Popular Category: Only Allow FE Games

the point of a joke is for it to actually be funny

and le memes are not[/quote]

Edited my original post, because somehow I forgot to and my true opinion at the end of it.

Like I said, having it’s own category could work too. One that appears ABOVE popular. If ROBLOX actually wants us to use this feature which creates more work for us, then they should do something like this.

Telling us “We want to see more filtering games. Oh and lolxd you don’t have a chance against those free model games, but good luck!” doesn’t exactly make me want to hop on board.

It would publicize filtering better than it’s being right now.

How about we just get:

-> Custom organization of the front page
–> Popular? meh
—> Give me Top Rated please (this will put on top)

-> Custom Filters
–> FilteringEnabled
–> Like/Hate rating of at least …
–> Minimum favorites

Etc. Many people complain about the organization of the front page. Then let them design the organization themselves, so they can’t complain anymore as they can fix it themselves!

[quote] How about we just get:

–> Popular? meh

-> Custom Filters
–> FilteringEnabled
–> Minimum favorites

Etc. Many people complain about the organization of the front page. Then let them design the organization themselves, so they can’t complain anymore as they can fix it themselves! [/quote]

The entire point of this is that: Filtering games category will be seen. Users can’t turn it off. Therefore as developers we know, if we make a filtering game, we have a good chance of getting the front page.

If people can toggle it, it fixes absolutely nothing.

[quote] How about we just get:

–> Popular? meh

-> Custom Filters
–> FilteringEnabled
–> Minimum favorites

Etc. Many people complain about the organization of the front page. Then let them design the organization themselves, so they can’t complain anymore as they can fix it themselves! [/quote]

The entire point of this is that: Filtering games category will be seen. Users can’t turn it off. Therefore as developers we know, if we make a filtering game, we have a good chance of getting the front page.

If people can toggle it, it fixes absolutely nothing.[/quote]

In that case the standard version of popular should only show / favour FE games.

The end case (and this is what I gleaned from a conversation with a person who literally works on this stuff – Tone) is that the games that have the greatest user retention are the games that will be shown to you on the games page.

It’s just business.

[quote] The end case (and this is what I gleaned from a conversation with a person who literally works on this stuff – Tone) is that the games that have the greatest user retention are the games that will be shown to you on the games page.

It’s just business. [/quote]

Obviously!

:start
more people ingame
people stay in game long period of time
therefore it is seen more
goto start

But the point is, if they really want us to use FE, why not give us a boost then? Or have a category called Featured or something :stuck_out_tongue: FEatured >;) (You can punch me for that later)

[quote] The end case (and this is what I gleaned from a conversation with a person who literally works on this stuff – Tone) is that the games that have the greatest user retention are the games that will be shown to you on the games page.

It’s just business. [/quote]

Obviously!

:start
more people ingame
people stay in game long period of time
therefore it is seen more
goto start

But the point is, if they really want us to use FE, why not give us a boost then? Or have a category called Featured or something :stuck_out_tongue: FEatured >;) (You can punch me for that later)[/quote]

I really hope ROBLOX doesn’t pull a YouTube and shove features in our face in an attempt to popularize them.

Disadvantages:
[ol]
[li]Free modeled games that people actually like will be removed from the front-page[/li]
[li]Unheard of developers that aren’t good enough at coding to make their game under filtering will never ever get a chance to be popular, no matter how fun their game is.[/li]
[li]There are a lot of high quality games without filtering that would be pushed off of the front page[/li]
[li]Some genres of game, such as games involving heavy use of vehicles are hard-to-impossible to make under filtering currently, and would likely disappear entirely from the front page.[/li]
[/ol]

I don’t think you made this post with the intention of having a reasonable discussion of the topic. Your Pro/Con list is written almost entirely from a developer perspective. In reality, a change to something like the games page should be considered almost entirely from the user perspective, not the developer perspective. Regardless of how the games page is set up developers will find a good way to function in it, but if the page is set up badly for users then that means less people playing on the site, which is bad for both users and developers.

