Protecting Intellectual Property When Using Generative AI

Generative AI seems like a great tool, however, what is the AI trained off of? Is it capable of generating a brand unintentionally? Is there any way to identify if someone’s IP is being infringed when generating content?

10 Likes

I don’t think Roblox can/will answer this question because it would fall under providing legal advice, but as you are aware, you can not copyright AI generated content because federal law requires an author to copyright content.

With that being said, if you modify AI generated content you could theoretically own the copyright to it.

Source:

9 Likes

No. This is tech heresy, honestly. AI only takes jobs from other creators, this is not helping anyone except the lazy people who refuse to learn the skills that myself and many other devs have put years of work into. I didnt put 5 years of work into my skills just to be replaced by a texture generator because people who lack the skill or cant afford to pay others to make a game don’t want to put in the same effort I did.

Not to mention, AI is built off the backs of artists like myself who have had their textures and work unfairly fed into an AI so it can rip our works and frankenstein them together to create something “new”.

18 Likes

No. Roblox has told us in their ToS that anything we upload to their platform can be used by roblox for whatever they want. We, as artists, have no legal protections against our works being stolen by this company that has zero desire to actually act in our best interests. They’re at the whims of shareholders who see AI and think it’s all dollar signs. The more roblox pushes into this abominable garbage, the more I want to leave.

14 Likes

Where is the system that alerts you of IP infringement before bans? Roblox has yet to impliment something that isn’t immediate termination, and enforces this on decades-old assets. You’re expecting the honor system to play out right. we all know thats not the case. what are the prevention steps for infringement issues that aren’t “hey guys be kind and follow the law.” I ask this because corporate has quite literally told me my own work wasn’t stolen when doing DMCA requests for entirely stolen games. Roblox as a company themselves falls flat on IP infringement, and this seems like a cheap way to push fault for something that should have stronger safeguards.

8 Likes

In the Texture Generator post, it’s specified that:

The Texture Generator is trained using third-party and in-house models on publicly available data

What exactly is the ‘third-party’ model and ‘publicly available data’ here? One could make the argument that the ‘third-party’ model(s) is the same as other models that scrape from artists’ works. ‘Publicly available data’ can just be a professional term for Google Images.

I ask this because not only is it a hot-button topic when it comes to AI generation, but because it would be very ironic to lay out a plan detailing how we can protect our IP with AI generated images while the AI is just scraping from artists and copyrighted material anyway.

8 Likes

I don’t think anybody should take this as legal advice by any means but I think Roblox further clarifying what they see as something that’s able to be copyrighted will be very useful to many developers that want to go down the route of including AI into their workflow to varying degrees.

I hope that nobody falls into the pit of making their whole workflow AI generated still, but it’s good to have further confirmation that you at least run the risk of being unable to consider the work as yours therefore risk not being able to legally act in the case of somebody lifting it. Thanks for this. Interesting read.

5 Likes

Welcome to late stage capitalism. Corpos will replace you with software using your work without consent and any laws on this matter will rarely help small artists, as we’ve seen in the past.

This is a reactionary take that relies on not understanding how these models work. Your (completely valid) position is better off without this.

8 Likes

Roblox encourages everyone to take legal action involving our works and if you believe that your works are copied by others, then we encourage you to take a DMCA report to remove such copyrighted items of your works.

Roblox also said " This lava would not be protectable because AI is solely generating it. In other words, you can’t submit a DMCA takedown notice if someone used the same lava pattern in their experience. Additionally, someone who generated a similar material in their experience, wouldn’t be able to claim that you were copying their work."

Additionally, the more unique stuff you put into your works the more it will protect your own works.

3 Likes

I’m curious about this as well. I meant to ask in my earlier post about the third party source. I sincerely hope that this source is not part of or derived from the LAION-5B data set or if it is, that there are particularly strict moderation measures in place when it comes to terms used for generation.

5 Likes

Reading any post regarding AI tends to be very depressing because you have to hand-hold AI users through really obvious stuff.

“No AI users you don’t own the copyright of the stuff you made in AI!”
Yeah of course not lol. Realistically AI by it’s own definition is closer to being copyright infringement /itself/ due to the very dubious training methods most sources use, if anything.

8 Likes

what sources did you train your ai image generator on?

from where did you get data for training the scripting co-pilot assistant?

5 Likes

If you’re talking about editing an AI generated image and claiming intellectual ownership, yes, since you’re putting your original work on top of the AI generated image. I believe they mentioned this in the post.

This may be circumstantial though.

