R15 causes massive CPU usage (lag) when many players close

https://gyazo.com/a776e5f7b53b34afabe2633d83d27cc7

As shown above, we’re having real issues with R15 player lag.
We aren’t setting their collisions to anything separate, this is just vanilla behavior from our understanding.
Here is the microprofiler log: microprofile-20200126-005212.html (2.5 MB)

Notable is the humanoid taking up a lot of draw. I think this is the culprit.

This isn’t mitigated by setting cancollides, collisions groups, etc. We’ve tried everything.

7 Likes

By any chance, would the humanoid’s Climbing state cause this? When the Climbing state is enabled, the humanoid raycasts in front of it frequently to check if it can climb up a given surface.

4 Likes

I’ve tried this, and unfortunately no improvement.

1 Like

Normally player characters are localized so that the player’s character is calculated by the users computer which is why you can still walk around freely when the connection is out or your kicked from the game. This video shows that not only is that not happening but players are calculated by automatic network ownership which is why your lagging by getting too close. Either the characters are archival and the server is calculating the players or a script or local script is making every player’s computer calculate unwanted movements.

3 Likes

Our game Prison Showdown is experiencing major performance degradation because we turned R15 character-character collisions off. Your issue is very similar to ours.

2 Likes

To add on to this, we at first thought it was happening because Player collisions were turned off, but nope - this happens if you keep them enabled, much like what is happening to you. Very strange.

1 Like

I have noticed something very similar but with npcs. Hopefully something gets done about this.

1 Like

Has anyone figured this problem out? This is a pretty big problem at our game aswell

I solved this by removing all Part.Touched events from bricks inside the character model

2 Likes