Proactive Marketplace Archiving on Roblox

Hello Creators,

We are excited to introduce a new initiative to ensure a healthy Marketplace that values original creativity. Under this initiative we will proactively address content in Marketplace that might not comply with our Terms of Use and Community Standards because it may contain infringing content

This process, called Proactive Marketplace Archive, archives 2D and 3D avatar items that Roblox has concluded may not comply with the Terms of Use and Community Standards.

Starting today, you may begin to see certain avatar items get archived from Marketplace as part of this new approach. You do not need to take any action yourself, as Roblox will archive items on your behalf. Both 2D and 3D avatar items are covered, while other items including limited items, bundles, images, models, and meshes are not covered. If your content (for example, t-shirts, accessories) is impacted, you will receive an Inbox Message and an email notification if your account has an email address on file.

You will not receive any account moderation consequences from your avatar items being archived on Marketplace by this process.

Why the change?

We have heard from many longtime creators that they are concerned about avatar items they uploaded at a young age and want this type of content to be removed. This new approach helps address this outstanding concern about archiving outdated avatar items with no effort to the creator, while at the same time fostering a Marketplace that values original creativity and where all creators and rights holders are respected.

This archival process is not a substitute for complying with Roblox’s Terms of Use and Community Standards. Content you upload to Roblox should not infringe on the IP rights of others.

This Marketplace archive process is not the same as an asset archive.

The ability to archive assets already exists. To archive assets means storing assets in the Development Items section of the Creator Dashboard, which removes it from the website and makes it no longer usable or visible in Roblox experiences, including your own. This launch, along with the temporary process for archiving avatar items, introduces the ability to archive avatar items from Marketplace which means they will no longer be visible or available for purchase in Marketplace.

What’s Next

This is the next step in an ongoing journey to better support you in managing your past and future creations on Roblox, and we’re excited to build tools which better handle the management of all types of IP. In the coming months, we will launch a new self-serve tool in Creator Hub for creators to archive their own avatar items from Marketplace.

Until then, you can request Roblox take down your avatar items using this form.

Thank you.

FAQ

Can I take down my material myself? If so, will I get a consequence?

• If you’d like to archive Marketplace content, you will need to fill out the support form here and select DMCA under the Type of Help category, then select Asset Archive Request and provide the following information:

• An explicit request to archive your content
    • URL links or assets IDs of the content you wish to archive

You will not receive any account moderation consequences as a result of your avatar items being archived on Marketplace as a result of filling out this support form.

How does this relate to the manual Asset Archive Request process?

• This Proactive Marketplace Archive process is a new process where Roblox archives 2D and 3D avatar items from your account on Marketplace that appears not to comply with the Roblox Terms of Service and Community Standards because it may contain infringing content.

Filling out the manual Asset Archive Request form is a separate process. In that process, you can request a permanent archival of your own items by filling out the support form here and selecting DMCA under the Type of help category, then selecting Asset Archive Request. More details can be found in the announcement here.

Where can I read more about copyrights and trademarks?

• You can learn more about intellectual property on Roblox here.

What types of content are covered by this process?

• Both 2D and 3D avatar items are covered. Limited items and bundles are not covered.

Are appeals offered if I disagree with my avatar item being archived?

• Yes, if your avatar item is archived by this process, you can appeal and a human will review the decision. Follow the instructions in the notification to file an appeal.
169 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

This is an update I have been waiting on for a LONG time, (due to some uploads i made when i was very young) . It’s great to see this feature finally come into fruition!

Although, i do wonder , how long do these archive requests take to process, and will they be checked frequently?

28 Likes

Now THIS has to be one of the greatest changes this decade. THANK YOU ROBLOX!!! :+1:

11 Likes

This appears to be a giant leap in the right direction.

We shall see if this new Proactive Marketplace Archive actually delivers results.

5 Likes

FINALLY DOING SOMETHING GOOD! Joking but. For moderation of course! I am glad that I chose roblox as a learning platform now!

NO MORE REGRETSSSSSSSSS!!!

2 Likes

This sounds interesting and also funny, also I’m curious, how long will Roblox actually stay on top of this until they just forget and go back on their word and start moderating accounts again for dumb things. It’s happened time and time again, so just curious to see how long this “proactivity” lasts.

12 Likes

From my understanding this only applies to avatar items. Could a similar system be expanded to other types of assets in the future, e.g images/decals?

6 Likes

If i uploaded some bundles which I would like to take down, what should i do? Also, will we be able to archive limiteds & bundles in the future? perhaps making them so the creator gets no funds from the item, but they also can’t get moderated for it?

4 Likes

Ok, so when is moderation for UGC arriving?

26 Likes

Now these are the updates to go for / focus on, not that AI stuff please. Hopefully this goes smoothly 1235491059325472808

3 Likes

So when are these going to be moderated?
there’s full thread on these issues:

21 Likes

probably the most goated update in a while thanks roblox

3 Likes

now this is hype. thanks roblox

2 Likes

first roblox W in awhile when it comes to the marketplace
now they just need to remove the holding period for limited items

3 Likes

and moderation on
“freaky” items and other slang

3 Likes

Will we receive a notification if one of our items is taken down?

2 Likes

From my understanding the moderation process here is pretty vague, in the case that an asset is proactively falsely moderated what would be the protocol to get it reinstated? Additionally, knowing that there are a decent amount of historical assets uploaded by others who may not be on the platform anymore, can we send a request on their behalf?

2 Likes

2 Likes

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Been wanting this for a long time, I’m glad it’s finally here.

1 Like