Release Notes for 573

Release notes for 573

44 Likes

Soved!
:pray:t2: :clap:t2: :clap:t2: :clap:t2: :fireworks: :sparkler:

11 Likes

Where is it? Can’t find.

3 Likes

Hi! It’s not live yet! Let me see if I can fix this uI. I can’t change this until Monday, so I’ll keep you updated!

8 Likes

Is there a visible impact to developers brought by this update? Do we need to make any changes?

6 Likes

If you type

select("#", item:GetAttribute("Hello")) --> 1

Whereas previously you would have gotten 0.

Note: I’m 90% sure this is correct, but I might be wrong on what this change is specifically.

7 Likes

That’s was a quick, simple and extremely effective example! Thanks!

On another note; I distinctly remember a discussion were this was mentioned as a pre-requirement for other features, possible related to Attributes (being able to set an attribute to an Instance comes to mind). Is there any upcoming additions you can share?

4 Likes

I’m not sure if I can comment at this time, but maybe someone else from DevRel can shed some more light on this?

9 Likes

Real? Does that make this code valid?

workspace:SetAttribute("ActivateKey", Enum.KeyCode.E)
13 Likes

Yes! Expect it to be enabled about a week from now after the next mobile force update.

29 Likes

cool. Looking forward to using this stuff in the future.

1 Like

When will Instances be available there? I am using ObjectValue because this feature still doesn’t exist. “I quit using all ValueBases” except for the ObjectValue. I mean this is something that everyone asks, but just seeing this addition, makes me wonder of when the attributes will start supporting Instances.

3 Likes

Instances are harder because ideally you’d like to be able to specify an initially nil-valued Instance attribute and be able to fill it in with the Instance picker. But with the current API an attribute being equal to nil is… the same as it not existing :upside_down_face:. So obviously that won’t quite work.

We’re going to have to figure this out as part of various efforts we have going on (which is also why you’re seeing various attribute changes coming through), so you may see it solved sooner rather than later.

18 Likes

I am sure there are plenty of qualified people working on this, and so, this is probably a pointless opinion, but maybe you could set the initial value of a attribute that holds an instance to the attributes parent object, (the instance that this is an attribute of) as a default value?

2 Likes

You do NOT know how frustrating this was. Thank you for the fixes, engineers!

2 Likes

Whoever was responsible for that implementation of GetAttribute must’ve been cracking their knuckles and thinking/saying to themselves, “all in a days work…” / “you really outdone yourself this time <their name>…” after committing it.

Meanwhile you couldn’t call tostring on a nil attribute directly without it erroring when functions like ffc return an explicit nil. Very consistent roblox! :+1::+1::+1::+1:

Bonus API inconsistency: ContextActionService:UnbindAction("this action never existed") is a-okay meanwhile RunService:UnbindFromRenderStep("also never existed") hits you across the face with a fat error.

Docs for UnbindFromRenderStep: “You have wrap it in pcall.”
UnbindFromRenderStep: “Am I a network function to you? :moyai:”

9 Likes

These are some massive release notes!

Happy to see a number of long standing bugs getting fixed. Props to the teams who worked on these.

1 Like

Does this include undocumented fixes for Spherecast that was mentioned would be coming soon?

1 Like

This is a great change, but I would rather have custom attributes as well. I feel like adding this would make things less hard, as I rely on a changing string as of now.

2 Likes

this is the first time i’ve seen staff members answer to all kinds of questions in a short time and not ignore them too, amazing

2 Likes