ProximityPrompt won't appear in a small Part with a ConstraintWeld when RequiresLineOfSite is true

I have a small (.45, .2, .2) Cylinder as a handle of an old school high tank toilet.
The handle is made of the handle, 2 spheres, another thin ‘rope’ Part, and a (1, 1, 1) Part hanging way below to make the rope movement more realistic. All are joined by Welds.
The handle has the ProximityPrompt in it, MaxActivationDistance set to 4 studs, and RequiresLineOfSight true.

When I try testing the Prompt doesn’t appear.
If I change RequiresLineOfSight to false it appears, swinging with the handle as I want it to.
I’ve tried:

• resizing the handle to (.45, 1, 1)
  • adding a CylinderMesh to that larger handle above and changing the scale to make it appear smaller
  • making the handle physically smaller and increasing the Scale of the Mesh
  • adding an Attachment and making the Prompt a child of the Attachment (I did change the script to change the hierarchy as well)
  • moving the Attachment to an area along the Weld away from the green cube showing the Weld’s attachment point.

Each time when I test the Prompt doesn’t appear, but if I change the R.L.O.S. to false while testing it appears.

Next I moved the Attachment to an area 90 degrees away from the Weld green lines and green cubes showing the Weld’s attachment points.
This shows the Prompt correctly, but it is a workaround to how it should actually function. I can see others being confused about this lack of functionality when using small Parts that are ConstraintWelded.

What got me knowing it was the ConstraintWeld was the only post I could find while searching the forums using many different search terms:

Running Windows 11 on a year old computer and Studio recently updated as far as I can remember.

Expected behavior

I’d expect for the Prompt to show up even if the Part was sized (.001, .001, .001) and there were hundreds of welds appearing around it.

2 Likes

So I’m new to ProximityPrompts, but here’s another issue.
I have a door that swings 170 degrees, but I would like the prompt to stay at the center of the door opening whether it’s open or closed since when it’s open and the player is inside. If I put the prompt in the door Part they can’t see the prompt from the inside because the door part is now hidden from view.

I thought I’d put an Anchored Part with a prompt at the center of the door and have it stick out from the front and back side of the door like you’d do with a ClickDetector. I thought that since this Part is visible the prompt would display on both sides with RequiresLineOfSight true.
Apparently not. If the center of the Part or an Attachment at its Position is hidden behind something that is CanCollide true it doesn’t matter if the Part with the Prompt is 200 studs wide or .001 studs wide. Not a great thing for what I’m trying to do.

I’ve got around this by putting a Prompt in a flat plate that’s visible underneath the door from both sides and set the UIOffset to 0,200 to make it somewhat centered on the door opening. It isn’t great because now moving the camera around causes the UI to swing around the opening. The issue with this is that I have a short CanCollide wall just outside the door, so if my camera is lower than the height where I can see the plate it won’t show.

It’s not great but it works.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

2 Likes

Any word on this?
Seems like others wanting a prompt to stay in the center of a doorway have been using 2 prompts so at least one is visible on either side of the door.
Putting a prompt in a simple 1 Part door works just fine, if you want the prompt to swing with the door which I dont.
What seems to be a better setup is that if a ProximityPrompt is in a Part and that Part is Anchored, CanCollide false, and sticks out from from both sides of a door you’d be able to see and interact with the Prompt on either side of the door. However the Prompt is only located at the center of the Part (or Attachement) that it’s in, and is invisible from both sides of the door because the door Part(s) covers up the center of the Prompt Part (or Attachment).

I realize I can uncheck the ‘requires line of sight’ property, but then the prompt becomes visible through walls and in cases where doors are close together can cause issues with being able to see the wrong prompt. For example if you have a door in a narrow hallway with another door beside it to a side room players can walk next to the wall in the side room and see the prompt for the hall door which would be confusing.

1 Like