Quality Issues With The Forum - Some Suggestions And Problems

These days, the quality of the forum is at an all time low.
This is basically an add-on to https://devforum.roblox.com/t/why-is-it-so-easy-to-become-a-member/645971, with a few extra suggestions.
Problems I see?

• Lots of people these days don’t use uppercase letters. They go around posting things like “ok so i need help” and stuff like that. It isn’t much of an issue, but it makes the quality of things go down.
  • Incorrect use of categories. I’m not too active on the forum, but at least once a day, I will see a topic locked because of incorrect use of categories. So many times, people will ignore the fact that you cannot ask for whole scripts in scripting support.
  • Another thing- people are allowed to post so easily! I saw a few people with just the Welcome badge, and no certified badge or a read guidelines badge. People should be required to read the guidelines before posting. I thought that was already implemented, but I don’t think it is because I saw a couple people posting without the read guidelines badge
  • This is not a problem, but a suggestion: Harsher punishments for:
  1. Not using the correct categories multiple times
  2. Lots of low-quality posts
  3. NOT FOLLOWING THE FORMAT OR RULES OF CATEGORIES
  • Another suggestion: Maybe have a flag option for low-quality posts? That would help a lot.

That’s about it…
To sum it up, I proposed some suggestions that could make the quality of the forum go up a bit.

Honestly, I have no idea how to end this

5 Likes

I’d have to disagree, everything I have seen is quite good! The community interaction and engagement is very positive and I have not seen anyone breaking Rules.

Your issue with people not using caps is, in the nicest way possible, your own problem. It doesn’t say anywhere that they need to use correct grammar to my knowledge anyway

With “low-quality” posts, sometimes it is very hard to detail and explain whatever they are posting about and it is nice to know that the community might be able to help you so that you can explain in greater depth in the future.

I come onto the DevForum every day and try to see what’s new and if I am able to help someone with something.

2 Likes

That is true, but there are times where the script kiddies will create those spammy posts.
It really defeats the purpose of the DevForum, to interact with other developers.

1 Like

Yes but the posts are taken down or locked very quickly so it isn’t really an issue.

Yes, I’m just saying it is a problem and

What I meant about that, (Not gonna point fingers) is people have made posts that make no sense, and are about 10 words.

This is a little bit of an exaggeration as you can only make posts with more than 30 characters. I think that it also has something to do with what language they speak and how good they are in English, not everyone speaks English fluently.

1 Like

I’d actually say that is an issue.

1. It clutters the forum
  2. Notice that @Community_Sage (s) have to constantly lock posts, and it wastes time.

True, but I actually have seen someone write a topic with about 10 of their own words. I don’t think pointing fingers is allowed, so I’m not gonna do that
Also, the certain person who wrote that post with about 10 or their own words actually had fluent english.
I do agree with

I do agree and I’ll also add that quite a few recently promoted Regulars don’t know where to post nowadays and just throw everything into the lounge topics where they’d be better off being in #discussion or not posted at all (if they post weird stuff in #lounge:off-topic). I feel like there should be an overseeing time for newly promoted users just to make sure that they understand that they understand how the forum works.

6 Likes

Yes, that’s fine. They are allowed to use quotes or links or whatever else to HELP and explain what they are actually trying to say. Like I said previously

If I am honest, I think it has something to do with how the category’s are described. At the moment it is not very clear and it would be especially hard for someone with special needs etc…

To add on to that, I’d really like to see

Lots of locked topics or confusing ones these days are people not carefully explaining or not follow guidelines.

I’m no regular though

4 Likes

Yes, I can agree with you on that one. When I joined the Forum I was able to post without reading it before hand.

It is not. They just post them there just for the sake of having regulars-only responses.

It may not be very clear, but the thing is, some people completely ignore the rules and guidelines.
That’s the big problem. There should be a harsher punishment for doing that multiple times.

1 Like

Well that’s the world we live in. Not everyone wants to follow the rules and go out of their way to ignore them. They will be sanctioned for doing so though.

There isn’t really a problem that I have seen.

Sometimes it isn’t a problem, but there are (and probably will forever) be posts that do not follow the rules.
I think making people read the guidelines as part of becoming a member could solve at least a bit of that. Sometimes, I just click into a topic, and find it makes no sense and does not follow rules at all. It’s very annoying.

I believe that even doing that wouldn’t change it. If people want to break the rules then they will break the rules because it has no consequence in real life for them. This site literally means nothing.

I see the point you’re making, but I think that what’s going on is fine.

I think it should be quite easy to post. You already have to become a member to make a post. (I think you need something like 3 hours of read time and 500 comments read, but I have no idea.) To ask a question you should have to wait any longer than you already have to do. The DevForum is (mostly) for asking for help.

This shouldn’t be a problem. No one is coming in and judging us for our grammar. Sure, it might be a bit hard to read, but there shouldn’t be any problems with it what so ever.

Low-quality posts are hard to spot. Well, as one person it may be easy, but everyone has a different view on low-quality.
That’s really all I have to say. I do think you make a good point, but I don’t believe anything needs to change. This Dev Forum is for asking for help. We shouldn’t need to be more careful in asking for help than we already are.

1 Like

I want to try to believe that the people on the forum are good people, but that can happen and is true.
It could (possibly) change a bit. I think lots of people just don’t read and randomly post.

1 Like