Prohibit low-effort 'meme' content in Cool Creations

As a developer I like to use #help-and-feedback:cool-creations to browse interesting and innovative content shared by likeminded, fellow developers. Lately I’ve seen a handful of topics in this category which exist solely to garner likes by attempting to be comedic, by showcasing low-effort, borderline troll content.

Despite such content being intentionally low quality, these posts gain astonishingly high numbers of likes - more likes than what’s received by honest, high quality content. I consider this a problem because low effort content which exists for the sake of trying to be funny to farm likes should not receive more recognition than genuine content, created by hard-working developers.

Although the category guidance in #help-and-feedback:cool-creations says you can share anything you would like feedback or discussion on, the developers who create these topics are obviously uninterested in such conversations because any constructive feedback given by other users would not accurately apply to the OP, since the poor quality of work is entirely artificial. These topics are usually filled with generic responses anyway, such as ‘this is the best work I have ever seen, 10/10’, so I highly doubt this contributes anything to the OP whatsoever.

If Roblox addressed this issue, it would improve my experience using the forum because less attention would be placed on low effort content trying to be comedic, and more attention would be placed on serious, diligent content, meaning skilled creators can be given more genuine and insightful feedback on their work, as well as more praise and recognition than these low effort ‘comedic’ posts.

Edit: I would also like to highlight the fact that these topics are constantly being spam bumped with effortless replies, meaning they are consistently held at the top of the category. For example:

(I did not choose these replies selectively; this is more or less what’s said for 60 replies to the particular topic this was taken from.)

89 Likes

Please flag posts like these. Let DET know that these are received as spam by the community.

24 Likes

Unfortunately, on every occasion I’ve flagged these posts my flags have been dismissed. I’ve flagged them with the spam option as well as the Something Else option.

15 Likes

The problem here is that there is a part of the community, (I’m not calling out any groups,) who spread this “meme” content, and do not perceive it as spam, instead liking and bumping these posts back to the top, thus making the issue once. It should explicitly be written that you cannot do this.

This is an even bigger problem in #waywoc… it’s slightly disappointing to see the quality of posts in these threads because it ruins the reason the thread was made. #waywoc 2021 already has 2.3k replies, almost 1k of these replies are better suited for DMs.

20 Likes

I have a feeling this can be misinterpreted easily by the community, as in it can be seen as okay to everyone since it is showcasing something. I think an explicit rule in #help-and-feedback:cool-creations or implicitly adding on to the “no spam”/“no memes outside of lounge” rule

since this can be misunderstood as “actual” memes like ugandan knuckles or something.

This would also help the community so that when we flag we have something to point to.

20 Likes

I support this. These meme topics often explode into a full blown progression series that goes nowhere towards an end goal. They often have the same set of users liking and replying and becomes a kind of community of it’s own they feed each other’s stats.

However, one issue I can see is if some beginner people are genuinely trying to get feedback, their derpy looking creation (which was not what the user intended) be counted as a meme. People shouldn’t feel discouraged to post relatively basic creations other than full blown realistic builds.

14 Likes

This! I’ve noticed a community of people who make many, many posts in #waywoc, sometimes getting out of hand and getting completely off-topic by spreading memes. Unsurprisingly, this “community”, has spread shot very high in terms of top users because of this feeding off each others stats. It’s frustrating because the posts are low effort, and instead of some of the amazing creations I have seen get attention, these meme topics and tiny, tiny updates get attention when they are blatant spam.

(I’m willing to share but only in DMs.)

5 Likes

A better feature request would be to clarify some rules on the Guidelines. I tried to flag this posts as PesZmistic said and a dissapointing messagge appeared in my screen saying: We have already reviewed this flags and determined it should not be moderated (I can’t remember the exact words of it).

PLEASE clarify this things and make a harder punishment to users who do this so they can be discouraged to continue doing this stupid topics

1 Like

I have not seen this happen on the DevForum very often since I don’t go into Cool Creations that often but people should not post memes in any category except for the lounge because it creates more clutter for us to search through and this is an issue that needs to be taken more seriously.

