RDC24: What We Announced

The MicroProfiler changes are pretty sweet. The two biggest changes I really am going to enjoy are improved DataStores and more control over avatars. Can’t tell you how much of a hassle it was swatting UGC avatars like flies because of the small hitboxes they’d have.

Roblox has been moving to make their platform more viable for large companies to use (as seen by the changes to their advertising system and more), whether these changes are actually convincing companies to use Roblox or not, I’m not sure.

These changes i am aware of, but even then Roblox still suffers from quite a few major flaws which would logically drive away most companies looking to make a game. But hey, maybe roblox itself isnt looking for actual game companies but rather entities like Pepsi or Adidas which would make sense. After all roblox dosent care about quality.

2 Likes

That’s a good point, I think this is probably the most likely situation.

2 Likes

Why are you hating on me for no reason? First of all the only point you made (the match making system not being in the post) was a lie, and secondly speak for yourself. Lots of developers want a match making system.

Uh ok… but when?

Ok what’s weird is 9yr olds and voice chat in the same announcement.

So Brookhaven will be like “Get VIP + A LEGIT PLUSHIE OF MR BROOKHAVEN FOR ADMIN!” Or something?

WAIT WHAT? WE ARE GETTING TO MAKE SIRI?

Clip It*

6 years late to have it in a legit group?

Group chat*

Thanks for my opinion!

BONUS TIME!

So uh we get this I guess?

You’re assuming games are going to stay around the same level of quality. You can look at the games on Roblox today and note that there aren’t any worth $25+. But you could also look at all the reasons why developers don’t bother to create games of that quality, and then look at the addition of the USD and increased profit share options as something that removes one barrier and pushes the quality ceiling up.

Updates aren’t always intended to make things better now. Sometimes they’re intended to allow for the potential of things to be better sometime in the future.

6 Likes

I’m not only considering the quality. I’m considering the factors and many Roblox players are already pretty much used to prices under $10 when it comes to playing games. In addition, off-platform games had to afford their own server and uptime which many Roblox games do not have to worry about as they consistently get paid per playtime while Roblox deals with the platform.

Honestly, I would pay $20 on Steam but not even $7 on Roblox.

3 Likes

I’m very excited for occlusion culling, it’s also great to see some of the other features announced as well coming to the platform, such as Improved Data Stores.

The DistroKid integration is great, however despite their library being public on roblox and being able to be played on the website, nothing actually ends up working in-game as it tells me that I need to grant access. Is this something that can be fixed or is it a problem on my end?

1 Like

You misinterpreted that part of my reply.

Speech to text, assuming there’s no indicator to tell when the game is actively looking for things you say, can easily be abused by malicious developers to read off what people are saying and log all that information elsewhere.
(for example, lets say speech to text only runs code when the developer chosen word/phrase is said. What’s to stop someone from either putting an extremely large list of words in and making it track everything? Or someone finding a way to make it extra vague so it activates on every word?)

2 Likes

Even if the Roblox game was of equal or higher quality than the Steam game?

2 Likes

We are aware of this issue and are working to release the fix shortly. In the meantime, as a workaround, please try removing the audio you added and re-inserting it again into the experience. Doing this a second time should make the audio work in-game as expected.

5 Likes

You should not be looking for excuses.

1. Roblox games with same quality of Steam games are still backed by Roblox’s services offered to developers such as server uptime, data stores, financial conversion, and such. With the addition of being paid by playtime, you’ll likely get the same or a little bit less amount of money with smaller community and a slower growth rate.
  2. Roblox’s engine and limitations will very unlikely allow games to surpass most high quality Steam games.
  3. Has anyone made a game that is as big as RDR2 with s*** tons of voice line, contents, advanced post-processing effects (impossible), and entity models?

It is your choice whether you want to set your game to the most optimal and earning or failure out of an attempt on raising floor price for paid Roblox games. I won’t stop you. The usual player base will be upset, but if that’s what satisfies your mind.

If you really want to think about setting your game’s price above $20 on a platform that already pays everything and you for each playtime, consider moving to Steam, work with more responsibility but less restrictive engines, and maybe that’ll give you an insight why there are games outside of Roblox that are expensive as $20 or more.

3 Likes

omg hi that’s meeeee helloooo

rdc this year was so good all of these new features are rlly exciting, nice work team 🫶🏽

1 Like

They said that they planned to have a new forum next year, and they said that 7 years ago.

1 Like

I think the asset manager is the replacement for that instead it all being inside the messy toolbox.

Because we still don’t have a search bar for group assets, and I don’t think it will come due the upcoming asset manager, what’s basically the toolbox but more organized with search bar.

I only hope the asset manager is something you can setup-per studio/group so every dev within the same team has access to the same sorted libraries. Not that everyone needs to setup themselves and sort out everything.

2 Likes

Are you serious… In order to finally be able to play your own audio in other people’s roblox games, that other people can hear, you have to pay a subscription to a 3rd party music company. Why can we not just use our own sound effect in someone else’s game.

why are these still the only options ever since the audio removal update:

we have to be friends with the game creator

the game creator has to have your audio in their inventory

you have to have studio access to the game

you have to pay a subscription to upload your audio to a publisher

you have to had uploaded the audio asset years ago

Even after paying Robux and ID verifying to upload the audio “publicly”, you still need a direct connection with the game creator. It is infuriating that every method aside from the upcoming 3rd party publisher method requires you to have direct contact with the game developers or an actual time machine to go back in time before the removal update. NONE of these “revert” the public audio removal update.

I fear that the 3rd party music system will also needlessly restrict it so you cant use it in a game unless the creators manually chose that audio to be playable.

Why cant game creators have the option to choose between allowing all “public” audio to be played in their game, instead of manually approving every asset through arguably stupid and ridiculously excessive means, or keep the current “public” audio system.

What we have right now is not “public” audio. I’m tired of waiting years just to be able to use one sound effect in one game. I’m tired of not being able to customize what songs play on my plots in building games. I’m tired of these “fixes” that all still rely on contact with the game creator, and I’m tired of talking to a brick wall on the dev forums all this time. I don’t care if I will have to spend 500 robux per second of audio at this point, as long as its back at an accessible level I will be happy. Many others will be happy as well.

3 Likes

Asset manager is for 1 game only. what if we want to make a game in local file before uploading it to ROBLOX. that is better than asset manager

I feel like you’re better off just saving a dictionary of the instance properties, as giving us the option to save instances would store unnecessary data

I’m REALLY excited for folders inside of Asset Manager. Can’t wait to use it!
But it still pains me a bit that Animations aren’t on there. Migrating them has always been a pain, and finding them through the list is even more painful. That’s my only concern, I love everything else, and am stocked for every new update you guys have to offer!

1 Like