Protecting Intellectual Property When Using Generative AI

Reading any post regarding AI tends to be very depressing because you have to hand-hold AI users through really obvious stuff.

“No AI users you don’t own the copyright of the stuff you made in AI!”
Yeah of course not lol. Realistically AI by it’s own definition is closer to being copyright infringement /itself/ due to the very dubious training methods most sources use, if anything.

8 Likes

what sources did you train your ai image generator on?

from where did you get data for training the scripting co-pilot assistant?

5 Likes

If you’re talking about editing an AI generated image and claiming intellectual ownership, yes, since you’re putting your original work on top of the AI generated image. I believe they mentioned this in the post.

This may be circumstantial though.

5 Likes

I am extremely curious about this as well.

8 Likes

First, nothing I say can or should be construed as providing legal advice. It’s all based on practicality and my personal interpretation of the law, which I believe is accurate based on my own reading of the laws themselves.
This is long, but worth a read for anyone who wants a bit more clarity.
In general, derivative works don’t generally require permission when the resulting work is significantly different from the original. What defines “significant” are the supposed underlying issues of AI generated content. In short, it’s a matter of scale, medium, and human intervention.
AI output is already covered under the law as fair use and/or a derivative work. But because AI content is generated by a computer, it lacks the “human” element required for copyright protection. As such, the US Copyright Office has explicitly ruled that AI output CAN’T be copyrighted. This protects the AI tool creators and their users from potential copyright lawsuits. That means there’s no risk of violation when using AI output in your project. It also means you can’t copyright your own output without significant human modification, and I think that’s one of the main takeaways from this article.
For example, known anime and manga characters are just images. The original medium is a flat, 2D representation, and as such all other 2D images of these characters are protected by copyright. You couldn’t use the image or a portion of the image without permission. HOWEVER, if you created a 3D model of that known character, rigged it, animated it, textured it, and used it in your game, (assuming the copyright holder hasn’t done it themselves) that would be considered a derivative work. Why? Because adding a mesh, scripts, animations, and textures for use in a game change both the scale (from single images to a combination of meshes, rigs, and animations) and medium (2D images to 3D game models). One could argue that it creates a likeness and the likeness is copyrighted, and to a degree the are correct. But ONLY the likeness. The parts themselves - the model, the rigging, the animations, an even the UV unwrapped texture - are so different from the original source material that the copyright largely belongs to the modeler. But because there is likeness, it’s considered a fair use derivative work allowed by law.
It also adds significant human intervention to the process, so if the original image was AI generated, then the original image and likeness can’t be copyrighted. But everything else the copyright belongs to the modeler.
Again, nothing I say can or should be construed as providing legal advice. If you’re considering using potentially copyrighted content in your game, I recommend always asking permission when possible. If nothing else, asking permission spreads awareness of your game, which can increase the chances of success.

5 Likes

This is cool and all but I’d love for the team behind this update to give us some sort of transparency when it comes to where they got the data model used for the AI. If you dont already know a lot of AI data models use art that was taken without permission from the original artist, while its true that the ai does technically make original art it is still trained on others art. I (along with many others) wouldn’t feel comfortable using something that was trained on someone elses work.

6 Likes

Hey It’s pretty cool but you know it would be 100 times better to improve Roblox’s moderation that would be the best thing that could happen

6 Likes

FOR REAL, IT’S SO BAD. The amount of automated moderation is terrible, you can’t get a real human to respond to anything.

Recently, I’ve seen dozens of ads for a scam group.
This group directs you to an off-site website to get “free robux”.
The comments section is Private for the group, filled with hundreds of Compromised Accounts, likely stolen from the phishing scam itself, posting about how “legit” it is.

I’ve reported it twice and still see it.

I always wondered why companies don’t have weighted report. As a user who made an account in 2009, has 75+ million visits, and tries to report things for legitimate reasons - There is no excuse to why my report should be ignored when it’s leading to potentially hundreds of thousands of scams.

Roblox is honestly lucky the legal system doesn’t target bad moderation that much, as roblox is so poor at handling this that I’m sure it falls into legally grey areas from time to time.
It might be in the running for the “Most mismanaged moderation” award multiple years in a row.

They don’t just need more moderators. They need better moderation. Every damn website these days thinks “More automation == More Moderation”, but when it comes to getting real reports to real moderators, that system fails pathetically.

