Questions about Humanoids / StarterCharacters

I have Humanoid.AutomaticScalingEnabled set to False so that I can make my own characters without it being messed up during runtime. If you don’t know what that is, here’s its announcement post heres its documentation

Im wondering if these things below matter even while auto scaling is off. Will these values being wrong mess with how animations look, etc?

1 - What does StarterCharacter.LeftFoot.LeftAnkleRigAttachment do for example? What are these attachments for? Do I have to change the Position value that these attachments have or not?

im using r15 btw

2 - They have OriginalPosition parented to them, do I need this value with auto scaling off? For example if I make an arm longer and its position value is different do I have to update this every time? Would something break if I don’t? Would it mess with animations or anything like that?

3 - Same goes for the OriginalSize values parented to the character parts. Do these matter if auto scaling is off?

i have tried changing these values and experimenting and i didnt really learn anything

Thank you so much for any help! :v:

3 Likes

i just asked the roblox ai and it says all of them matter even with auto scaling off. dang that sucks

Just for future reference to anyone reading this post, heres what roblox ai said:

When Humanoid.AutomaticScalingEnabled is set to False, it means that the character’s size will not automatically adjust based on the size of the player. This allows you to create custom characters without them being affected by runtime scaling.

Now, let’s address your specific questions:

1. StarterCharacter.LeftFoot.LeftAnkleRigAttachment is an attachment point on the character’s left foot where accessories or other objects can be attached. These attachments are used to position and attach accessories to specific parts of the character’s body. The Position value of the attachment determines its position relative to the part it is attached to. If you want to change the position of the attachment, you can modify its Position value.
  2. The OriginalPosition value is used to store the initial position of a part before any scaling or modifications are applied. With AutomaticScalingEnabled set to False, the OriginalPosition value becomes more important because it represents the base position of the part. If you modify the position of a part, you should update the OriginalPosition value accordingly to ensure that animations and other features work correctly. If you don’t update the OriginalPosition value, it may cause issues with animations or other interactions.
  3. The OriginalSize values represent the initial size of the character parts before any scaling or modifications are applied. Even with AutomaticScalingEnabled set to False, the OriginalSize values still matter because they define base the size of the parts. If you modify the size of a part, you should update the OriginalSize value to match the new size. Failing to update the OriginalSize value may result in incorrect scaling or positioning of the part during animations or other interactions.

In summary, even with AutomaticScalingEnabled set to False, it is important to ensure that the attachment positions, OriginalPosition values, and OriginalSize values are correctly set. These values play a crucial role in positioning, scaling, and animating the character correctly.

1 Like