Prevent bot scam websites from showing up in the in-game chat [free script]

The bots are back in action today!

To combat them, here’s a simple filtered-words script that I input website names into manually. It prevents the whole message from popping up in the chat entirely! woo!

Here’s the model, scripted by Ironclaw33 Anti In-Game Bot Scam / Filtered Words Script - Roblox

I update this script regularly when players report scam websites being said by bots, and reupload the changes to this model. I haven’t had to edit the script for about a month. they just recently made some new website names to spam, so, here are the changes. ^^

you can add new words/websites yourself, but please let me know if you see a website that i should add to the list xxx

EDIT: THE BOTS ARE EVOLVING! Specifically the ones that would post “get-bux.me” have evolved into “get-bux .me” (added a space) which our script actually doesn’t block. (well they do now, but we can’t count on them to NOT continuously evolve) Thanks so much for the recommendations for improving the script, we are taking all comments into account and are going to revise it so maybe, it doesn’t have to be “as manual”, and also, more instant and not to just new servers. I will post the edited version when its done xxxx

81 Likes

I feel like you should remove all messages that have any website in it, instead of having a blacklist. Because in most cases, you don’t put urls in chat.

10 Likes

agreed any links typed in chat for whatever reason isn’t necessary because even if it’s something benign like a youtube link, you would have to manually type in what you see and links tend to be rather long so the best choice would to do it in party chat not in-game

3 Likes

In a perfect world, you would filter any message that’s spammed like that. They’re all the same so that would get rid of it real quick.

3 Likes

You could use string patterns to filter any valid domain with a full list of TLDs, maybe filter some common replacements like a “DOT” or “D0T” followed by a TLD.

Though, some younger users don’t properly use spacing, so they might write “hello.im avigant.red is my favorite color”, and “avigant.red” would be picked up as possible free robux spam since .red is a TLD.

5 Likes

You are Awesome! :+1:

5 Likes

Some TLDs that are also common words include:
.pizza, .red, .read, .restaurant, .tennis, .weather, and many, many more.
Many of these are perfectly valid to start sentences with so you can’t just remove any website link (even .com could be an easy typo if someone’s starting a sentence with “come” and misplace their space) without some users complaining about how unnecessary it is; the original poster’s approach might work the best if she’s quick to update her system.

Edit:

3 Likes

Except with how it currently works now, it doesn’t matter if she updates her system. You put the module in the game, there is no automatic updating. It’s not a require, it’s just a chat module with a table of all the values. People would have to constantly replace her system everytime, and if they added any new ones those would be removed.

2 Likes

Never mind then, your solution (while not perfect) would probably be more practical than manually updating the module every time a new scam website pops up.

2 Likes

If anything, keep the blacklist and then manually remove all urls (not the entire messages, just hash out any urls it detects) with common tlds. This would keep most of the message in tact while still censoring out the urls. Then for rarer domain names (which most scammers would try and make it see somewhat official by using a more legitimate TLD) you can blacklist them.

I agree you shouldn’t remove the entire message, though. It tends to be very misleading because the players have no idea why, or what was blocked.

1 Like

Players keep reporting me that scam bots were in the game again to spam messages, I think this will be useful to resolve this case, Thankyou! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m going to create an AI-based predictive algorithm that will return how likely something is a scam (0-1). I will need this for my next project so I may as well open source it when it is done to help others out.

4 Likes

I kinda want to modify this to add some kind of AI. Just a dumb AI that detects if a similar message is being sent a lot in a short time period.

Edit: I just realized that grilme99 has the same idea as me.

2 Likes

thank you i will try it out in my games. i dont like thoes bots annyways.

Here’s a list of all TLDs. I saw it suggested earlier.

4 Likes

I have also seen instances where a bot joins send its message and quickly leaves. 13%20PM
Will this still work, with the script?

Yes! This is exactly the kind of message it blocks.

2 Likes

Wonderful script, works perfectly! Thank you this has been a growing problem for a while now. Haven’t gotten any complaints about the scammers on the games I added it to. Also appreciate how easy to modify it is.

3 Likes

Okay, I was just wondering since the bots are using the /me command.

1 Like

This is a great way to retaliate against the bots- thank you!