R6 to R15 Adapter [Beta]: Enable R15 Tech in R6 Experiences

Part of me believes you’d have to do some really hacky stuff with the new dynamic meshing API (is that what it’s called?). Would be interesting to see it done…

2 Likes

I have’t actually tried out the adapter but I thought it was an R6 rig with R15 glued onto it or something like that, but now im curious?

Its the opposite, I guess? The actual rig that you see is R15, with an invisible R6 rig on top to mirror animations.

100% agree. It can’t be perfect. But it’s something.

1 Like

I’m sorry but it is my understanding that R6 is the original avatar system?

Why should people be forced to update to R15 when in a now deleted forum post they stated “For those of you who love our current avatars (R6), you will be able to continue using these as long as your [sic] wish.” and that “Yes, you will always have the option of using an R6 avatar” and also “We are not removing R6 or R15 avatars”

With their actions they have actively gone back on promises made and I am waiting on those to reply to me with “oh but that’s why they deleted it” as if that changes the fact that they made the post and used such certainty that there would be no change instead of a “potentially in the future…”

Not to mention that old games use R6 as standard because R15 had not existed then?

19 Likes

I think the thing that’s the most annoying is that in many ways it could be (1.0, 2.0 body parts) if Roblox actually bothered to fix these longstanding issues and inconsistencies introduced 7 years ago.

4 Likes

Lmao man, sometimes it feels like they act it all. I really hope they dont remove R6 better.

3 Likes

Why would they? That would literally break the entire existance of the platform, not to mention the severe backlash.

5 Likes

This is… interesting to hear older systems not being ignored for once. I tend to spend a long time on my individual projects (not one at a time, but some of the stuff I’m still working on dates back to new years day 2013, and there are things I’ve considered updating to work with filtering that go even further back), will this “part emulation” allow r15 to be enabled in these projects that predate r15 itself without breaking scripts looking for, say, specific part names?

2 Likes

well, it’s so over.
ain’t it fun to be forced into R15 lol.

5 Likes

Why should a developer have switched to R15 if their game was originally built with R6 in mind? The blocky and simplistic nature of R6 was crucial to a lot of older games from a design standpoint but was also kept in plenty of newer games because of the simplicity of animating with it.

The developers of some older games may have also left the platform by now, but their games could still be popular. Who will fix the scripts that break if the body part names aren’t the same? Who’s going to remake all their animations in R15?

It’s downright unfair to promise backwards compatibility and then one day pull a full u-turn and just expect everybody who put faith in that promise to just deal with it.

13 Likes

And people thought the document leak was fake. Who’s laughing now? Roblox. Because they’re the ones making this change.

I am going to go with the positives first:

• I like how you are giving developers the ability to convert their games from R6 to R15, that’s very good and allows transitioning games over easier.
  • I like how you’re going to allow stuff like layered clothing to work with games that use this new adapter, that’s pretty cool.

Now, onto the bad:

The 98% statistic, while not false, isn’t exactly accurate either. It’s obviously also counting accounts that are inactive, of which a TON have been made since R15 was added and forced onto new accounts. I’d still say there are more R15 accounts, but it’s absolutely not a 98%. I’d wager it’s closer to like 70%.

The 40% more time statistic just makes no sense to include here. Body types have practically nothing to do with how long players stay in games, especially with the rise of certain games that give you completely custom body types completely removed from R6 and R15.

You mentioned nothing about if making games in the R6 style will remain just as easy to do as it is currently, you just mentioned how easy they’ll be to convert over. I would like to continue making R6-styled games, even after the original technology is deprecated and removed. Can I still animate and make games for the R6 style without the process being made harder via extra body parts?

What about older games that have been abandoned? When the technology is deprecated, what happens next? Will they be automatically converted, or will they be doomed to be completely ruined just like what happened to games during the FilteringEnabled fiasco?

That leads me to my biggest potential issue: this update can and probably even will break games that are unprepared for a change like this. If I am going to update my games from R6 to R15, I’d like the work I need done to be at the absolute bare minimum. If I need to do something significant like convert all the animations in my game individually, or update my game scripts to use R15 body part names, then I am just going to walk away from this platform.

I’ve been on the edge of moving to Godot since I found out about the huge leap in quality 4.0 made, and if R6 being deprecated hinders my workflow in any capacity or even breaks any of my games, then it’ll be the thing to make me switch over.

I really hope you know what you’re doing. Do not mess this up.

17 Likes

Pretty good bait u got there lol

8 Likes

Every time I see you on any post that mentions deprecating an old feature, you’re always calling for the most radical removal of the legacy feature without even providing much feedback on how to improve the new version of said feature so people end up disliking it less.

Sure, 98% of users use R15. I doubt the fact that 98% of users made the conscious choice to use R15. Old accounts were converted to it automatically (including my own), and then those same accounts were forcefully equipped with the Stevie Standard animated face (again, including my own, and my alternative accounts). You joined in 2007, so you would know that R6 was once the only option we had. Changing R15 to be the default instead of it being a choice, and then forcing all accounts, of which haven’t been logged into for decades, should make it obvious that the statistic is skewed in some way.

Or, it could be for a multitude of other reasons, such as an Experience’s stylistic choice, R6 being much easier to animate for certain developers, or just plain-old personal preference… you know, things that “New Roblox” aims to allow. Right now, this feature is in a beta phase and does not meet the community’s own standards for an R6 to R15 adapter, whether it be because their games are breaking entirely, or the feature generally just looks very off on most characters, and thus, rational or not, the community is giving it’s feedback.

29 Likes

If they listened to us at all we wouldn’t be in this position.

3 Likes

Why does this matter? Who cares? R6 is chosen specifically to avoid using all the natural-looking stuff, it isn’t meant to use all the new stuff the Metaverse chasing higher-ups at Roblox want. R6 is classic, and should remain classic. The fact you can’t modernize it is irrelevant. If people want to use R6 to intentionally not to incorporate all this crap Roblox is creating that nobody wants, they should be able to.

23 Likes

Don’t expect the tools to ever be functional. Just like the audio update and how we never got the sharing features or an easy way to grant permissions across all our groups. They will rush out some cheap ‘conversion’ thing and then just force the change and never look back. It’s evident by the fact that they posted this with their faceless Roblox account instead of an actual developer.
Just look at the other teams and how responsive they are with concerns like the Blender plugin thread or how responsive Bitdancer’s been with helping debug Byfron-related crashes. They don’t intend to ‘work’ with the community at all on this

14 Likes

I think this sums up how I’m feeling here all too well.

I don’t care if R6 is buggy, or if it doesn’t support new features. When I make a game and choose to force R6 I make the conscious decision to accept all the glitches and outdated tech that comes with it in order to make a game with the classic aesthetic. I personally have never noticed nor been bothered by any of the issues supposedly caused by R6 and so I only ever used R15 for games that needed realism.

15 Likes

After some short testing in studio, I can conclude the following;

1. The avatar scale looks horribly bad. My character looks like a child because of an oversized hat, and my waist is smaller than my torso, which just looks bad.
  2. It doesn’t look like it should break most scripts, but I cannot say I scrutinized every single possibility.
  3. R15 Blocky =/= R6 Blocky. The different parts are still very noticeable and the very rough edges on arms and legs are distracting to me.

I’m truly disappointed that Roblox is attempting to sell it’s image of “the metaverse” at the detriment of it’s players. Can’t leave us alone, can they?

27 Likes

That looks so horrendous that I have to ask can you show it in a Video Format?

4 Likes