Reduced Minimum Part Size - Released Everywhere!

I can already see this in every obby lol

Jokes aside this looks really good great job!

5 Likes

This is a godsend! It’ll be fun experimenting and detailing with this stuff.

The comparison between a 0.05 and a 0.001 is pretty massive lol

26 Likes

FAQ

No.

It does!

Yes. As a Beta Feature, sizes will reset to 0.05 if you publish a game (including Team Create) with parts < 0.05 via the Beta Feature. Once released globally, your < 0.05 should stay that way, and can be published.

Yes, but we may be able to accommodate it. I’ll look into it before this goes out of beta.

What about the maximum size limit? Can we make parts larger?

One step at a time :slight_smile:

ETA on having collision geometry at the new minimum?

Probably not this year. This change will be out of beta before then.

67 Likes

Can we go thinner? 0 thinness wen.

8 Likes

Does this mean if I shrink a model, to the new minimum limit. In a live game, all the parts will resize to the 0.05 minimum size limit but the positions will stay the same causing the model to look a bit ‘off’.

What about for planar mesh parts? We currently have to resort to using SpecialMeshes for these, because otherwise they’re forcibly resized by the engine to no longer be planar, meaning they don’t tile :frowning:

This locks us out of features like SurfaceAppearances and instancing, which would be really nice to have!

10 Likes

Nice, I have always wanted smaller parts. I try to create really small, thin parts, but it always bigger than I anticipated. I have always waited until this moment. I also downloaded models, meshes for my games, but it could not become as small as a wanted it to become. This is really cool though.

This is awesome! I can finally scale meshes without having to worry about hitting the min size. It will generally give you a lot more freedom when it comes to building or modeling in Roblox. I think this is a great addition and will definitely improve the experience for most devs.

Would this also change how a mesh plane behaves. Right now they get stretched across the minimum size (diagonally), which is really inconvenient in certain use cases.

This is pretty nice update, thanks man.

I see this as a step forward towards the removal of dependence on SpecialMesh’s
So with the trend being to use MeshParts instead, this is really awesome, in that we can scale non collision MeshParts to sizes that used to be only achieved by SM’s

So, only one last thing remaining, to completely replace SM’s, and that is texture tinting of MeshParts or SurfaceAppearance?
Is this something that is being discussed or plans in the works?

2 Likes

I am glad that this got rolled out! I’ve always been a fan of miniature buildings. But, it was never possible to recreate that on Studio using Parts. I’ve also wanted to also create tiny insects and globes with details. I’m just glad that this finally got rolled out. I feel like builders now have more freedom when it comes to creating tiny parts! This is a great update for mini-obby developers too!

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

3 Likes

@KristinaMoment I wonder what you can over detail with this! Hah all fun n games aside, this is nifty! Thanks Devteam. :wink:

1 Like

LEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTSSSSS GOOOOO!!! Finally no need to move it with no increments to make it look like its 0.01. Thank you Roblox, very cool!

1 Like

yes, i want black holes! black holes are awesome!

4 Likes

Thank you, now I can finally stop using BlockMeshes with incorrect collisions.

1 Like

You’ll still have incorrect collisions.

2 Likes

Only temporary at the moment, they will eventually update collision geometry to support sizes below 0.05.

2 Likes

It will be so much easier to build now!

Unrealistic part standards :pensive:

19 Likes