Preventing trails from stretching out and getting larger when moving one attachment away from the other

I’m not too sure what category this post should go in, because this issue might be able to be fixed with scripting, but I’m trying to figure out how to prevent trails from stretching out and getting larger when moving one attachment away from the other. Here is a demonstration of the problem:

Demonstration Video (Streamable.com)

(Before moving one of the attachments further away from the other, they were positioned right next to each other.)

1 Like

Trails have a property called “MaxLength”. It is by default 0, which lets it have any length. Any other value will set a limit on the length.

The issue still occurs after setting the MaxLength property to 0

As I said in my previous post,

It is by default 0, which lets it have any length

So just set it to a small but non 0 value, such as 0.1

The issue still occurs even when its set to 0.1. In this case, the issue is not related to the MaxLength Property.

I’m a bit confused as to what you are trying to achieve. To my knowledge, the attachments define the size of the trail, so the further apart they are, the fatter the trail will be…

That’s pretty much the problem. I don’t want the trails to get fatter the farther apart the attachments are. The video is an example as to why I need the trail size to stay the same rather than get fatter.

Streamable Video

As you can see, the trails look like they’re attached to the player when the player is idle, but when they move away, the trails are just left there floating. Its the same thing for when I threw the lightning bolt. The trails just sat there floating. I’m trying to make it so that the trail’s attachment0 property can be set to the players HumanoidRootPart, and the trail’s attachment1 property can be set to an attachment inside of a moving part that makes the lightning shoot out of the player so that the lightning can be attached to the player rather than it just floating there not being attached to anything. But when I do this, the trails get fatter due to the player moving away from the attachments. I hope this helps you better understand the issue!

However if there is a different way to achieve this without doing all of that with the attachments I am open for suggestions.

That’s not how trails work lol. The attachments define the thickness of the trail. Try looking into beams instead. Or, you could just have a part with the trail in it that gets flung out from the player using a tween. Hope this helps :+1:t2:

I really wish there was an option to prevent that from happening, but oh well. I’ve looked into using beams, but they just don’t look as nice as the trails unfortunately. I’m sure I’ll figure out an alternative way to do this but thanks for taking time out of your day to try and help!

Try making a part with the beam and tweeting it really fast away from the player.

I know for a fact that’ll work, I just can’t use things such as the width scale, lifetime, and minimum / maximum length properties to make the lightning look better like I can with the trails. Trails would be perfect if I could just enable an option to prevent them from getting fatter whenever it’s two attachments grow farther from each other. In fact, I might actually open a feature request post.

You realize that, the whole point of the attachments is to determine how fat the trail is right? Also, I meant trail not beam in my previous statement, my bad.

Oh, I actually didn’t lol. So now I know that Trails will work if it’s parented to a part without attachments, but how would I get it to shoot away from the player, while one end of the trail stays attached to the player?

Do you want the trail to move with the player?

From what I see here, it just looks like they have independent trails shooting off the player, so they aren’t actually attached.

Well, technically yes, but only one end of the trail if that makes any sense. I want one end of the trail to be attached to the player, and the other to shoot out from the player without the trail size changing so that it doesn’t look like its floating there like shown in the video.

As of right now they are independent trails because if I make the attachment1 the root rig attachment in the humanoidrootpart, and the attachment0 an attachment in the lightning part that contains the trail, the crazy trail stretching that I don’t want happens.

You can try the Lifetime property.

Unfortunately, Increasing or decreasing the lifetime of the trail won’t keep one end of the trail attached to the player, while the other end of the trail shoots away from the player.

How would that look like? What are you trying to make? If you want something to just be attached to 2 points you need a beam, because you can’t make a trail go one way while the other end sticks to the player.