Public Sound Effects Upload Are Now Available for Creators

Thank you for bringing back user uploaded sounds to the Marketplace!

i am id verified and i cant upload audio under 10 seconds to public so idk what

1 Like

nvm post deleted because already know

why

Why is Roblox so strict about uploading audios?

I understand this is better than pure silence. But really? An ID verification? I understand Voice Chat being locked behind it, but audios? What about younger developers that DO NOT have an ID Card?

And y’know, I don’t feel like having to show my personal information just to upload a SFX. This is too strict, but better than what we had before, I guess. However I still and WILL hate the idea of it being locked behind Age/ID Verification.

EDIT: Just noticed, they’re asking YOU FOR YOUR HOME ADDRESS IF AGE VERIFICATION WASN’T ENOUGH? All of that just to upload a little sound? What the actual hell?

6 Likes

I can name a lot of uses for longer audio: sounds for in-game boombox tool (and other tools that a player might want to play their audio out of), ambience music, main menu music, environmental effects, and much more. After the audio update that made public audio private, players from games with features that allowed them to use public audio were understandably frustrated. Take for example Arsenal, which gave its players the ability to emote and play their own music. What’s the point of using this feature when all you have available is a bunch of boring, repetitive music and ambience sounds.

2 Likes

If ID verification is “something so optional”, then why does Roblox keep shilling it with every new feature? Personally, I don’t want Roblox — a company so notorious for their slip-ups — to have MY ID CARD, FACIAL GEOMETRY AND HOME ADDRESS. Not for one day, let alone 2 weeks, be it them or one of their buyout third parties. Even more so in this age of AI!

As for the admins, they’ve been glancing over the ID verification questions and concerns in this thread. That’s a whole other can of worms.

Why don’t more people talk about this?

3 Likes

not sure really why people dont talk much about it but for some reason everyones too busy hung over the fact that roblox now has an option for selling data, none of them even half a clue half the apps they use day to day sell their data. but i’m sure they arent using your credentials for bad purposes

quoting the official creator hub

Roblox does not store the raw ID document nor the selfie data . When you scan your government-issued ID for verification, the system generates an anonymized value, which allows Roblox to safely verify your identity without risking the exposure of your identity to others.

ikr 10 secs is not very long for a sound effect it could atleast be 30 secs at max

For an out of touch company, this should mean something, yet this is flawed. Starting the fact that you need to be old enough to verify your age so you can actually access various security features and some other services, such us this one. This alone will bar some or most of my friends whom also make small but quality games. The process honestly felt invasive but I was assured that they will delete my data within a month or so. Sure, verifying your age comes with some benefits, such us the ones mentioned above, but trading my data for extra seconds of sfx audio to be sold on the marketplace is not worth it. I would justify it if it wasn’t so restrictive and also applies to music within 120 seconds at the very least. I would recall the return of the old system if it’s possible to do so. Lastly, not able to appeal a moderated audio file is absurd and can be exploited by an already faulty moderation system which already plagues the platform. Overall, I am not impressed and I want to advocate better change than this.

1 Like

Many of us have been patient, but it has been over two years and our patience is starting to wane. We appreciate the increased communication and transparency but it is not enough.

Many creators (many of which I assume still do not trust the verification process or are unable to verify) have been waiting to upload Terms of Use-compliant public music and narration since the restrictions quoted below were implemented.

I think they would appreciate if Roblox found a way to get this fully re-enabled, even if they have to reupload their old audio (that they may have uploaded back when it required Robux to do so).
By ensuring public music uploaded does not violate the rules, experiences will be able to safely re-implement items like radios and boomboxes without being limited to 250 tracks from the Roblox catalog.

1 Like

They’ve confirmed that if they decide you (currently) can’t distribute it publicly, you can’t appeal that decision, but if the file is moderated entirely that can still be appealed.

im pretty sure its illegal to sell private credentials in U.S. or anywhere for that matter

15 Years old Without ID Verification

ARE WE ALMOST OUT OF THE WOODS?!?

sadly not. for this service you have to pay a subscription to a 3rd party company. just to be able to use a sound effect in someone else’s game. we don’t even know if its the same arguably stupid requirement that the creator has to have that asset in their inventory to use it either

1 Like

A staff member replied to my discussion thread confirming that this will unfortunately be the case. Because many experiences that allow users to play music may still be requiring input of a sound ID, I honestly think they should add a label for assets that require “acquisition” by the developer in order for the sound ID to work. Also, I believe each asset owned by DistroKid should give credit to the developer who uploaded it.

1 Like

I am very anxious for public audio uploads regardless of length, directly through Roblox, to return.

But due to the unfortunate fact that audio which breaks the rules will occasionally slip through, at this point I actually agree with the idea of the inventory requirement for music (SFX not as much).

Instead of granting a blanket permission to all experiences, music uploaders could still share their assets with all users and at the same time creators would have control over what songs are played in their games, which means audio that violates the rules (for example) would not be played without the game creator’s knowledge. The downside to this (for players), is that playable songs on a boombox would be limited to what the game creator has allowed, and the game creator would be responsible going forward for selecting a variety of songs to make the boombox enjoyable for players.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You can already do this by slightly modifying the boombox script. This is a non-issue, see Flex Your Account Age as a good example, it implements a denylist of rule breaking audio, and while its not always up to date, it catches most of it.

2 Likes

every asset type will have bad actors, many games that have ways to include UGC have a method of reporting users who misuse the feature. Roblox has a very advanced audio filtering system as seen with voice chat, where it manages to hit innocent users more than missing non-innocent users. They have the tech to regulate it, with the new report system. just put up a report function that shows all audio ids that are being heard by the client, and then have a selection menu that allows you to select which one is offending.

1 Like