Rate my lowpoly map

I recently tried to see how good the low-poly style can look.
And so far, I’m surprised by the looks of this map.
I’ve worked a few hours on this and I wanted some opinions on it.

Screenshots

37 Likes

@AdrianSystem Is it possible to get a few screenshots of the mountain in the background? It’s very good overall. You can see that you have put a lot of time into this.

3 Likes

Hey Adrian,
I love the several low poly models you added into the map (Tree’s, Buildings, Fields, etc.), although in my opinion a low poly map should be fully low poly. You’ve not achieved that by using Roblox’s Terrain Editor to make the Grass / Base and the rocks. You can easily just make plastic mountains and rocks using Blender, just like you did with the tree’s.

To sum everything up:

-Get rid of all the terrains (non low poly areas)

-Exchange the rocks and the Grass/ Base

-Use Blender to create meshes for the low poly mountains and rocks

Hope this review helped you out! Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Justin

1 Like

It looks very nice, but is there a reason of using High Poly Terrain? Its just a Question, But your Low-poly trees are very nice.

I’m a big fan of the contrast between the low-poly modelled assets and the high-poly Roblox terrain, it offers a nice aesthetic which is capped off by your beautiful lighting. In my opinion, I would possibly make it a tad bit darker, but that’s my preference.

I have to disagree with @Justin_Limited’s feedback, you should keep the terrain 100%, it reminds me slightly of Vesteria which uses a blend of low-poly and terrain.

I would suggest you implement some of the following:

• You have a lot of trees, which probably isn’t good for optimisation, so maybe remove some of the ones that aren’t really essential.
  • It looks like the large yellow blades of grass look like corn. If this is the case, I would remove some of that as well and add some more houses and structures towards the east side.
  • The castle is quite unclear but I would probably try and spend some more time on it to make it larger as it should probably be the centrepiece of your map as it is the tallest structure in the map.

Overall, I would rate it 9/10 from the images I’ve seen, and there looks to be even more going on over the horizon as well. :wink:

5 Likes

Everyone here is misusing the term “low poly.”

Anyways for the actual feedback:

The terrain is nice since you can get more bang for your buck as far as size goes. You have a huge map, and if you changed your terrain for Part of Mesh terrain, you’d be stuck with either making huge portions of terrain with a large triangles (which would be sacrificing the nice rolling and minute height variants of smooth terrain), or you’d have to add in a ton of smaller triangles which is just time consuming with minimal payoff.

As for the trees - which are a focal point and make up a pretty big percentage of each picture, add in more variants (species) of tree assets. For example, here’s a forested area I worked on a few years ago, it’s for a small lobby so memory use wasn’t an issue and I could fill in the entire space enough to be believable. The style of the game is similar in that it’s also flat shading with no texture (not low poly):

In this picture you can see birch, ash, oak, poplar and a few other tree species that can make your map look less homogeneous. Biodiversity can create more interesting visuals.

Another examples of biodiversity would be these actual lowpoly asset I made relatively recently:

They’re made of the same 8-10 low poly meshparts just arranged and coloured in different ways to maximize instancing and create a variable forest full of biodiversity. The real performance costs are the textures - which was planned for, though I know that your style is more on the textureless, which is fine too.

Finally, and this is a tip that I myself have learned just in the past few months. Basically, if you know that you have a huge area to fill with assets, and performance is a concern (which, for Roblox, unfortunately always is a concern), try clumping up your forest assets like this:

Because - to be frank - sometimes filling up a map to a point where the player will feel like the map is full enough just isn’t possible, so a way around this is to make dispersed assets into a kind of design choice in the map layout. This can help with guiding players, sight lines, and just generally is more performance friendly.

All things considered, it’s a really nice build :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Slightly off-topic, but thank you for continuing your crusade against imprecise language :muscle:

I definitely agree on limiting foliage, it’s filler (how much can a player engage with a tree?) Uses up precious rendering time, which is better spent on things the player is going to be more interested in

2 Likes

This is a beautiful low-poly map! I would give it a 10/10! It looks fantastic!

Hey!
Just wanted to rate your low poly map in a quick and easy way which won’t force you to read too much.

Great job at the terrain, it has a lot of detail for such a low poly map, same with the overall quality and lighting of it.
However, perhaps the small village which has a castle can be improved slightly? Add some shops, critters, or anything for the matter. Same with the statue next to it.
Great job overall! Looking forward to working with you one day.

I would rate it a 9-10. The map looks amazing if you are going for a medieval theme. The low poly trees look amazing as well. I am a fan of the designs. But there are some negatives. My first one is that:

There are to many trees. I would suggest removing some trees.

Try and use blender to create better low poly mountains and rocks.

Keep up the good work! :smiley: