Print game.PlaceVersion in Studio Output on Publish

It would help the publishing workflow if Roblox Studio would print the PlaceVersion after you have published a game/experience. It helps to validate and assure that it was properly published when joining an experience and clicking Help and making sure the PlaceVersion in-game is the same as the number when it was published.

Right now, I have to go to the Configure Place and to Version History to check the latest version to see the PlaceVersion number:

Running print(game.PlaceVersion) does not work as after you have published, Studio will only remember the PlaceVersion of when you first joined the session.
RobloxStudioBeta_ljCGKo2AZF

API reference for PlaceVersion:
https://create.roblox.com/docs/reference/engine/classes/DataModel#PlaceVersion

Current behavior:
RobloxStudioBeta_tZO3KUfZe9

Proposed behavior:

Of course the text can be changed, just have a way to show the PlaceVersion without needing to go to Configure Place.

4 Likes

Filed a bug report about the print(game.PlaceVersion) work-around not working as I assume this is not intended behavior:

If the bug is resolved, I still would very much like this feature as it saves me some precious seconds per week.

1 Like

As a roblox developer, what would you need that information for? You can also create a plugin to show the place version, if you want.

1 Like

When you have a live experience and you need to apply a patch, you want to be sure that the version in live instances is the same that you published. Right now, you can find the version number in Version History by going on the website after you have published the place, but that’s additional steps to validate when it could just be given to you as relevant information inside of Studio output.

For my workflow when publishing, Studio is not closed. If this feature was implemented, I’d have that number readily accessible without needing to use the Roblox website.

Below is the Help menu on the Roblox client in a live instance. It says the PlaceVersion number.

1 Like

Hi, so I took a look at this! Thank you for the very detailed report. This makes sense, but I think would be a decent amount of work to make happen.

My question is have you tried the following?

• Create a VIP server
  • Join the VIP server to test/validate

Additionally, if you “Migrate place” you can be sure you’ll be put in a new place.

I know it’s not the same as this integrated workflow, but I’m wondering how much impact this would have versus other things our team has. Is this sort of a nice-to-have thing, or is this actually really painful and you’re doing this 10-20 times every day.

If this is really core to publish workflow, maybe place version itself isn’t even what we want, but some sort of information pane in the actual help menu that tells you the latest version.

1 Like