R6 Body Type Avatar Unification Mode Bug (R15 favoured over R6 - not unified)

R6 accessory quality is being significantly reduced in favour of R15.

Recently I have been noticing that most live experiences across the platform that support the R6 avatar type are actually unintentionally favouring R15 avatar accessories by displaying R6 accessories at a much lower quality regarding textures.

After a bit of investigating I found out that there is a setting in Studio under workspace named AvatarUnificationMode:
Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 10.48.42

It appears that with this property enabled it solves the issue and R6 accessories correctly show with high textures again as you would expect.

However here lies the issue.
When we force the avatar type to R15 this property suddenly becomes unaccessible to the developer. So it now appears that the R15 avatar type doesn’t make use of this nerf property for accessory textures unlike R6.

Setting the avatar type to player choice brings back accessibility to this property but it only applies to players who are using R6. So this means that players using R6 are having their accessory textures display at a much lower quality compared to other players using R15!

As this issue is platform wide it is unnecessary to provide direct links, system information and reproduction files.

Expected behavior

Ideally either this AvatarUnificationMode property should not exist altogether as it seems unnecessary to reduce all players accessory texture quality (or at the very least be defaulted to disabled).

If this AvatarUnificationMode feature is kept it should definitely apply not just to one body type but both R6 and R15 as to not nerf players who specifically choose to use R6.

4 Likes

For reference, AvatarUnificationMode enables/disables the R6-to-R15 rig conversion system that Roblox is working on, which will effectively transparently run a R6 style rig on top of the R15 system.

The core issue of this bug seems to be related to texture quality being forcibly dropped - R15 rigs have more textures and use more VRAM, which would explain why you’re only seeing this on a R15 rig.

3 Likes

Maybe try to investigate what the use for this is because you obviously have no idea.

Thank you for explaining this to me.
I should have researched more about what AvatarUnificationMode is before making this post.

As there is a bug report already active this post may be closed.

1 Like