Rate parts of my game map? Will Accept Criticism

I’m a very new game developer. I have been a game developer for about 6 months working on my game Meeskop’s Neighborhood. I would like to know what you guys think about my game for example, how it is built, design, etc. I will link the game and some screen shots here. Any ideas on how to improve or criticism is appreciated.

The game

Some Screenshots

2 Likes

Alright for starters I would say with enough effort this game definitely has potential.

As for the map the first thing I would like to say is it’s really random. There are massive statues of ROBLOX avatars and huge lobsters. I would recommend you put more planning into the map for starters and make it look like an actual city. It looks like it was rushed works which it shouldn’t considering 6 months was spent so far.

The development style seems like I am playing Welcome to the town of Robloxia which I think could be updated to be a little more modern. The GUIs could definitely do with some refining.

The spawn is also interesting. Perhaps instead of spawning us into the sky where we have to jump into the city you could have multiple spawn points in the city just to make it a little more natural and then have a team change GUI.

Moreover the buildings are a little bland. Perhaps use different decals and have a variety of shapes.

It’s a good start but needs lots of refining.

4 Likes

hey thanks for your feedback by the way in the spawn there was a pad to step on to teleport down to ground

You have made a nice start. However there is a few issues.

Issues:

• Some of the buildings look a bit odd. One of them is huge and another is really tall and thin. Try and adjust the sizes so they look more realistic and blend in with each other.

• There is way to much going on. For example their is random things dotted around the map. Try and make a place for them to fit. For example the lobster could be near some water.

• In the desert area try and vary the trees as they all look the exact same. Try and adjust the sizes of them.

• In the lobby area, there is a lot of little mistakes. For example there is block in block by the pool. Then their is a gap in the ceiling. The truck on that platform is slightly sunk into it.

Here is some screenshots:
There is a gap here.

The two right hand circles are where the block in block is.

Advise:

• When you make huge open maps try and plan them out. This will help you keep everything consistent. As consistency is key.

• Don’t have too much going on. If their is loads going on the whole feel of the map isn’t good. Make sure everything has a place and it blends in with the rest of the build.

1 Like

I didn’t play the game so I’m making this review based on the screenshots.

Screenshot I

• Buildings too similar to jailbreak

• Odd color scheme

Screenshot II

• Same goes for the buildings in this screenshot, too similar to Jailbreak with an odd color scheme

• More tree templates instead of one

That is a sick snowman and some cool particle emitters

Screenshot III

• Synthetic/fake looking NPC (I understand though, it’s a statue, it just looks—odd)

• Bad choice of water on terrain

• A red building that does not match the theme

• Sudden transition of grass to rock terrain

Other than that, the build is decent. There can be ways to improve, like adding more detail. Just try fixing everything I stated, and maybe add a few extra details.
Hint: Try changing your rendering level to 21, it makes the build look nicer. :wink:

thanks for the feedback my setting of rendering is on 21 but i was i a little bit far away from the water so it appeared that way. also thanks for letting me know about how the snow looks. Where is the bad choice of water i may need to fix it. ill get rid of the red building replace it with one which will match better i will also try to add some detail to the buildings. Do you have a idea for the sudden transition from grass to rock? ill try to make the npc look more natural. the colors i can change. The material for the building is neon it makes it look good at night and it lights up like a city. i will try to make more different trees. thanks

alright i fixed the gaps and the block in the block. i will adjust the size and rotation of the trees in the desert area. could use some details. i will add the lobster near some water. i will try to make the buildings less odd. i will try and make less going on but still keeping the neighborhood feel. i will adjust the sizes of the building to blend in more.

i recently made that movie theater smaller. and that grass transition ii will fix that mabye add some blending. to it and i will show you a updated picture of the red building

i cant scale the palm trees down it wont let me for some reason? i can make them bigger but not smaller then the normal size

Hello! Your build is very nice, I honestly think it has potential into becoming a great game! Keep up the great work! However, you can adjust things.

– Things that may need fixing –

• Buildings are a bit too similar and has an odd color(s) to it…

• The Terrain that’s made of water located on the 3rd picture, behind the vampire. I don’t see anything that’s emitting the water and/or if it has a purpose. Unless if so, it’s suppose-(ly) ice, I still don’t see any source.

• Trees… So, one thing that needs fixing are the trees. Especially the one(s) in the 2nd map. I’d prefer some of the trees having roots and/or more branches. I’d also add a more diverse one into the 1st map.

. Other than these, I think that your map is great! Well done!