I have seen many amazing things in Cool Creations that show a lot of effort that do not get praised as much as memes posted on there that clutter the DevForum. This needs to be changed.

1 Like

I don’t think there is anything wrong with sharing an example of this topics since I’m not calling out anyone, just want to make things clear with what we are talking about:

4 Likes

That is precisely the sort of stuff I’m referring to.

@Friendly4Crafter We’re not referring to literal memes - just bad quality, effortless work intended as meme material in the hopes of garnering likes.

5 Likes

Dang look at all the likes this topic has and it was created today.
devforum likes
And then look at a topic of someone’s beautiful building that was posted yesterday.
devforum likes 2

This makes a lot more sense now.

It is important to note that many people who post low-quality content are relatively new to the DevForum, and have just became a member so they are not familiar with how it works.

8 Likes

This is true, there’s a big problem with so called “meme” topics. They are indeed low effort and bad.
And it’s the same 2 profiles that makes them, guess what? They joined about 15 days ago.

Now the weirdest things with these topics are the comments, some seem like alts others are 3-5 year old profiles. I do not think all likes/comments were honest, but there’s also the old profiles.

Either way they should be removed and prohibited, so better topics can be seen.

4 Likes

I agree, the developer forum is a professional environment and it should stay that way. I guess you could say this for any other category which isn’t used properly. There needs to be some more clarification when it comes to category guidelines, including what is/isn’t explicitly allowed

3 Likes

I definitely agree with this rule. It’s called “Cool Creations” for a reason, it’s not “Meme Creations”. Users are also contributing to the spam by also replying spam and “jokes”. Most of those replies would fit more in DMs because most of the time it’s just a conversation about how “beautiful” the “masterpiece” is. It’s like some members are using the category as a lounge to post memes.

These topics are also ‘hiding’ actual topics with at least some effort put into them. 4 ‘meme’ topics have already been created in the past 4 hours! To add on, the repliers are also bumping this topics to the top with spammy replies. One meme topic had 26 replies, some with 30.

If you want to showcase your “meme funny” model, put some effort into it or don’t post it at all.

5 Likes

You’re exactly right.

The largest of these topics literally has 80 likes, which is far more recognition than most genuine content receives. These entire topics are filled with generic responses such as ‘beautiful, wow’, so people clearly understand these posts are jokes, and take this as an opportunity to contribute minimal effort responses.

I’ve left a very descriptive flag on one of these topics with a link to this request, so the moderator who reviews the topic has a little more insight into what I’m referring to. Hopefully something will be done regarding this issue soon.

2 Likes

Well if the community likes them then I think they should be kept up, and if you don’t like them you can always just scroll past them. it’s not posted just for likes, yes it is meant to be funny but of being funny is breaking the rules then cool creations wouldn’t be the same, also memes die out being will eventually get bored of it then stop looking at it.

1 Like

I fail to see why attempts of attention grabbing, low quality humour should receive more praise and recognition than content which has had 10x the amount of effort poured into it.

If Roblox made decisions based on community consensus rather than logic, the forum would probably be a mess. Topics which show off very careless, low effort work in exchange for low effort, generic responses have no place on the forum because they are not useful to anybody.

5 Likes

I really think this is a matter of preference and perception, there’s nothing wrong with ‘meme’ content

3 Likes

Because the people that make meme content get lots of likes and replies, they do it again and again because they think it’s okay. This is a bad example to new users because they think that kind of stuff is okay. It baffles me how beautiful content made by people in many hours is overshadowed by low effort meme content slapped together in a couple minutes. I’m fine with meme content that has real effort put into it, but when it’s low effort and spammed everywhere it’s not okay.

EDIT: I just found a really high quality Japanese city in Cool Creations. The creator spent 4 hours making it. It’s sad when you realize that it has less views and replies than one of the meme topics.

8 Likes