Realistic trees made easy!

Introduction

Have you ever struggled to make a realistic tree in blender? Do you still use trees from asset packs? Do you want to learn how easy it is to make a good looking and optimized tree for your experience?
Then look no further because this tutorial is made for you!

Making trees with TreeIt

So the secret of making realistic trees is inside this app.
Personally, I recommend downloading the zip file, as my antivirus software marked the installer as a potential malware (for some unknown reason), but I’ve been using the application for weeks already and nothing bad happened to my hardware. Also the benefit of zip file is that you can pretty much drop the files wherever you want on your computer. Aside from TreeIt, you’ll need Blender software.

First steps

This is the moment where the fun begins!
After you first open the application, the app will greet you with this interface:

You might be asking now: How am I supposed to make a tree from sliders and buttons? Don’t worry, we’re not gonna be using most of the options this app offers. Instead, we will use trees that are built into the app. To do that, you have to go to: File > Open and select the tree of your choice. Make sure that you’re opening tree file with .tre extension.

For the sake of this tutorial, I’ll be using maple tree as an example. Once you open the tree file, it should automatically load with textures.

Voila! This is all you need to do when it comes to generating a tree in TreeIt. Now I want to introduce you to the features on the right side. These are meant to adjust your tree to your desires.

There are 5 drop-down tabs:

• Tree
  • Trunk
  • Branch
  • Leaf
  • Mesh

Features of TreeIt (optional)

"Tree" tab:

All you need to know about this tab is:

• Global Tree Scale - this slider manipulates the tree size in general (like the name says, duh)
  • Tree Poly Reduction - helps reducing poly count of trunk and branches
  • Leaf Poly Reduction - helps reducing poly count of all the leaves
"Trunk" tab:

This tab contains:

• Split - splits your trunk in half, making two big branches coming from the middle
  • Length - manipulates the length of your trunk in vertical axis
  • Gravity - bends your tree based on amount of weight (negative values = support from below)
  • Trunk Split - calculates the position where trunk splits (works only if you have split value >= 1)
"Branch" tab:

For this tab, the most important features are:

• Branch/Branchlet Count - applies the amout of branches based on value
  • Length - manipulates branches length
  • Gravity - manipulates the bend of branches
  • Position Min/Max - calculates the position from where to where the branches will be generated
"Leaf" tab:

This tab includes:

• Count - amount of generated leaves
  • Position Min/Max - calculates the position of generated leaves
Mesh" tab:

This tab is for more experienced creators, but generally it works similarly as Leaf tab.

Importing to Roblox Studio

After you finished working on your tree, it’s time to prepare it for Studio. In order to save it, you need to go to File > Export > Wavefront [obj].

Save your tree wherever you want on your hard drive.
Next thing you need to do, is separation of textures (because Roblox hates multiple layers of textures on one mesh). To do that, open Blender and import your saved tree. Then press Z and go into material preview mode. You can see that there are two textures applied to your tree. Select it and hit Tab key. This will make you go into edit mode. After that press P which will bring separation options. Select separation by material. Go out of edit mode and select all of the parts. Now all you have to do is to export the selection as FBX. Make sure to export it with these settings:

Your next step is to open Studio, enable asset manager and click Bulk Import feature. Select your mesh and import it. Apply two first options. Then, you just gotta click on both models from asset manager. You gonna see this:

Click your leaves, set the transparency to 0.02 (this will allow the leaves to be seen through) and enable option Double Sided (so the texture is applied from both sides of each leaf). Lastly, move and scale the leaves so they fit the branches of your tree. Make sure to group both meshes together.

This is the result:

Summary

This is a brief showcase of what trees you can do with this software

This is completely safe way to make your tree assets. It is free of any copyrights and fairly quick to make. Also the more you mess around the settings, the better you’ll get at it, meaning you are going to make more optimized and higher quality trees. Just give yourself some time.

I hope you found my tutorial helpful and entertaining. If you like it, please show some support by replying to this thread, leaving a heart or following for more tutorials in future. I’ve spent nearly a month trying to figure out the best and most convenient way of creating realistic trees in roblox.

If you have issues with any of the steps, let me know by messaging me here or via private message, I’m willing to help anyone.

Cheers!

129 Likes

Is there a separate tutorial about this, I’m very confused.

3 Likes

Not really, I’ve tried to make it as clear as possible. Where exactly are you stuck? I could maybe help you via screenshots of my workflow?

2 Likes

I have not tried it yet. I will message you if Im stuck. Thanks

3 Likes

Update: you can make some funky stuff with textures if you have a photo manipulation software

12 Likes

Tutorial on this? :eyes: :eyes:

3 Likes

Really love this tutorial, great trees that are realistic.

4 Likes

I think this is GREAT! I just wish there was a Mac version. But wow, this is a great tree solution.

3 Likes

You can try using Wine, I think it has a macOS version.

4 Likes

True, for Mac, I usually use Parallels, as well, but I haven’t reinstalled since I upgraded my hard drive a couple years ago. I thought about that, today. Thanks!

1 Like

Well, after you export the model from TreeIt, you get the model file as well as bunch of textures. You can throw some into photo editing software and change hue/saturation. Then save the image under the same name and continue with the tutorial above

3 Likes

After importing the obj into blender, you click on the mesh and go into edit mode. Unselect everything by double-tapping a, now head into the material tab and press select on one of them(ex: bark05 and leaf maple, they both work) after selecting one of them you press p. then export them as an fbx.

1 Like

Thank you, this is gonna be very helpful in creating environments.

2 Likes

Thank you for the tutorial. I have been looking for a program like this for awhile now.

I have found that I got better results with the leaves by using SurfaceAppearance instead of just setting the transparency to 0.02

Comparsion:

9 Likes

Ok man! I must try that out, thanks a lot

1 Like

For some reason, I dont have SurfaceAppearance available in beta features

1 Like

You don’t need to enable beta features to use SurfaceAppearance since it’s already been released.

3 Likes

how do I download it on Mac? I can’t open a .exe file

2 Likes

Well I’m not a Mac user, but there were some solutions mentioned above:

1 Like

Wine doesn’t work for me for some reason. I will see what parallels can do

1 Like