RDC24: What We Announced

You misinterpreted that part of my reply.

Speech to text, assuming there’s no indicator to tell when the game is actively looking for things you say, can easily be abused by malicious developers to read off what people are saying and log all that information elsewhere.
(for example, lets say speech to text only runs code when the developer chosen word/phrase is said. What’s to stop someone from either putting an extremely large list of words in and making it track everything? Or someone finding a way to make it extra vague so it activates on every word?)

2 Likes

Even if the Roblox game was of equal or higher quality than the Steam game?

2 Likes

We are aware of this issue and are working to release the fix shortly. In the meantime, as a workaround, please try removing the audio you added and re-inserting it again into the experience. Doing this a second time should make the audio work in-game as expected.

5 Likes

You should not be looking for excuses.

1. Roblox games with same quality of Steam games are still backed by Roblox’s services offered to developers such as server uptime, data stores, financial conversion, and such. With the addition of being paid by playtime, you’ll likely get the same or a little bit less amount of money with smaller community and a slower growth rate.
  2. Roblox’s engine and limitations will very unlikely allow games to surpass most high quality Steam games.
  3. Has anyone made a game that is as big as RDR2 with s*** tons of voice line, contents, advanced post-processing effects (impossible), and entity models?

It is your choice whether you want to set your game to the most optimal and earning or failure out of an attempt on raising floor price for paid Roblox games. I won’t stop you. The usual player base will be upset, but if that’s what satisfies your mind.

If you really want to think about setting your game’s price above $20 on a platform that already pays everything and you for each playtime, consider moving to Steam, work with more responsibility but less restrictive engines, and maybe that’ll give you an insight why there are games outside of Roblox that are expensive as $20 or more.

3 Likes

omg hi that’s meeeee helloooo

rdc this year was so good all of these new features are rlly exciting, nice work team 🫶🏽

1 Like

They said that they planned to have a new forum next year, and they said that 7 years ago.

1 Like

I think the asset manager is the replacement for that instead it all being inside the messy toolbox.

Because we still don’t have a search bar for group assets, and I don’t think it will come due the upcoming asset manager, what’s basically the toolbox but more organized with search bar.

I only hope the asset manager is something you can setup-per studio/group so every dev within the same team has access to the same sorted libraries. Not that everyone needs to setup themselves and sort out everything.

2 Likes

Are you serious… In order to finally be able to play your own audio in other people’s roblox games, that other people can hear, you have to pay a subscription to a 3rd party music company. Why can we not just use our own sound effect in someone else’s game.

why are these still the only options ever since the audio removal update:

we have to be friends with the game creator

the game creator has to have your audio in their inventory

you have to have studio access to the game

you have to pay a subscription to upload your audio to a publisher

you have to had uploaded the audio asset years ago

Even after paying Robux and ID verifying to upload the audio “publicly”, you still need a direct connection with the game creator. It is infuriating that every method aside from the upcoming 3rd party publisher method requires you to have direct contact with the game developers or an actual time machine to go back in time before the removal update. NONE of these “revert” the public audio removal update.

I fear that the 3rd party music system will also needlessly restrict it so you cant use it in a game unless the creators manually chose that audio to be playable.

Why cant game creators have the option to choose between allowing all “public” audio to be played in their game, instead of manually approving every asset through arguably stupid and ridiculously excessive means, or keep the current “public” audio system.

What we have right now is not “public” audio. I’m tired of waiting years just to be able to use one sound effect in one game. I’m tired of not being able to customize what songs play on my plots in building games. I’m tired of these “fixes” that all still rely on contact with the game creator, and I’m tired of talking to a brick wall on the dev forums all this time. I don’t care if I will have to spend 500 robux per second of audio at this point, as long as its back at an accessible level I will be happy. Many others will be happy as well.