Edit: Another moderation mess-up. I once got a Warning for putting my Discord link on the social tab of my game. Something that is explicitly allowed by roblox. I since then have only had the Discord link on my group - This has caused a hard cut in how many people see the Discord link, and I am genuinely terrified of putting the Discord link up.

Why is it that phishing scam groups can be 100% confident in spamming advertisements for their account hacking websites, but I can’t post a valid discord link to my game without being terrified I’m going to receive moderation punishment? How is this acceptable?

9 Likes

but how would you know if the code was stolen? You can’t view the code of a game unless you are a developer of the game or you have exploits that can view code

5 Likes

Jandel was working with someone on a game, that person apparently/allegedly took the code, and used it in their own game without permission.

That game got taken down, so Jandel possibly got told that the persin stealing the code… stole the code

I’m not entirely sure though

8 Likes

Unfortunately, this is most likely just the beginning since I’m pretty sure these A.I updates will be permanent features that’ll regularly get used by inexperienced developers with their projects.

A majority of project leaders on this platform also have very thin budgets to work with, so they’ll definingly use this to their advantage since prompt generation is free compared to hiring a developer.

I’m also noticing that many companies in the job industry are also starting to implant A.I features of their own so that they can avoid hiring people, so people will need to carefully decide what career they want to pursue moving forward.

But yeah, it’s just going to be much harder for any future developers to find employment since these A.I features are in Roblox Studio now. I’m not entirely sure what this means for the platform’s future if it keeps getting harder for new talent to build up their careers, so there’s a lot of uncertainty right now.

5 Likes

I have a feeling that the editable images/meshes along with the generated textures and materials are what is being used for training for the future AI-gen avatar and avatar item system, and the full AI-gen of experiences.

That said, I hope that they will keep the manual development systems intact going into that future. I can’t imagine a scenario in which they wouldn’t, but in this brave new world who knows?

5 Likes

Life would be easier if copyright did not exist.
All the fear about losing what you created is just fear. You can never truly lose what you created.

Copyright only protects peoples pride, it doesn’t
protect their creativity.

I’m sorry to say it, but I don’t believe the discussion should be one sided.

1 Like

Wait until you spend 2 years worth of work and sacrificed your own resources. Without that copyright, you can never profit from your own work because others will be stealing it from you. Even worse, they might even sell it off and even claim it is theirs!

6 Likes

Giving kids advice on how to use a person imitator which doesn’t grant them rights to their “work”. Wonderful future we’re ushering in here.

Breaking news: legitimate skills no longer necessary as world’s largest fraud factory opens up. There’s reportedly enough fraud going on that no one knows where the real talent comes from at this point, it’s just so much fraud! After this short break, stay tuned for some advice on how to protect your own fraud factory from your skilled victims, without whom your fraud factory could have never had anything to rip off.

7 Likes

I always put my art before profit.
I always put my convictions before money, before success, before everything.

It’s easy to get corrupted, but I always remember, that art existed before economy.

1 Like

How does one form such an absolutely insane malformed thought? Copyright exists to protect our bottom line, to stop people from stealing our work for their own profit. Copyright exists to give us legal protections to take down copies of our work lol. You dont even have a base-line understanding of the topic and yet you want to sit here and advocate for the complete removal of the legal protections that allow us to make a profit off of our own items without someone else ripping the item entirely or ripping it and making a few edits to then claim it as “original”. Maybe read up on a topic before making an uneducated opinion formed in complete ignorance.

1 Like

Oh. That explains why you’re spewing such garbage. Sorry to say it, but wanting to make a profit from your work is not “corrupt”. Wanting to make money off of something you enjoy is smarter because youre more likely to create a product you and the people you intend to recieve this product will enjoy, you’ll suffer from less burn out, and you can enjoy life. Stop with the nonsense BS about “art before profit” because it’s just that, nonsense.

2 Likes

It’s not about being “corrupted” mate. It’s about paying the bills to live. Not sure how earning a living becomes “corrupted”. How about you don’t do work to get money since you said make money = “corrupt”?

3 Likes

This just proves YOU don’t know why copyright exists in the first place.

Without copyright we as artists might as well never provide off ANYTHING that we make. Anyone could just take it and use it as their own work and since copyright wouldn’t exist… what could we do? Nothing.

But sure advocate that “It protects peoples pride” instead of protects artists careers.

1 Like