Features that needs to be added to the Terrain System

As a Roblox developer, it is currently hard to produce the high-quality terrain we want in our games due to the lack of some essential features in Studio. Therefore, I would like to request some extra features I believe we need in Studio.

Specifically, I want to suggest some features related to the Terrain System, and how Materials look at the Terrain system. The current Terrain system is good, but I think there are some features missing that would allow us to create better-looking games. Here a few summarized features I want to bring into Studio:

• TerrainDetail, Color: The Color property changes the color of the TerrainDetail

• TerrainDetail, Scale: The Scale property changes how big the overlay of TerrainDetail is on the MaterialVariant, the bigger the value is, the more it takes over the MaterialVariant

• TerrainDetail, Angle: The Angle feature allows us to change the Angle of the TerrainDetail and decides on which angle its gonna become visible at

• Smoother/More Vertices on the Terrain ā€œMeshā€: We need a smoother terrain with more vertices to allow us to create high-quality terrain easily without blockyness

• TerrainDetail, Top-Side: Another terrain layer to the TerrainDetail, example shown here (Fortnite):

• TerrainDetail, Bottom-Side: Opposite from the top

• Terrain, Paint Color And Opacity: The ability to color and draw spots of other terrains in low Opacity on the Terrain would help us create biomes and more life-like terrain, as seen at this example from Fortnite agian:

• Terrain Paint Size to 0.1 and Custom Paint Brush: We need a more precise paint brush and the ability to create a custom paint brush with different brushes or own texture imported to create it

• Terrain, Custom material transition trough the png alpha

• Custom Deceration (Grass): Custom Grass with either Mesh or PNG that replaces the default Roblox Grass (Terrain.Deceration)

• The abillity to add custom terrain materials and not override existing ones

If Roblox could add these features, it would improve my and others development experience by allowing us to create better-looking games with more detailed and life-like terrain

30 Likes

I could not agree more. While having more general detail on the Terrain might be intensive (so it shouldnā€™t be an immediate change.), the fact we canā€™t color terrain with a Color Brush or something is a real limiting factor especially in 2023.

4 Likes

All of these are good ideas. Additionally it would be nice to be able to use more/less voxels in specific areas. Iā€™m working on a large-scale war game and I want the map to be massive for people who are flying aircraft overhead. Right now I canā€™t really do that unless I waste millions of voxels on extending the terrain in all directions. Being able to adjust voxel resolution in certain areas would allow developers to add even more detail to their playable area while reducing the memory/computation cost of far-away areas. We would be able to have even bigger terrains at even less cost.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s a use-case of mine regarding per-voxel coloring (?) / adding a custom material to Terrain:

Iā€™d like to color the grass material separate colors.

For this, I donā€™t think Roblox should have a #2 thing. Rather I feel we should have a slider for more ā€˜intenseā€™ blending. (no blending materials ā†’ crazy fade/blending of materials)

Here a responses from staff related to some of the things in this feature request:

It was a response to the many things, some that are in this feature request such as the painting stuff. I previously was going to quote everything people were asking for, but notifying that many people probably wasnā€™t a good idea. (quotes)

Itā€™s probably not a position/job in of itself, but I wonder how many people at Roblox are working on the Terrain system.

Iā€™d be here all day if I tried to pull legit everything out of that announcement thread let alone the entire forum, and off it. Some have similar or the same idea, but thereā€™s quite a variety of things people would like. It all is certainly a massive undertaking if youā€™re working on the Terrain system at Roblox. A lot of ā€˜groundā€™ to cover.

1 Like

I simply cannot believe that this isnā€™t a possibility in Roblox yet. They should be putting all their resources towards making this a reality. How is anyone gonna take games seriously like they want if this isnā€™t an option

bump, i genuinely donā€™t understand how this isnā€™t a priority, how it didnā€™t even come with the terrain system?