3 Likes

Asset manager is for 1 game only. what if we want to make a game in local file before uploading it to ROBLOX. that is better than asset manager

I feel like you’re better off just saving a dictionary of the instance properties, as giving us the option to save instances would store unnecessary data

I’m REALLY excited for folders inside of Asset Manager. Can’t wait to use it!
But it still pains me a bit that Animations aren’t on there. Migrating them has always been a pain, and finding them through the list is even more painful. That’s my only concern, I love everything else, and am stocked for every new update you guys have to offer!

1 Like

if you’re talking about xbox chat, i don’t think that’s ever coming. i think it has something to do with xbox policies or something like that

My main point still stands, a person who uses voice chat is completely liable for the things they say. The voice chat is already being recorded for moderation and other important purposes, it is still your fault if a dev maliciously tracks certain words to get personal information off of you. If for any reason anyone doesn’t feel its safe or doesn’t trust a certain game with having access to their voice input, they can choose not to opt-in as no one is forced to. It’s good to have insight that developers may potentially misuse this feature, but the feature in and of itself is innocent and good and Roblox already has rules in line to prevent and punish those who may try to do what you mentioned. I apologize if I’m still not hearing what you’re saying, I’m not disagreeing with you, just provide missing information.

Will developers be given the ability to opt-in for Occlusion Culling in their experiences very soon? I’m very stoked about its technology but it being tested on specific experiences only is very disheartening to hear for a lot of developers who work on games with larger maps and smaller playerbases.

4 Likes

I apologize in advance for the rant!

Some of this stuff is pretty cool, but honestly I HATE AI generated stuff. I get that it’s currently all the rage right now, but at this point, we’re just giving people even more opportunities to make low effort shovelware at an even faster rate. Just imagine how many soulless and uninspired games might pop up. The thing that makes a lot of games good is passion from the creator, and passion isn’t something that AI can replicate or even begin to imitate.

1 Like

Yeah there isn’t discord integration due to the risk of predatory activity when moving to discord from roblox,since you may not know the person.

2 Likes

I love the group updates! I won’t have to get players to go to a third party website for feedback anymore.

This is surely going to be an interesting development for Roblox. Especially for creators looking to monetize their experiences with real currency. But I am in absolute agreement: a little more safeguards or enhancements that would ensure the quality of content being offered on this new model should at least be considered.

First, publishing paid access games should be behind a paywall. The way Steam does is charging a $100 fee to publish a title, Roblox can take a small fee from developers who would like to provide paid experiences. That will make sure that the low-effort or spammy content gets filtered out and real-money-paying users get experiences which are better developed. The refund for the paywall could be returned under the condition-if and only if-the game passes certain thresholds of quality or popularity, somewhat like the SteamGreenlight process that makes the developer need to actually create something worthwhile.

That’s why I believe Roblox should include a special tab or category titled “Paid Games.” While it would be much easier to discover such premium experiences for users, at the same time, it gives credence to those developers who price their games in the higher tiers. It could even show curated selections or highlight new, trending paid games, so that more visibility is given to the developers, and due to all that, they may work on developing their products in much more polished ways.

Another option to consider would be to add a trial period or money-back guarantee with paid games. A lot of users are going to be very leery about spending $10, $30, or even $50 on a game they have never tried. Give them a small trial, demo, or refund policy that can reduce buyer hesitation and make players feel more confident about spending money. It could also be based on major platforms such as Steam, whereby a refund is available if the user has played for less than a certain amount of hours.

Lastly, Roblox could implement some sort of review system for paid access experiences. While user ratings and reviews do go through the platform already, more strict requirements or a different review system for the paid games would help keep quality high. Verified reviews by players who actually have purchased the experience would give future buyers a more realistic view of what to expect out of a certain game.

This is a step forward with this real currency model, but overall, Roblox should be considering these features to make sure that this new monetizing method benefits the users and increases the quality of the games being developed.

1 Like

A money-back guarantee??? from ROBLOX??? That’s wishful thinking haha. But you do make a good point.

Roblox DID NOT buy Discord. To my knowledge, they acquired Guilded, which is a completely separate platform to Discord. They integrated the Roblox group announcements with Guilded.

4 Likes