RDC24: What We Announced

This is gonna be super freaking cool. This will definitely have the players a lot more immersed in their experiences now.

3 Likes

I didnt see anything mentioning the improvement of moderation which is what every developer has been wanting for a long time.

1 Like

Still waiting on roblox assets moderation getting fixed, although some of these new updates are pretty good.

3 Likes

You will still be able to use Robux pricing for paid access. Real-world currency (USD) is now an additional option available to you. We updated this post to clarify.

10 Likes

Why can’t we have that for plugins as well? I would love to see plugins that cost robux instead of USD. That’s obviously if the creator wants to sell their plugin for robux.

14 Likes

Exciting stuff. Been on this platform developing since 2008.

Lately - especially the past year or so, checking in on what’s new has felt like a holiday morning. Very proud of the staff for the steps they’ve been taking and the improvements to the platform. They’ve been fantastic.

Here’s to 2025!

4 Likes

everything is cool but the ai shit

3 Likes

the party feature is what we needed

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification

2 Likes

I absolutely love the new Studio AI.

3 Likes

Will there be an option for developers to be able to set it, or is it the user’s choice what they pay with? If developer set, can there be an option to make the payment method user choice, and not equivalent to the other? (For example, maybe a game that costs 500 robux but if you pay in real money 10 dollars)

Out of all the anouncements : Communities is something that I’m REALLY excited about. The comeback of Forums in a different execution is an addition that really has me ecastic.

Yes, there is Discord, but imagine now being able to interact with your community in a more tight-knit circle (and more importantly, ON the WEBSITE).

Coming in 2024 too? I’m pleasantly surprised.

3 Likes

Well, almost everything looks fine… I guess…

I’m glad parties are finally getting added, they’ll probably never be used by most people, due to the fact that discord… exists

Groups turning into communities and forums coming back is awesome!

STT will probably be used to hilarious effect… (and probably some genuinely unique gameplay mechanics)

FINALLY OCCLUSION CULLING
IT’S BEEN SO LONG!!

Yay we’ll be able to publish music on roblox!!

Now for the yelling

ROBLOX JUST STOP WITH THE AI STUFF ALREADY NOBODY CARES

Also what is the reasoning for using USD for paid access games? Like what

6 Likes

I Just want the South America servers, been waiting since RDC 21 :frowning:

5 Likes

You still haven’t fixed the translator portal. There is a link claiming you’re planning to add better controls for this stuff and yet it’s not on the roadmap and it’s been sitting around like this for almost an entire year.

I see no way to tell if a game is actively listening to you. While this may change closer to/at release time, currently it looks like this is just a way for games to log what people are saying and generally invade privacy.

Hopefully you have permission to be using whatever content is in the AI models, and I REALLY hope that if this is based on user content that you actually asked for permission instead of silently slipping it into the ToU without openly stating it.

That would be cool if I had a way to see all the games I have bought

User inventory no longer showing games with purchased access (SIX AND A HALF YEARS SINCE THIS BUG FIRST APPEARED AND IT STILL HASN’T BEEN FIXED - Funny how you care more about taking peoples money than actually letting them see what they spent it on to begin with.)

Imagine running out of ideas to the point where you need to outright rerelease an old feature and claim it’s new.

Again, this feature already existed ages ago, and even still exists to this day. You’re not even rereleasing anything here you’re just updating an old abandoned feature barely anyone used. It’s literally right there right now!

Only difference is now it’s going to have voice chat support and…that’s literally the only difference. Everything else that can be done in that can already be done right now.

And still to this day nobody can make anything over 5 seconds public, after over 2 years and slowly counting. It was only until very recently anyone could make anything public at all. You’d think the station would stop sending out trains when they all keep piling up at the same giant crash point.

6 Likes

Text to speech? FINALLY, I have been asking for this!

Also, will you make your RDC sessions available online?

3 Likes

The Distrokid thing is a godsend. You have no idea how long I’ve been waiting for this moment.

3 Likes

It does go* beyond the scope of what Roblox is and shouldn’t replace core game development separate from the platform. Should debate that Roblox is a platform and not a goto game engine for larger projects but not hinder progress for new features to experiment with simple ideas quickly by typing in a few sentences and try more performance hungry concepts if these changes improves management of resources.

1 Like

On this point specifically, not a theoretically bad idea but who would even spend these sums of money to purchase clearly inferior roblox games than Steam games. Call roblox games good all you want but its undeniable that steam games for these prices are clearly superior in most (if not all) metrics available. Even quite a few AAA games are actually not good deals for these prices too.

Big corporations are getting way too comfortable with people expecting to just give them large sums of money just like that.

1 Like

I think the platform can compete with some Steam games (shameless plug for my game here…).

But I agree that it would be absurd for someone to spend that amount of money on a Roblox game. I think a massive factor is that experiences have to stream content which means if you try to get your experience looking AAA, then you’re going to have long download times (or be stuck running around with textureless meshes for a few seconds).

While many of the updates recently have been great (including some of the announced things above), there’s still a lot that has been on the community’s waiting list for years. Every time a texture feature comes out, everyone asks when we’ll get emission maps, for example.

4 Likes