R6 to R15 Adapter [Beta]: Enable R15 Tech in R6 Experiences

if it not wrong:

• :bulb: Upcoming features include upgraded avatar motion, UGC Program support for unique bodies/heads, and personalized avatars within experiences.
  • :twisted_rightwards_arrows: Tools are being developed to help R6 developers transition to R15 while preserving the classic R6 look and gameplay.
  • :arrows_counterclockwise: The R6 to R15 Adapter in Studio beta enables R6 scripts to run on R15 bodies, allowing for testing and feedback.
    screenshot.544
6 Likes

Honestly, im gonna say that the scaling is laughably bad when compared to normal proportions.

It makes my avatar look tinier and out of proportion.

Enabled:
obraz

What bugs me the most is that the edges aren’t shaded smooth, like they are on R6 avatars, alongside having rounded legs at the top.

It also seems to BREAK layered clothing SPECIFICALLY tailored for blocky avatars.

Disabled (R15):
obraz

Disabled (R6):
obraz

27 Likes

Pretty sure it isn’t. They wouldn’t purposely worsen their percentage like that. And it’s not a small amount, it was widespread confusion when it rolled out.

Pretty sure that’s not how math works.

Thus removing R6. All this “compatibility layer” really does is function as a skin for R15 to make it look like R6 while removing all the actual features of R6.

20 Likes

You do realize that people can go inactive at any time right? They forced everyone to use it quite recently - only a few months ago.

27 Likes

This is great, but please also give us a new animation pack that emulates R6 1:1. This way players can have the R6 feel regardless of whether the games they play opt into this feature.

11 Likes

Probably did that to say the 98% thing lmfao

7 Likes

that still wouldn’t be real 1:1 r6

2 Likes

For anyone interested, I think this basically a way of saying that R6 is going to be removed in the new future.

However, as long as Roblox promises that the R6 look, feel, and old scripts don’t break, there is NO REASON TO COMPLAIN. Please understand for a moment how old R6 is and how much Roblox has to hold back.

R6’s style is never going anywhere, but it is technically dead from a Ship of Theseus standpoint.

Edit: I wrote a quick article on this:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/psa-roblox-will-probably-kill-r6-in-a-ship-of-theseus-way/2557991

13 Likes

I found an FFlag for this a while ago, and unfortunately not much has changed.

The scaling is still bad, and I expected something better than just a faked R6 rig on top of an R15 one

3 Likes

Did you forget about popular r6 game exists?

IMG_3949

26 Likes

why should they remove it? the feel isn’t 1:1.

8 Likes

they made adaptation
R6 to R15
so scripts won’t break
obby will still work

3 Likes

Not anytime soon. R6 is an important part of Roblox. They also have to think of backward compatibility within old experiences.

For most people, R6 means the old classical look of a Roblox avatar. It’s simple and nostalgic. But It’s an old tech. All of R6’s features can be emulated, and right now that’s what exactly is going to happen. It’s unnecessary to keep R6 within the engine, as I said R15 can emulate all of its features, maybe even better.

Slowly but surely, after ensuring everything works well (and hopefully creating more tools allowing developers to easily work on avatars like how it’s easy to create animations for R6 :pray: ), they will sunset R6 and deprecate it for good.

4 Likes

Was referring to the animations. But there are UGC bodies that would be close to 1:1 if combined with an R6 animation pack.

3 Likes

R6 and R15 function differently, which affects obbies.

14 Likes

98% of Roblox users have R15 avatars.

2 Likes

still they should keep it in the engine as it is a for feature and maybe just not update it?

3 Likes

i know this is cap lmaòoooooooooooooo no one believes that

15 Likes

Emulation is possible, and you can easily create a custom hitbox system for obbies if you want to. However, that won’t really be necessary since animations affect character part positions, thus making it almost the exact same thing as R6.

5 Likes

Key word almost. We want the real deal dawg.

4 Likes