RDC24: What We Announced

if you’re talking about xbox chat, i don’t think that’s ever coming. i think it has something to do with xbox policies or something like that

My main point still stands, a person who uses voice chat is completely liable for the things they say. The voice chat is already being recorded for moderation and other important purposes, it is still your fault if a dev maliciously tracks certain words to get personal information off of you. If for any reason anyone doesn’t feel its safe or doesn’t trust a certain game with having access to their voice input, they can choose not to opt-in as no one is forced to. It’s good to have insight that developers may potentially misuse this feature, but the feature in and of itself is innocent and good and Roblox already has rules in line to prevent and punish those who may try to do what you mentioned. I apologize if I’m still not hearing what you’re saying, I’m not disagreeing with you, just provide missing information.

Will developers be given the ability to opt-in for Occlusion Culling in their experiences very soon? I’m very stoked about its technology but it being tested on specific experiences only is very disheartening to hear for a lot of developers who work on games with larger maps and smaller playerbases.

4 Likes

I apologize in advance for the rant!

Some of this stuff is pretty cool, but honestly I HATE AI generated stuff. I get that it’s currently all the rage right now, but at this point, we’re just giving people even more opportunities to make low effort shovelware at an even faster rate. Just imagine how many soulless and uninspired games might pop up. The thing that makes a lot of games good is passion from the creator, and passion isn’t something that AI can replicate or even begin to imitate.

1 Like

Yeah there isn’t discord integration due to the risk of predatory activity when moving to discord from roblox,since you may not know the person.

2 Likes

I love the group updates! I won’t have to get players to go to a third party website for feedback anymore.

This is surely going to be an interesting development for Roblox. Especially for creators looking to monetize their experiences with real currency. But I am in absolute agreement: a little more safeguards or enhancements that would ensure the quality of content being offered on this new model should at least be considered.

First, publishing paid access games should be behind a paywall. The way Steam does is charging a $100 fee to publish a title, Roblox can take a small fee from developers who would like to provide paid experiences. That will make sure that the low-effort or spammy content gets filtered out and real-money-paying users get experiences which are better developed. The refund for the paywall could be returned under the condition-if and only if-the game passes certain thresholds of quality or popularity, somewhat like the SteamGreenlight process that makes the developer need to actually create something worthwhile.

That’s why I believe Roblox should include a special tab or category titled “Paid Games.” While it would be much easier to discover such premium experiences for users, at the same time, it gives credence to those developers who price their games in the higher tiers. It could even show curated selections or highlight new, trending paid games, so that more visibility is given to the developers, and due to all that, they may work on developing their products in much more polished ways.

Another option to consider would be to add a trial period or money-back guarantee with paid games. A lot of users are going to be very leery about spending $10, $30, or even $50 on a game they have never tried. Give them a small trial, demo, or refund policy that can reduce buyer hesitation and make players feel more confident about spending money. It could also be based on major platforms such as Steam, whereby a refund is available if the user has played for less than a certain amount of hours.

Lastly, Roblox could implement some sort of review system for paid access experiences. While user ratings and reviews do go through the platform already, more strict requirements or a different review system for the paid games would help keep quality high. Verified reviews by players who actually have purchased the experience would give future buyers a more realistic view of what to expect out of a certain game.

This is a step forward with this real currency model, but overall, Roblox should be considering these features to make sure that this new monetizing method benefits the users and increases the quality of the games being developed.

1 Like

A money-back guarantee??? from ROBLOX??? That’s wishful thinking haha. But you do make a good point.

Roblox DID NOT buy Discord. To my knowledge, they acquired Guilded, which is a completely separate platform to Discord. They integrated the Roblox group announcements with Guilded.

4 Likes

This is an absolutely amazing addition to Roblox. For really the first time, we now have a viable alternative to the traditional free-to-play/microtransactional business model that is so prevalent on the platform currently.

