R6 SpecialMesh Accessory to MeshPart

Hello robloxians from all across the world!

I am here to plead for your help regarding a certain issue of mine. You see, I have a character customization system in my game, and recently I have started to improve it a tad bit more. Most things went smoothly thankfully, yet I have ran into a roadblock I haven’t yet been able to get over.

Now, there is already a thread with my question, mainly this one: Turning a SpecialMesh into a Meshpart - Help and Feedback / Scripting Support - DevForum | Roblox

But it hasn’t proved useful, or, it only served to tell me that it isn’t possible at all
It’s been almost 9 months since that thread, and here I am hoping that perhaps there is a way to do exactly that- even if it were to be a hacky way to do it, non-standard or unorthodox.

tl;dr
I need a way to convert/automatically get an accessory with a meshpart inside instead of a specialmesh.

why?
because it makes resizing it properly in realtime a whole lot easier-
+meshparts are cool!

what did i do so far?
well, the workspace option does not work for r6.
loadasset only returns the specialmesh version
loadhumanoiddescription only returns the specialmesh.

what don't i want to do
change the game to r15 because
it’s a whole lot of work1!!1

:grinning:

1 Like

Hey-o, I have a solution to this.

First, go into workspace, and enable “MeshPartHeadsAndAccessories” (this should be on by default, but you should check to make sure just in case. After you do this, go into server storage and add a new folder. You can really call it whatever, doesn’t matter all that much. Then, insert a completely blank R15 character inside of ServerStorage, and rename it too.

Here’s where the hacky part comes in. I’m assuming you want to do this for a RP game with real time accessory editing in R6, so I’m basing this off of that. Make a new function that takes an assetId as a parameter. In this function, you should add the accessory into the game using InsertService. Then, clone the blank R15 model and put it into your folder. Rename this model to something that involves the player’s username/userid (for example, you could rename it to “AccessoryLoader_parkerjolo”). Add the accessory that you inserted to this blank R15 and it will automatically add it as a MeshPart instead of a SpecialMesh! You can then take this new, MeshPart accessory off of the blank R15 character and add it to your player. Then, just destroy the blank R15, and you’re good.

Hacky? Yes. Useful? Also yes. Accessories added to R6 characters will always be SpecialMeshes, but this is not the case with R15 characters. With them, they’re always added as MeshParts.

If you’re still confused, I have this same solution on one of my very poorly written open-sourced projects: [DEPRECATED] Parker's Game Template - Roblox

Hoped this helped!

6 Likes

The funny thing is that I did exactly this before-!
… and it did not work.

Even better is that I tried doing it again today and it worked. Gaah~!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.