Popular Category: Only Allow FE Games

[quote] Like I said, a category for it would be out of the question. Making FilteringEnabled vs non. a publicly relevant fact is unacceptable user experience wise.

Also, yes, we’re painfully aware of the duplication problems on the games page. It’s just very hard to make changes to the games page because it is such an important part of the site that all developers and users care about: A lot of people have to work really carefully to reach enough of an agreement that any changes to it can actually go out onto production. [/quote]

Agree/Disagree with that. Yes, changing it can cause havoc. But you guys tend to just change the layout which pisses people off sometimes. (It takes me a week to notice, that’s how often I visit the games page)

I can almost bet that if you removed “Top Earning” right now, 99.999% of users wouldn’t even notice/care.

And why not have a category? Can you name some disadvantages of having it as a category?

It’d be a weird catagory for new players and I don’t want people to know I’m filtering

“I don’t want people to know my game is exploit safe.”

Wait what?

“I don’t want people to know my game is exploit safe.”

Wait what?[/quote]

I don’t want people to be thinking about security or knowing I’m not filtering. It’s irrelevant.

omg

The reason we use FE is to make our games secure, and to let our players know that our games are secure. Players will like games they know won’t be exploited.

IF it does get added, name it “Secure”, instead of “Filtered”, because then everyone will know what it means.

I’d actually like to see the property of filtering in a place. Call it “Secure”. Or “Protected”.

That would be a good selling point, and ROBLOX says they want us to use filtering, so why not have an indicator? Like a little badge for games that are safe? That could work instead of a category. Filtering would need to be a place property, as mentioned earlier.

No. Not as a catagory. On the place page is more than enough.

I don’t think you understand that the catagories are for the user base

“But you guys tend to just change the layout which pisses people off sometimes”

Yeah, nobody likes change, but you may be surprised to hear that when we make a significant change like the new site nav bar, we do a lot of work to make sure that the average user actually likes it better than the old version. We don’t just throw huge changes out there on a whim because we feel like it.

“I can almost bet that if you removed “Top Earning” right now, 99.999% of users wouldn’t even notice/care.”

Sure, but when you’re deciding on whether to make a change that effects a lot of users, “I bet XXX, lets do it” isn’t a very good way to go about things.

“Can you name some disadvantages of having it as a category?”

Ignoring the UX concern that I already pointed out: Category bloat. You can invent as many categories as you want, and it’s hard to point out any particular problems with a lot of them. But, obviously we can’t have all of them. Just being “not bad” isn’t enough of a good reason to use valuable space on one of the site’s most important pages.

[quote] omg

The reason we use FE is to make our games secure, and to let our players know that our games are secure. Players will like games they know won’t be exploited.

IF it does get added, name it “Secure”, instead of “Filtered”, because then everyone will know what it means. [/quote]

No.

They will not add a category called “Secure”.

1. It looks bad for ROBLOX saying they only have 1 category of “Secure” games
  2. You incentivise exploiters to go to other games.
    The unintended consequence of adding this cateogry would be giving exploiters a better idea of what games are exploitable, ie) popular games that don’t show up in “Secure”.

We don’t want eachother’s games getting exploited. Literally giving the exploiters some more information does not help anyone. Also showing the outside world that ROBLOX has 1 category of “secure” games CAN’T look good for us.

So conclusion…

A property/icon on a game?
Something like

[size=1]For the low salary of 199,999 USD a year, you can have Rukiryo as your concept artist[/size]

But maybe have your artists spend more than 3 minutes on it :slight_smile:

The shield needs to be green.

This is totally not a bias suggestion.

How would this even be sorted? If you say most popular, then you introduce the same issue with “Top Earning” and “Top Points”

If Roblox does add more categories they shouldn’t be redundant. They should be useful.

[strike]I personally feel it’d be better to remove Top Points[/strike] (Well, it turns out, they HAVE removed “Top Points”.) and make the Popular games section 2 rows. rather than just the one.

Also, if anything is done with Filter Enabled on the Games page I feel this would be the best way to implement it:

[spoiler]

Only, you know, integrated better into the “Filter” options line.[/spoiler]

Edit: I just realized the game I’m working on doesn’t have FilteringEnabled Opps :smiley:

@Cyber: The issue is that new players, well actually pretty much anyone that doesn’t script, won’t know what FilteringEnabled is. I’m sticking by the existing “Secure” game category in the thread.