Release Notes for 490

Autocomplete in Toolbox search.

Amazing, that’ll be great, along with hex code :clap:

It seems like VoiceChatService is officially going to be out w/out any pullbacks, so an official release anytime soon I’d assume for this upcoming event?

4 Likes

how does the built in method handle “partial” hex codes? e.g. does #9E expand to #9E9E9E, or would it just throw?

10 Likes

I’m very excited to test out ResampleMode since I easily assume that it’s support for pixel images at long last, but although the Release Notes say it’s live the ResamplerMode property is currently hidden on ImageObjects and while it can be set by command, there appears to be no visual difference yet.

I don’t suppose this is a bug but really hoping that it’ll become functional as soon as possible.

4 Likes

The new functions are Color3.fromHex(string) -> Color3 and Color3:ToHex() -> string.

fromHex supports “partial hex codes” in the form RGB which is equivalent to RRGGBB, so FFF is equivalent to FFFFFF (white). Only specifying 2 hexadecimal digits generates an error. An octothorpe (#) may be present at the start of the string, but is not necessary.

ToHex converts a Color3 to a hex string, in the format rrggbb, and errors if the Color3 contains a value which is NaN or out of range.

10 Likes

It’s used to add information about the “real” OS name into our analytics to help distinguish stability issues on real Windows platforms (that we support) from issues on Wine (which we don’t support officially). AFAIK we don’t have plans to block attempts of using Roblox on Wine, but we also don’t support it so it may break accidentally at any given point.

64 Likes

Oooh, really excited about this one! I just hope it comes to Decals, Textures, SurfaceAppearance, skyboxes, ParticleEmitters, etc. as well.

5 Likes

Definitely not right away. Those things use significantly different rendering paths, so it’s not simply a matter of adding the Lua property exposing it on each thing.

17 Likes

It seems the status is not correctly updated. I have contacted to request to switch it for a pending state. We will do announcement when it is live / testable in studio or clients. Thanks.

5 Likes

Sooooooo… anybody gonna talk about this?

16 Likes

I will, I’m very excited for its use. Obviously it’s necessary to restrict its usage to 13+, and moderation concerns, but this is an incredible step.

1 Like

It’s actually going to be 18+, you will need to input a valid ID to confirm your age in order to get access.

1 Like

Strange, I disagree with this system.
Platforms like Steam, Discord, Guilded, Teamspeak, and others have an age gate of 13 or above, and none of those require you to put your ID in to use voice chat.

6 Likes

It’s moreso a safety measure. Those platforms require every user to be 13+. Roblox allows any user, but to prevent security flaws, they make VC 18+. It’s usually around this age that the user is mature enough to act civil-ish.

2 Likes

I can respect the decision to restrict it for 18+ users, however, not respect uploading identification.

2 Likes

It’s really the only way of truthfully verifying the information quickly.

1 Like

This system isn’t permanent. Its going to be a start restrictive and loosen up over time deal. The idea is to rush out with 18+, work out scale and scalability etc then roll out to more people.

4 Likes

I wonder if voice channels can be subscribed to via threads. Almost like Discord Threads but, for lazy people who don’t want to type every waking thought out letter by letter. I feel that is a cool concept if that’s the case. Most what I see just looks like device stuff and voice activity-like support.

1 Like

I’ve waited a long time for a native linear velocity controller analogous to the AngularVelocity class. I don’t understand why the functionality seems identical to AngularVelocity, but has the added phrase “Constraint” at the end. BaseParts don’t have a property called “LinearVelocity”, would be it be possible to just call it “LinearVelocity” to convey the analogous nature of it?

4 Likes

This is a mistake on our part. We will rename it to just “LinearVelocity”.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.