Profile Pictures Stare Into Your Soul

Eye contact in real life is good, but looking at someone for too long (3.2 seconds) comes off as creepy. Don’t get me wrong, eye contact can be reassuring at times. But not without context, and especially not for more than a few seconds.

No-Context Eye Contact

Yeah. It’s uncanny. Now, have you ever seen a character in a horror movie turn to face you?

Fourth Wall Breaks

Fourth Wall 1

Fourth Wall 2

Fourth Wall 3

Fourth Wall 4

It’s a common technique called a fourth wall break. It freaks people out.

This brings me back to Roblox. Why would you make an avatar stare into your soul?

Roblox Fourth-Wall Breaks

Screenshot (53713)

It looks like they’re watching you. That they’re staring at you straight-on.

10 degrees was nice. Bring it back. To quote from a friend of mine:

“Some… have realized the truth.”

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my experience because I’d feel comfortable on Roblox without feeling freaked out. (Thanks to @Zeezy2204 (especially), @MrSprinkleToes, @FilteredDev, and @boatbomber for the images.)

175 Likes

I don’t think it’s that bad, but it certainly doesn’t work for some avatars (e.g. eyes on the side of the pigeon hat look goofy, crimson claw head is way too zoomed in, depth perception is poor on details, etc). The old angle almost always worked except when zoom was awkward. I don’t really like the new angle because it makes it harder to see and understand details on peoples’ avatars, and afaik really doesn’t lessen design challenges on the website since a consistent design detail Roblox uses is to always have the avatar on the left. I don’t understand why it needed to be changed; the symmetry doesn’t seem necessary.

23 Likes

It’d be better if Roblox allowed us to change perspectives of avatar headshots. Most times large hats don’t cause the frame to zoom out which just ruins the look of your avatar.

I like how the headshots just stare at you for humorous reasons, but with some avatars it looks odd. So perhaps, it is better going back to the default headshot.

44 Likes

I’m really zoomed out in my avatar image because I’m wearing a tall hat, Maybe make add set zoom?

7 Likes

The protogen hat just looks wrong.
Source @ComplexPriorities

12 Likes

Personally, I think that having a fixed preset that’s forced and looks bad isn’t good UX. I’m more in favor of allowing developers to choose their own “angles” since it would cover a variety of cases instead of just one.

14 Likes

Isn’t this considered a bug? Because achieving this affect requires equipping/unequipping items in the avatar editor.

2 Likes

I find the front-facing profile pictures deeply uncomfortable, but that’s just me. It would be great if we could have a choice if our avatar is front-facing or 10 degrees.

14 Likes

That happens in case the avatar goes back to a version where the system already has a thumbnail stored of.

When making a completely new avatar, it will stare in your soul.
When making an avatar exactly as how you had it before this change, it won’t stare in your soul.

Please note that thumbnails are deleted after a longer period of when it wasn’t used. Example: if you make an avatar as how you had it three months ago, the system will probably generate a new thumbnail which stares in your soul.

10 Likes