1 Like

ok ill show you where the water comes from

hey thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Thank you, it’s very nice! [I DIDN’T PLAY THE GAME ;-;]

its ok lol don’t worry but I will consider the things you have mentioned

Oh boy, I can remember when I used to build like this lol. Anyway, thanks for being open for constructive criticism. That’s how you can tell a builder really wants to improve his work. And I hope you won’t mind if I’m up front.

There is a clear standard for building right now and artistic, stylistic games tend to soar higher than those which aren’t. Look at Bloxburg, Phantom Forces, Jailbreak; their building styles follow a specific, intrinsic mantra. Their colours coordinate, their styles are not sporadic. I don’t think the same can be said here.

The terrain your game has is completely flat and not at all energetic as some other games have theirs. There are free models everywhere, and this is blatantly obvious. In my opinion, free models for scripting are fine. Free models for building are inexcusable. We have reached a point on Roblox now where they really shouldn’t be used unless it’s completely necessary – for example, I used a free model mesh in one of my recent builds.

The city you have created lacks emotion. It is a cacophony of colours that don’t really represent anything. It is completely unrealistic insofar that the buildings stand yards away from the road itself, half-sunken into the grassy plains. This doesn’t coordinate to how a city looks. It doesn’t feel realistic.

I could go on forever about what I dislike about your game, but I won’t. That would not be productive. Instead, I’ll recommend how you can improve as a builder.

Firstly, look at other games for inspiration, be it EBR builds, front page games, or showcases. There are always games out there that require attention, in which builders have poured their heart and soul. Here, I’ll recommend some.

Games

The Old Cellar 1918
Tranquility

These two showcases are the most memorable ones that spring to mind. There are many more, however. You can see how much detail has been added, how certain objects have been given life, but not everything. Building is an art and you have to know when to emphasise one object and when to minimalise another. In my opinion, this is what you’re struggling with. Everything is highly basic and minimalised, but not artistically. It’s done on the account of inexperience.

So look at other games. See how professional builders exact their work. Then decide to yourself not to make a large, ambitious build, but to make something small, be it an object, a room, an idea. Don’t make it huge but keep it plain. Focus on the object. Make it artistic, simplistic, enigmatic, emotional. This takes much more than bricks but also commands lighting and passion. It is a highly abstract and complex thing to talk about but if building is what you want to go into, this is kind of what you have to understand.

For me, my passion for detail began when I saw those EBR builds and I wanted to be like them. Of course, in 2015 I sucked, then in 2016 I sucked but I was better. In 2017 and 2018, better; and in 2019, in my opinion, much better. Building is a process, Meeskop. Don’t expect to make a huge game right off the bat.

Anyway, I’ve taken up space on your thread long enough :P. If you want more advice, feel free to drop me a PM.

@Alexander_Ashford Aptly put.

6 Likes

Great idea on creating your own neighborhood game! For me, when I played this game in the current state, it lacked a sense of variety as there wasn’t much to interact with other than NPC dialog or driving around. (I couldn’t really understand what I could do in-game).

My advice for the current stage the game stands in: Add new car designs to the game instead of using the same jeep car. Just the right amount of creativity and variety can really get gamers attracted and engaged with the game. Make it simplistic, don’t over complicate it.

Keep up the great work and remember that patience is key when it comes to developing!

well thanks for the feedback yes patience is key, but there is alot to do but i dont think people visit them. I was thinking of making markers to show where points of interest are.

Here are the things to do

Donut Shop where you can buy donuts with cash and eat them

Drive in movie theater at the beach where a Series of movies play the series is the duck movie you have some benches laying on palm trees and next to the drive in you have a bacon man selling you a burger a soda and popcorn.

Normal movie theater you can watch two movies here one is the evolution of meeskop’s neighborhood.

There has been a long storyline i have been making in my game for 2 months

There is a club where you can listen to music and dance with almost 40 dances to do

there is a Park where you can ride swings, slide down a slide, and a seesaw but you need two people for the seesaw to work.

In spawn there is a lounge area where you can sit around and there is a piano where you can play all sorts of songs.

That is mainly all points of interest.

as for adding new car designs yes i have different jeep variants like the hover jeep and the roofed jeep, but i and not good in making new cars that a whole different process. yes people have been asking for them but i have no idea how to make them.

But anyway thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

I would say that you map is a little blank, and could use a little more assets to fill a lot of that blank space.

I would also suggest on improving the buildings, as they have sort of blocky aspect. Unless that is what you want which is 100% okay!

In regards to the buildings, they all have the same designs, and are just recolored and scaled. Maybe try making even a few different style?

Best of luck to you and your game!

1 Like

hey thanks right now i am making new designs for the building what do you think?