If you want to propose changes to important user features such as the games page your arguments should be written based on the user perspective, not the developer perspective.

[quote] from the user perspective[/i], not the developer perspective. Regardless of how the games page is set up developers will find a good way to function in it, but if the page is set up badly for users then that means less people playing on the site, which is bad for both users and developers.

If you want to propose changes to important user features such as the games page your arguments should be written based on the user perspective, not the developer perspective. [/quote]

Not to be the one to point this out…but I think by now we all know that the majority ROBLOX’s playerbase tends to not really think about what games they play. They click “Games” and play what’s there :stuck_out_tongue:

Though you do provide a valid argument. However I don’t think adding a new category will kill anything whatsoever. If anything it would improve the quality of games on the games page. But in regards to my OP what you said totally makes sense.

I agree with you Stravant, but honestly, I don’t really like the “Customer first” attitude. It leads to entitlement, etc. I do think that FilteringEnabled games should get their own section (i.e. “Secure”), but not replace popular. We all want to be rich, but only bad things would come of that – the customer is not always right, and you sometimes have to force their hand to make things better. If you put secure games in their face, the front page might improve in quality just by a bit.

“However I don’t think adding a new category will kill anything whatsoever.”

Adding more categories isn’t the most sustainable solution. We already have way more categories than we should, and of those categories top popular is really the only one that matters in most cases, it’s the main driver.

Plus, adding a new category for “works under filtering” is really not acceptable UX wise: The user should not have to know about whether a game has Filtering enabled or not.

Why would it harm them at all? Having a “Filtered” category. They don’t need to know the meaning of the name. To us, it means filtering is enabled. To them, the games are filtered from mass free models (because most free models won’t work with filtering!!).

While we’re on the topic of how excess categories are bad…

Let’s be honest about “Top Points” and “Top Earning” categories. They’re literally mirror images of each other. Why not replace one of them? I mean seriously, look at this:

Speaking of “Top Points”

ROBLOX’s image for points is to have points as a visual cue as to how good players are doing in games. Right now, points track 1) How much money people spend in games, and 2) How long they’re playing the games. Wouldn’t it be better to change “Top Points” to “Longest Played”? Points is a duplicate of earning, so it needs to represent the other half of ROBLOX’s image.

[quote] Speaking of “Top Points”

ROBLOX’s image for points is to have points as a visual cue as to how good players are doing in games. Right now, points track 1) How much money people spend in games, and 2) How long they’re playing the games. Wouldn’t it be better to change “Top Points” to “Longest Played”? Points is a duplicate of earning, so it needs to represent the other half of ROBLOX’s image. [/quote]

I think points are still in the works. In the last Livestream where the CEO spoke, somebody asked “When will points be useful” and he said “We’re working on that” and smiled as if he knew they were useless at the time :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps, but I think it would be interesting if FilteringEnabled wasn’t an in-game property, but something you change under place configuration.

That way it could be displayed on the place stats area as a bit of pressure to developers. Like this, it isn’t an ultimatum for the popular page, but it does allow users to find out if they’ll be safe to play the game or not.

Like I said, a category for it would be out of the question. Making FilteringEnabled vs non. a publicly relevant fact is unacceptable user experience wise.

Also, yes, we’re painfully aware of the duplication problems on the games page. It’s just very hard to make changes to the games page because it is such an important part of the site that all developers and users care about: A lot of people have to work really carefully to reach enough of an agreement that any changes to it can actually go out onto production.

Yeah – since it’s an in-game property, people get paranoid thinking exploiters can change it through scripts and whatnot.

[quote] Like I said, a category for it would be out of the question. Making FilteringEnabled vs non. a publicly relevant fact is unacceptable user experience wise.

Also, yes, we’re painfully aware of the duplication problems on the games page. It’s just very hard to make changes to the games page because it is such an important part of the site that all developers and users care about: A lot of people have to work really carefully to reach enough of an agreement that any changes to it can actually go out onto production. [/quote]

Tell them about “Longest Played” – it seems like a suitable category for the front page which will ensure games with high player retention remain on the front page :slight_smile: