table for each rig!

Woah, this is so cool! I’m going to test the game out, but I have no use to use it for myself at the moment, but i will keep this in mind if I ever need something like this in the future! Thanks for making it open-sourced, it’s very generous of you! :grin:

1 Like

yeah no problem! i have no use for it myself, and thought others could make something cool and benefit from it, thanks for the kind words!

1 Like

Reminds me of @Polyhex’s 3d platformer, nice job!

3 Likes

that was one of the main inspirations for this, Polyhex’s creations always make me smile!

1 Like

Aaa those paws are so cute! <3

1 Like
why thank you very much!! <3
1 Like

Looks really good! If I ever make a platformer (thinking of it lately), I will be sure to use it!

1 Like

I’m slightly confused on something - Are the animations also open sourced? If so then how do we get them? (Since yknow you can’t use someone else’s animation)

1 Like

this is actually a great question!

i highly encourage you to make your own animations to practice, but what you can do if you’re lazy like me is copy the animation ID of the animation you want, go to the toolbox on the website, click on any asset, and then replace the ID of said asset with the animation ID, and download the animation as an RBXM
alternatively, you can go to my inventory, check animations, and download them as RBXM files as mentioned above.
to actually use the RBXM files, just drag them into studio and it should import them

hope this helps :slight_smile:

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but, how exactly do I download the animation as an RBXM? I did follow all of the steps you’ve given me but it doesn’t give me the option to download them as RBXM files.

oh i guess you can only download them with extensions. i could update the model to include keyframe sequences so you can export them yourself when i get home

1 Like

Yes please, that would be extremely helpful for me

apologies for the slight necropost
I see that you have used metatables to do actions inside of modules
is there a reason you did that instead of doing

return function()

end

inside of the modules?

I also kind of noticed you create a seperate thread and then while loop
both of these things I noticed inside of the playerscripts script

but im an optimization nerd, you are doing well for the things that actually matter like organization

1 Like