ReceiveShadows property

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to control shadows in my experiences.

Although we do have the CastShadows property, which I find useful on many occasions, we do not have a ReceiveShadows property, which I would also find very useful. Adding this property would improve my experience as a developer by allowing me greater control over the appearance of shadows on parts within my experiences.

The specific case that prompted me to make this feature request is that I wanted a plastic mesh to be unaffected by most lighting in the world, however that was difficult to do since you cannot disable receiving shadows. The parts surrounding the mesh had to have CastShadows on, as I still wanted them to cast shadows on each other, just not on this one mesh.
There are ways around this; for example by changing the mesh’s material to one that doesn’t receive shadows, such as neon or an opaque forcefield. However these workarounds make it much more difficult than it should be to attain the appearance I want for my mesh.

25 Likes

I would love this feature.
I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve used black neon parts just so that it appears without shadows.

I hope this gets added at some point in the future.

1 Like

I agree, more stylized lightning and overall look, but I would also request a feature called “RecieveLightning” if its set to false then the whole characters/blocks light becomes bland and technically its the same lightning everywhere on it producing a cartoony look and a scaler with it called “LightningExposure” to scale the Exposure

Anyway can you pls check out my Terrain System Features? I havent gotten alot of attetion on it: Features that needs to be added to the Terrain System

I can see this being used for Viewmodels where you may not want to break the illusion of hands floating in the air.

1 Like