Release Notes for 607

46 Likes

glad to see this was fixed, it was bothering us non-internal users

14 Likes

New Enter+F2 shortcut seems really useful, I’ll be sure to give it a try!

6 Likes

Exciting stuff, but this one really caught my eye:

Better tools for diagnosing memory usage (especially by our own scripts) are MAJORLY appreciated.

If any of the staff who worked on this LuauHeap tool are reading this, would you mind elaborating on how this works or how we’ll use it?

10 Likes

LuauHeap tool inside Developer Console will allow Luau VM memory use exploration on both Client and RCC with an additional ability to compare memory consumption changes over time and find unparented DataModel instance references pinned inside scripts.

:eyes:
I hope this is what I think it is.
I’ve had to develop my own tools for identifying unparented instances being held in memory that were causing serious memory leaks. Being able to retire those tools and have a featureful Roblox tool would be a game changer.

Edit: So close to being the first person to post about this. Oh well.

8 Likes

I’m super happy this bug has now been resolved.

4 Likes

D e l i g h t f u l

10 Likes

Lemme guess, these were mostly from active connections?

5 Likes

Exactly. Event connections not clearing because of the instance not clearing connections (characters and players, most of the time) is a massive pain to deal with. Virtual Valley Games still retains the tools because sometimes we accidentally re-introduce the problem.

9 Likes

I think (anyone please correct me if I’m wrong on this) it’s the number corresponding to the engine release or release note.

@2jammers It’s better to inform other people of what it means rather than respond like that.

9 Likes

4 Likes

You can find it in Developer Tools (F9) dropdown. Developer Tools are available in Studio test sessions and in the Client if you are the developer of the experience you’re in.

There will be an announcement later describing stuff in there in more detail.
The RCC capture is also coming a bit later.

15 Likes

Did not realize it was available right now! At a glance it looks really comprehensive and I’m noticing some pretty interesting memory hogs that we would not normally expect (which is a good thing, it means it’s actually highlighting what’s wrong with our code). I cannot wait to play around with this over the week.

3 Likes

Are you guys aware of the StreamingMesh Model issue where if a player teleports/spawns near a StreamingMesh, the StreamingMesh doesn’t load and is still blurry?

3 Likes

This is the first 2024E version of RĹŤblox!

4 Likes

Why skip 606?
Also, why did 605 and 607 take a 31 day gap.

https://setup.rbxcdn.com/DeployHistory.txt

I don’t remember the last time roblox didn’t update in an entire month.

3 Likes

Only client supported for now?
Typically I’ve found (important) memory leaks are on the server, not the client.

5 Likes

Christmas and New Years
Roblox staff have families too!

12 Likes

Hey, I know it’s not officially announced yet but I wanted to quick give a personal thank you to whomever developed the LuauHeap tool. Within five hours, we have diagnosed three potential sources of client memory leaks using the stale reference and graph categories; memory leaks that have plagued our game for a few weeks now. It’s an amazing and much-needed tool that will frankly make our lives so much easier and we deeply appreciate the work of everyone on the team responsible for making it.

10 Likes

why did we skip 606? anyways these are exciting stuff

3 Likes