Allow ProximityPrompt to be based on the Origin Position of a Model

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to work with ProximityPrompt when it’s based on a Model, since currently it’s triggered based only on its Primary Part, which causes unexpected behavior, as detailed in this bug report:

In many cases, it would be necessary that it was fired based on the Model’s Origin Position, and not on the Model’s Primary Part.

So that this doesn’t interfere with current experiences, I suggest creating an ADDITIONAL PARAMETER in the ProximityPrompt (or in the Model) to define whether you want it to be triggered based on the Primary Part of the Model.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because this will allow a more logical and intuitive behavior of the Proximity Prompt when it is associated with a Model.

6 Likes

In many situations, the correct thing is to have it on the PrimaryPart so developers can actually manipulate where the indicator is shown without needing to edit the physical contents of the model.

Maybe you meant here “For my use case I expected …”?

A simple workaround is to add a separate part/model for the indicator.

That’s why I suggested a feature:

Right, but the way it is written implies that the current behavior is incorrect. It is in fact preferable over origin for many developers. Might want to adjust the sentence before that if that’s what you intended to say as well.

Thanks for the tip. I changed some sentences in the OP, look if it got better.

1 Like