ProximityPrompt not working with Models

Reproduction Steps

1. Create two parts, anchored
  2. Group them
  3. Insert a ProximityPrompt inside the group
  4. Run

Expected Behavior
The ProximityPrompt should be fired in the same way as a single block, for all parts.

Actual Behavior
ProximityPrompt is being fired oddly, flashing, only in one part of the group:

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly

3 Likes

Its either because the parts are far away from each other, or you are not putting the prompt inside a specific part

I have done research and it appears: “ProximityPrompts work when parented to a Part , Model , or Attachment in the workspace.”
This is in ProximityPrompt

2 Likes

Have you tried setting the primary part to something? This may be causing the issue.

2 Likes

+1, models need to have primaryparts set to have proximity prompts work correctly in them. You should see an error in the console if they don’t. I’ll see if we can get the documentation updated to be a bit more clear!

5 Likes

Wouldn’t it be better to just have the proximity prompt show up at the model’s Origin Position though?

2 Likes

Did you test before affirming?
Setting a PrimaryPart will just trigger the ProximityPrompt for this part, not for the group.
The only change that occurs defining a main part of the model is that the ProxPrompt will not be flashing.

As I said before, the proximity prompt for a model has to behave as if the model was a single block, or as @IraTenebrarum said, should be based on the Model’s Origin Position, and not on one of its parts.

Here is the test template to facilitate your analysis:
ProxPromptGroup.rbxl (30.9 KB)

1 Like

Thats how proximity prompts work right now - the primary part is used to figure out where to place the prompt. If you think this should not be the default behavior, I recommend filing a feature request.

7 Likes

Done:

2 Likes

I’m closing this thread since this is not a bug, but more of an intended behavior.
Thanks for the report, and the feature request!

1 Like