5 Likes

I am extremely curious about this as well.

8 Likes

First, nothing I say can or should be construed as providing legal advice. It’s all based on practicality and my personal interpretation of the law, which I believe is accurate based on my own reading of the laws themselves.
This is long, but worth a read for anyone who wants a bit more clarity.
In general, derivative works don’t generally require permission when the resulting work is significantly different from the original. What defines “significant” are the supposed underlying issues of AI generated content. In short, it’s a matter of scale, medium, and human intervention.
AI output is already covered under the law as fair use and/or a derivative work. But because AI content is generated by a computer, it lacks the “human” element required for copyright protection. As such, the US Copyright Office has explicitly ruled that AI output CAN’T be copyrighted. This protects the AI tool creators and their users from potential copyright lawsuits. That means there’s no risk of violation when using AI output in your project. It also means you can’t copyright your own output without significant human modification, and I think that’s one of the main takeaways from this article.
For example, known anime and manga characters are just images. The original medium is a flat, 2D representation, and as such all other 2D images of these characters are protected by copyright. You couldn’t use the image or a portion of the image without permission. HOWEVER, if you created a 3D model of that known character, rigged it, animated it, textured it, and used it in your game, (assuming the copyright holder hasn’t done it themselves) that would be considered a derivative work. Why? Because adding a mesh, scripts, animations, and textures for use in a game change both the scale (from single images to a combination of meshes, rigs, and animations) and medium (2D images to 3D game models). One could argue that it creates a likeness and the likeness is copyrighted, and to a degree the are correct. But ONLY the likeness. The parts themselves - the model, the rigging, the animations, an even the UV unwrapped texture - are so different from the original source material that the copyright largely belongs to the modeler. But because there is likeness, it’s considered a fair use derivative work allowed by law.
It also adds significant human intervention to the process, so if the original image was AI generated, then the original image and likeness can’t be copyrighted. But everything else the copyright belongs to the modeler.
Again, nothing I say can or should be construed as providing legal advice. If you’re considering using potentially copyrighted content in your game, I recommend always asking permission when possible. If nothing else, asking permission spreads awareness of your game, which can increase the chances of success.

5 Likes

This is cool and all but I’d love for the team behind this update to give us some sort of transparency when it comes to where they got the data model used for the AI. If you dont already know a lot of AI data models use art that was taken without permission from the original artist, while its true that the ai does technically make original art it is still trained on others art. I (along with many others) wouldn’t feel comfortable using something that was trained on someone elses work.

6 Likes

Hey It’s pretty cool but you know it would be 100 times better to improve Roblox’s moderation that would be the best thing that could happen

6 Likes

FOR REAL, IT’S SO BAD. The amount of automated moderation is terrible, you can’t get a real human to respond to anything.

Recently, I’ve seen dozens of ads for a scam group.
This group directs you to an off-site website to get “free robux”.
The comments section is Private for the group, filled with hundreds of Compromised Accounts, likely stolen from the phishing scam itself, posting about how “legit” it is.

I’ve reported it twice and still see it.

I always wondered why companies don’t have weighted report. As a user who made an account in 2009, has 75+ million visits, and tries to report things for legitimate reasons - There is no excuse to why my report should be ignored when it’s leading to potentially hundreds of thousands of scams.

Roblox is honestly lucky the legal system doesn’t target bad moderation that much, as roblox is so poor at handling this that I’m sure it falls into legally grey areas from time to time.
It might be in the running for the “Most mismanaged moderation” award multiple years in a row.

They don’t just need more moderators. They need better moderation. Every damn website these days thinks “More automation == More Moderation”, but when it comes to getting real reports to real moderators, that system fails pathetically.

Edit: Another moderation mess-up. I once got a Warning for putting my Discord link on the social tab of my game. Something that is explicitly allowed by roblox. I since then have only had the Discord link on my group - This has caused a hard cut in how many people see the Discord link, and I am genuinely terrified of putting the Discord link up.

Why is it that phishing scam groups can be 100% confident in spamming advertisements for their account hacking websites, but I can’t post a valid discord link to my game without being terrified I’m going to receive moderation punishment? How is this acceptable?

9 Likes

but how would you know if the code was stolen? You can’t view the code of a game unless you are a developer of the game or you have exploits that can view code

5 Likes

Jandel was working with someone on a game, that person apparently/allegedly took the code, and used it in their own game without permission.

That game got taken down, so Jandel possibly got told that the persin stealing the code… stole the code

I’m not entirely sure though

8 Likes