Question about triangle count in Roblox avatars

I’m currently trying to make my game assets more efficient and I’ve noticed that a medium-end mobile device like an iPhone 8 would run at a healthy 60 fps at 250k triangles drawn, and it would drop all the way to 30 fps with the triangle counts exceeding 500k.

It seems hard to create a stable fps with a 180k triangle map and 24 players when the R15 rig seems to consume 5k+ triangles:

It feels like parts like this should have much lower triangle counts, at least twice as low:

I’m really new to optimizing game graphics for lower end devices, and my questions are:

1. Are Roblox R15 block rigs as efficient as they can be?
  2. Can I rely on triangle counts being linearly related to performance?
7 Likes

There’s actually an existing feature request for making character packages more efficient:

I definitely think the triangle count in these is over the top. It makes it very difficult to create Roblox games that run well on mobile out of the box with tens of players without either standardizing character appearances or oversimplifying game maps.

10 Likes

Well if R15 is a problem then you should maybe disable it plus see if you can reduce the amount of code inside the game for better performance.

Disabling R15 is an extremely poor solution to performance concerns because you lose out on tons of character detail and animation potential. Disabling it is quite simply a non-option.
OP is asking if R15 block rigs are optimized for complexity. Inspecting in blender shows that the head mesh is the biggest contributor to polycount (846 tris). OP may be able to simplify some curve geometry on the block rig without losing too much detail.

Reducing code is also not good advice for improving performance. I can write a 3 line script that destroys performance. “Reduce code for better performance” is utterly meaningless advice.

5 Likes