I do have two questions:

One, is it it possible that $9.99 experiences be given a higher 60/70% revenue share? Increasing the price of a game by $10.00 for a 10% increase in revenue share seems somewhat prohibitive considering the loss in sales volume.
Two, is Roblox planning to introduce a “library” system for a user’s purchased games? (Something similar to other platforms like Steam)
Thanks!

3 Likes

I know that, I got distracted by something else at the same time and ended up writing “it” instead of Guilded, my bad.

3 Likes

I was assuming this too until Roblox recently acquired Bloxlink, the biggest Roblox related Discord bot. I think they’ve finally realised no one wants to migrate to Guilded for no reason other than the fact “roblox wants us too”. They’ll do something for Discord eventually I hope

I’m not making excuses, there’s nothing to be excused. I’m actively advocating for the change because I believe it’s smart.

1. It opens the door to higher quality games on the platform
  2. I believe the criticism I replied to is short-sighted

Paid games should be priced in relation to how much value they deliver to players. I believe it’s absolutely possible to create a game today on Roblox that’s worth $20+. And as platform limitations continue to erode year after year, the amount of value that’s able to be delivered will continue to increase.

No it would not have been smart to attempt a game like that prior to the option for 70/30 revenue split. It still might not be smart to attempt that for some years, but you’re putting the cart before the horse by suggesting that AAA quality games should exist before AAA pricing options are available.

You will never know what people will do with the feature…
and you could already set your paid access Roblox game to some obscene amount of Robux.

Put it like this, if no one has proved that an AAA game with the current tools they have is possible on Roblox, there shouldn’t be any AAA price tag option because it just doesn’t make sense. You could just already pay by Robux though. The main issue here is that people will try to abuse, turn most of the games into paid access, and price gouge it. We know we can’t trust developers on platform with the current state of the front page being bunch of simulators, uncreative tycoons, and AI generated crapslop.

Maybe go make a triple A game first, impress the public, and set the paid access to 60k Robux.

This is the concern, and I don’t care about Roblox adding USD option or a hypothetical high-end game on Roblox having a price. I care about mid games thinking they have rights to make their game cost USD$11.99 and price gouging. Mid games being games that has the characteristics of a usual Roblox game such as bad lighting due to the lack of pos-proc effects, poor performance due to the lack of tools, and the charm of the game itself because generally, Roblox developers are UNCREATIVE. I care about developers forgetting that they’re already getting paid by playtime and most of the expense is already covered by Roblox overall. For most of the games on Roblox, they do not need to cost 12 dollars or euros.

Ask yourself. Are you planning to create a triple A game? Are you planning at least create a high-end storytelling games or maybe an actually creative sandbox game that mogs out of the others with the highest quality models? Are you wise enough and able to utilize the hidden gems of the engine itself to create an out-of-the-ordinary experience to replicate the potent of Steam games or beyond? If not, do you really need to price the game to such a price for the average Roblox player? Based on the question, you either set it to USD$60, 200 robux, or just leave it free. Even $7 or 500 Robux is just… insane. Locking your mid games to paid access for 300 Robux, $5, or more is going to leave it as dead unless it’s Deepwoken or B:R quality.

Glad you’re enjoying a lot of the things we’re working on here at Roblox!

As one of the engineers working on parties, I can assure you that this version of parties does not pull all users in the party into the experience without their explicit permission. When someone picks an experience for the party, party members will be prompted with an option to accept or decline

8 Likes

Do we have a date on when scaling creation will release?

ROBLOX does make good updates, people who don’t look at the devforum live under rocks… But anyways, this is a pretty good update! :happy3:

Also when will brazilian servers come?!

4 Likes

Nothing in Xbox policies stops a “chat” system from not being on Roblox. Just wanted to tell you this.

I know the revenue share for paid experiences in local currency is supposed to come out later this year. Is there any sort of estimate of which month / more precisely when I could expect to see that roll out?

1 Like

I hope to get more information on the group changes soon, these updates seem great but this group to community conversion has me worried if it is going to affect the war clan community (and of course all the games that use groups).

3 Likes