Release Notes for 589

Notes for Release 589

124 Likes

Grass flickering when editing terrain has been quite the annoyance, glad to see it on the list of fixes.

73 Likes

There are a few questions I have for the new updates.

What are these new states for? Can and cannot be interacted by the user just seems like the Active property.

I’m not sure how it could be more “random”. I’m suspecting something related to consecutively receiving the same brick color, but I may be wrong.

58 Likes

It is fairly similar to the Active property. One might say it’s a property that works how Active should have been made to work in the first place (among other things it cascades, so Interactable = false on Frame will make all the descendants non-interactable too).

71 Likes

This particular note is interesting, wouldn’t the interaction depend on the mesh’s collision shape? The ultimate improvement would be optimizing the meshes themselves, how exactly does improving the performance of the midphase provide benefits to the physics?

41 Likes

Roblox’s Japanese input method was really annoying. It’s definitely have a good fix for Japanese users!

50 Likes

If I am understanding this correctly, does this mean we can do this:

game:Workspace:Part:Touched:Connect(function()

end)
41 Likes

Real good stuff in there. I especially hope that

will be quite noticable :smiley:

40 Likes

I think it means when you do something like this:

local house = workspace
:WaitForChild("FolderWithVeryLongName")
.ModelsFolder
.BuildingModels
.House

It’ll properly indent when you press enter (which currently doesn’t happen), like this:

local house = workspace
    :WaitForChild("FolderWithVeryLongName")
    .ModelsFolder
    .BuildingModels
    .House
51 Likes

Will this solve the problem of clicks going thru frames? My biggest issue with Roblox’s UI, and the best solution rn is to use buttons as a background so clicking dont go thru visible UI

Would be great to have a “SinkInput” state or something

I should not be able to click the open overlay button when its underneath visible UI

44 Likes

I’ve faced similar issues.

A ‘solution’ could be to disable the ‘Active’ property on the button behind it on your end. (That’s if you’re using .Activated for detecting input.)

Maybe also disabling the ‘Selectable’ property or just toggling the ‘Visible’ property.

32 Likes

Is there a way to turn off the indenting of operators? I may have misinterpreted, so tell me if I did, but I don’t want my code to look like this:

game : GetService('MarketPlaceService')
27 Likes

Don’t worry, it means when you make a new line between something and an index of it. For example, before the update, pressing enter immediately after workspace in this: print(workspace.Parent) would result in this:

print(workspace
.Parent)

Now, it does this:

print(workspace
	.Parent)

It won’t place spaces between something like game:GetService() (unless you specifically make a newline, where it’ll do the indentation I just explained, not like “game : GetService()”).

28 Likes

Collision shapes only affect narrowphase, which is what we call the system for “given a potentially intersecting pair of objects, figure out if we’re really intersecting, and find the contact points/normals.”

This optimization is for a different system, midphase - This is the thing that finds those potentially intersecting pairs of objects. It’s an approximation, so it doesn’t care about the exact shape, only bounding volumes such as boxes and spheres.

29 Likes

The midphase improvements are a two-for-one:

1. Assembly extents are now calculated faster due to a special math trick. This improves stepMidPhase, assemble, megaReplicator in the profiler. If your weld C0s and C1s are slow to change, this might help.
  2. Collisions between assemblies are found faster using a different, less-special math trick. This improves stepMidPhase in the profiler. If your performance is bad because you have complex assemblies colliding, this might help.
29 Likes

On the topic of shadows, can we get a property on BasePart which tells the engine to not cull its shadow when it’s completely transparent?

Mostly so we can see our own shadows in first person.

33 Likes

Fyi, you don’t need to use wfc in replicatedstorage.

Edit: It was personal to me. Worked with someone responsible for writing this:

Viewer discretion strongly advised.

21 Likes

Wow this is even better! I hope this goes live soon!

18 Likes

Set the frame’s Active property to true.

14 Likes

Does ReplicatedStorage replicate before any player scripts or character scripts begin to run their code? If so, this is pretty helpful and good to know.

I’m assuming workspace doesn’t work the same since some instances won’t be loaded at first if StreamingEnabled is on.

13 Likes