Reduced Minimum Part Size - Released Everywhere!

BIG NEWS:

The minimum size for all BaseParts is being lowered from (0.05, 0.05, 0.05) to (0.001, 0.001, 0.001). Look at these tiny little parts. :mag:

0.05 thickness on the left, 0.001 thickness on the right

Visual Size vs Actual Collision

The only catch is that while a part can be smaller visually, the physical collision geometry of the Part will still not go below the existing limit of 0.05. So part collisions, touch events, raycasts, etc. will still see the part as if it’s minimum dimensions are 0.05.

We expect that this is fine for most cases, as parts this small either don’t need collisions at all, or the difference in having a larger collision geometry is negligible. Regardless, we plan for this discrepancy to be “temporary” (a lot of work needs to be done first) and one day precise collision geometry will be possible at this itty bitty size.

[Update August 19] This is now fully released and your live games can use tiny parts! You can still leave any feedback below.

400 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 11 minutes.

This is so poggers. Thank you for lowering the minimum!

34 Likes

I like to have my minimum part size set to 0

127 Likes

This is a really, really useful feature for builders, but also unironically a very bad timing as I needed smaller parts yesterday as I was building this spotlight right here :joy:

55 Likes

Are there any performance impacts on a part that is .001 compared to just regularly being .05?

14 Likes

Unfortunate that the geometry will be the same as the current limits. Is there an ETA as to when this will be changed?

4 Likes

Since this is in beta, I’m assuming that in live games, parts with sizes on any axis < 0.05 will resize to 0.05? I want to make sure I have behavior I can expect in my live game.

6 Likes

Finally! It’s been hard to do rough character armor creations with the old minimum part size. Time to work some magic!

6 Likes

Let’s goooo! Now I can make really thin parts of static paper and other really really really thin things! :page_with_curl:

10 Likes

Reduced small parts are gonna be really interesting to see in-game, but this is exciting to hear!

2 Likes

Weapon modelers can now rejoice when importing from Blender

17 Likes

Neat update. I’ve ran into issues in the past designing tools for characters, where the previous limit made certain details impossible to produce in-studio.

My main question is whether or not a rough estimate for when the collisions/raycasting will be able to shrink to fit that size can be given?

I can’t imagine it being the most simple thing to accomplish given floating-point precision, and I can’t imagine it being that useful (hair strand physics, anyone?), but it would be a step towards making the new minimum a more complete feature.

8 Likes

I really hope this allows us to shrink whole models smaller than we could before. :pray:

8 Likes

Great! Now can we just get size to go above 2048?

19 Likes

I thought we could already change the size of parts to the scale of 0.001, or is this change specifically for the resize tool? If so, not really a huge change

2 Likes

Awesome to see I no longer have to deal with parts of rigs I import getting inflated to fit the minimum part size. This opens a lot of possibilities.

Does the collision geometry caveat mean that the Studio draggers will be unable to snap these parts flush against surfaces? Is it possible to accommodate this? I don’t imagine it will be a significant problem to me since I don’t often work with parts this small with the freeform dragger, but still curious.

6 Likes

Do you want black holes? Because that’s how you get black holes!

84 Likes

As a builder this change is highly welcome, this should have been a option long ago. It sucks though that it will act like a 0.05 part, but I guess it is necessary.

3 Likes

Very cool, but when we will have the maximum size increased?

6 Likes