Release Notes for 602

Why. Just why.

21 Likes

It was probably already not supporting R6, but it didn’t detect that. So this only helps. Wish they’d support R6 though. :sob:

16 Likes

Dystopia is real. They’re giving very subtle but noticeable hints on what will happen to R6 and other form of rigs. (PS: I’m not surprised about it as it seems when I’m posting these)

8 Likes

I don’t blame them for wanting to phase out R6 as a system, it’s surprisingly different under the hood, but their new push for “innovation” is absolute insanity. They know it’s a bad idea, nobody likes it, but they do it anyway.

18 Likes

Alright, cooking… :eyes:

8 Likes

Calm down. They’ve already stated that they’re investing in preserving the R6 look, feel & physics before, they’re even putting out new subsystems to emulate R6 completely on top of the new avatar stack. Sure, they’re going to deprecate the old technology stack, but that’s all that’s going away.

This nonsense that Roblox somehow want to eradicate the R6 look is based in marketing getting zero memoes about what people do on the platform, not on what engineers actually intend to do.

36 Likes

In R6 only games it’ll be emulated(to my knowledge) and R15 still just isn’t the same.

If they gave us a proper R6 styled animation package and fixed the issues with the models(Poor texture mapping, poor rigging, ugly blocky model, etc) I don’t think anyone would even complain about R15.

8 Likes

That’s totally fair, and I can easily believe it isn’t perfect. If you want it to be perfect though, you’ve got to work with the teams who are trying to improve it. Go give them feedback on what isn’t quite right and be patient with them - DevForum drama about “R6 is going away and Roblox is working on things nobody cares about” does nothing to further these efforts, doesn’t actually tell anyone what you don’t like and why, and is just making the problem worse by taking up space that could otherwise be given to people who actually have actionable feedback to give.

21 Likes

How is the buffer thingy going?

8 Likes

It’s doing good.
Hopefully releases in a Beta somewhere next week.

17 Likes

602 Release notes are FIRE :fire:

Man, when I get free time, I can not wait to create a VR game.

4 Likes

part of the GPU based Voxel lighting update?

8 Likes

A nice few bits and bobs for this update. :+1:

The new warning for numbers being too big doesn’t account for scientific notation.

Also nice to see some more VR updates, makes developing in VR just that bit easier.

I’m wondering though, could a “VRBottomBar” option with a configTable be added to StarterGui:SetCore() & StarterGui:GetCore() so the UI can be customized a bit, such as transparency and colour? A few callback functions for the buttons on the VR Bottom Bar (like the minimize & chat buttons) would be appreciated too.

At the moment, the only thing that can be changed with the VR Bottom Bar is to unparent the part that the SurfaceGui is on (BottomBar_Part).

6 Likes

I keep seeing “buffer” everywhere but I can’t find anything about it, can someone point me in the right direction please?

8 Likes

Easily the most level headed opinion I’ve seen.

Yeah but I know for a fact the “physics” they’re preserving don’t include the many bugs and glitches that make many R6 games possible. R6 is fine as is in my opinion and they can sorta just let it be without any issues from what I know. Their current combability layer setup is total dog and everyone agrees.

4 Likes

Roblox can’t just ‘let systems be’. They fall out of date relative to the rest of the engine. Look at what happened to VR after 2016 when they ‘let it be’ and it slowly broke under the weight of half a decade of updates.

Product management isn’t as simple as that.

12 Likes

Buffer is a new Luau type. You can read the RFC for it here, though it might be more technically oriented than you’re used to.

The TL;DR is that it’s a mutable byte array, which means that it’ll be very efficient for stuff like networking because we’ll have a datatype that’s 1:1 with bytes that’s also mutable.

9 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?q=ACE+exploit

2 Likes

You must understand that relying on bugs and glitches isn’t at all futureproof. You shouldn’t be relying on these exploits for your game to function. And when they get patched, as with the case now, there really isn’t a reason to complain that this behavior is removed.

I do like R6 better than R15, but I’m quite happy that they’ve created an alternative for R6 that is supposedly supposed to replicate the same (non-buggy) behavior as the original R6. The old R6 had many problems, one of which were just the terrible naming of all the limbs, as well as the incompatibility with a variety of marketplace avatar items.

5 Likes

Off topic, but - was the buffer created partially in response to the limitations of manipulating large amounts of smooth terrain?

1 Like