Popular social media apps have good concepts that could be integrated into the Roblox home page

[I am not a lawyer so I do not speak on the legality of the ideas being transferable or if they are under patents. I am not advocating for Roblox to steal IP from social media sites in order to increase Roblox’s profit and I am just throwing ideas out there that have proven to work for other sites that I can see potential in Roblox as well]

Developers on Roblox for as long as I can remember have thought it is super important to get onto Twitter in order to be a successful developer. Of course not everyone, but the idea is you get onto twitter, and tweet with #RobloxDev your creations, you get noticed in the community and hired for various projects until one sticks, and then you become known for your part within that project. Some developers have also moved into Instagram as hashtags are a good way to spread awareness to niche audiences, and stories are a good way to keep up with your audience engagement. As well as tiktok, with the virality potential for making little videos outweighing any time cost it takes to create them.

These examples are a form of the Roblox developer dream, to create a game and then be advertising it on social media to get your ideas out there.

With privacy concerns on tiktok, Roblox could be inspired by the good example they set which is the efficiency of the “Following” and “Recommended For You” tabs on the tiktok home page. If similar structures were integrated into the Roblox site itself, I can envision a future where Roblox developers upload dev images, gifs, or videos (most likely for 13+ users) onto this page for their followers to see and interact with. With a direct link to a Roblox game users can play after viewing a developer post, -premium payouts could be a legitimate way of making money from putting out Roblox Dev content as posts. As well as the potential for game developers to put out quick information to a huge audience on Roblox itself, whereas many users do not use any offsite communication with Roblox developers.
Currently Roblox developers communicate with their game icon, title change, or thumbnails, as many other ways are proven to not be as effective. Other ways include group shouts or the feed feature, and the Game Updates feature, though with data, it is clear that there is a negligible use-case for the Game Updates feature.

The main idea is dev content that have direct links to Roblox places can flow through the community super quickly with following and recommended algorithms.

A system for developers being able to post dev related content to the massive audience on the Roblox website hungry for new content is a recipe for unlimited potential.

TL;DR
Roblox developers could be able to post dev related pics, gifs, videos to a version of the Roblox home page. This page could use a tab system of “Following” or “Recommended for You” for developer posts. Players can easily follow their favorite developer’s posts, or find new posts relating to their interests using the successful model of tiktok as a heavy influence in this system.

81 Likes

Roblox is supposed to be a social network, so integrating these changes into the platform would be a game changer to the community currently using third-party media for these purposes. Why keep it on a #RobloxDev hashtag when you can also post it on the Roblox website? That makes so much more sense, especially considering the younger users!

22 Likes

Totally agree to this feature, as it seems like a great opportunity for many developers on the website instead of doing a #hashtag on Twitter or Instagram like #RobloxDev and #Roblox as most users don’t have twitter and can’t see the wonderful things the developers have to offer.

This can change a lot onto the website and to the whole community for posting pictures for their game or something in the future of their projects!

I remember seeing a Roblox hack week before and seeing this, maybe this is coordinated somehow or possibly related for something in the future? :thinking:

13 Likes

Absolutely agree. Roblox calls itself a social platform and yet all social interactions take place on third party platforms.

We have a Followers feature that does absolutely nothing meaningful, and would actually mean something if this scenario happens.

Being able to market on the platform itself opens so many doors.

We currently use Discord or Discourse instead of Roblox Groups, and we use Twitter or Instagram instead of My Feed. That should change. Lots of users don’t have those platforms, and everyone would benefit from it being in house.

The base is already there (Groups and Feed), it just needs to be properly utilized.

31 Likes

Agreed, this should be added to Roblox’s website. It would be a great opportunity for developers. This could be great for those who don’t use social media, with Twitter in particular. Without that, there’s no way of really interacting with the community. This would really help with younger users.

The follow feature is also out-dated, as it does nothing. Perhaps it could serve a purpose, like adding a story like Instagram does.

Instead of connecting outside of Roblox, you could actually connect in Roblox. Roblox is a social game, so why do we have to use 3rd party apps?

5 Likes

Ever since Followers were added to the website, I thought Roblox would go into this direction. I’ve checked the Roblox wikia and apparently it’s been 5 years since that happened, it’s a shame that not much has been done with that.

Next to that, the “my feed” page on Roblox is also underutilized and I’m not under the impression that most users bother to visit that page either.

While I appreciate the relatively recent changes to groups, integrating concepts suggested by the OP into the group, my feed and follower-related features, could add an extra layer of interaction on the Roblox site.

12 Likes

I would love to see a feature like this integrated into the profile page too.

There are a few moderation concerns, and maybe there would need to be some sort of limit on who can post e.c.t. But I can definitely see this becoming a reality.

9 Likes

This is exactly what Roblox needs. It’s silly to have to go to places like Twitter to network with developers and talk about development. If roblox added this, it would be amazing. This is defiantly something Roblox needs to consider

3 Likes

Roblox should honestly do most things in hack week. My Feed is way too hidden to be any useful. Messages are usually unread or disabled, and you have to friend people to DM them. Chat notifications (at least on mobile) are broken and don’t update. Group shouts a. Cost Robux (to make the group) and b. Sometimes are restricted to certain ranks by the group owner. People also disable ingame chat sometimes. Finally, group walls are sometimes read-only, nonexistent, or require lengthy captchas. Forums used to be a great place for communication but those were removed. The Devforum would be a great place for communication except it’s about serious talk, except in DM’s. Even then, you have to ‘join’ the forum, which takes awhile to do. I can’t think of any more communication methods.

5 Likes