Release Notes for 620

Why was this added, just out of curiosity? I have no need to use this very much but I’m kinda wondering why this was implemented.

Players.getUserIdFromName now throttles request locally at 250/min.

8 Likes

There was a limit to it which was quite less. Seems they increased it.

It can be used for people who want to make a random valid name generator.

5 Likes

Nobody asked but here’s the API for ScriptProfilerService:

Added Class ScriptProfilerService : Instance [NotCreatable] [Service]
Added Function ScriptProfilerService:ClientRequestData(player: Player) -> () {PluginSecurity}
Added Function ScriptProfilerService:ClientStart(player: Player, frequency: number?) -> () {PluginSecurity}
Added Function ScriptProfilerService:ClientStop(player: Player) -> () {PluginSecurity}
Added Function ScriptProfilerService:DeserializeJSON(jsonString: string?) -> { [string]: any } {PluginSecurity} [CustomLuaState]
Added Function ScriptProfilerService:SaveScriptProfilingData(jsonString: string, filename: string) -> string {RobloxScriptSecurity}
Added Function ScriptProfilerService:ServerRequestData() -> () {PluginSecurity}
Added Function ScriptProfilerService:ServerStart(frequency: number?) -> () {PluginSecurity}
Added Function ScriptProfilerService:ServerStop() -> () {PluginSecurity}
Added Event ScriptProfilerService.OnNewData(player: Player, jsonString: string) {PluginSecurity}
Added Event ScriptProfilerService.RequestData() {RobloxSecurity} [Hidden]
Added Event ScriptProfilerService.SetProfilingState(start: boolean, frequency: number) {RobloxSecurity} [Hidden]

(You can view it with some fancy highlighting at Maximum_ADHD’s website)

8 Likes

Is Workspace.InsertPoint writable?

3 Likes

@TooManyOveralls I noticed something that is not cool, but I am writing it here because it could probably be fixed in the next version. When we want to log out of the studio and delete the saved data, we have to press the button with the cross. However, when I press the cross button, everything remains unchanged. My username is not deleted, it is still saved even after pressing the cross. It reappears when we close and reopen the studio… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello @inceptionLegends! Thank you for flagging, please file a bug report with this issue :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Is there any way we’ll be able to see the Script Profiler API be available in live games for the purposes of analytics? Related: Allow scripts to access microprofiler & memory tag data for performance analytics

5 Likes

Yes. It will even be visible in the properties pane so you’ll be able to type a precise position in, paste, and have the object paste at that location.

Though the main purpose is to let plugins like F3X and SBS reach parity with built in tooling with respect to pasting where you’d expect them to paste.

10 Likes

Does this pair with loading assets via InsertService? I believe the current behaviour is it’ll just load the asset in at the world origin, could possibly be wrong though.

Thanks for the speedy response. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This only relates to Studio features which directly insert stuff into the 3d scene.

InsertService loads the content but leaves it parented to nil. It’s up to your Lua code to decide where to put it in the scene and even whether to add it to the scene at all. Though now with the InsertPoint property you could easily copy the behavior of Paste by calling :MoveTo(workspace.InsertPoint) on the thing you loaded with InsertService.

8 Likes

Can you please fix the issue of the Animation Editor not working on the MacOS version?

3 Likes

To clarify, is this feature meant to set the default location of all objects when inserted to the workspace?

2 Likes

It’s the current location which things will be inserted into the workspace at. Studio tooling edits that location when you move stuff around and take other actions. This was an existing piece of state that was there in Studio before, but there was no public way to set it.

For example, try moving a part, then undoing the move, and then pasting. The pasted object will show up at the old location of the object rather than were it currently is, because the undo history did not track the change to the insert point correctly.

That’s an additional thing I’ll be able to fix now that it’s exposed as a property.

6 Likes

WE want mesh parts. WE want mesh parts!!!

4 Likes

Honestly, I’d love for local model files .rbxm to insert at/near the camera position, instead of being inserted at the coordinates they were at when initially saving them to my computer.

It’s annoying working on a part of a map, inserting a model, and having my camera be dragged all the way to the other side of the map so I have to drag the model back to where I was working.

2 Likes

Good news, I’m touching the InsertPoint because I’m working on restructuring the code backing all those insert paths at the moment, and that’s one of the things I’m going to fix as part of it. Insert from File will work the same as Paste.

6 Likes

There’s an issue where the Animation Editor doesn’t work on the MacOS version of Roblox Studio.

• Keyframes don’t appear on the keyframe
• Importing an animation opens up a glitched out tab
• Adding body parts to Animation doesn’t work

There’s also an issue where the Tools (move, scale, and rotate), break and refuse to move when intersecting an object, or just using the tool for a few seconds.

1 Like

Do you have the “Collisions” toggle in the Model tab of the ribbon turned on? That’s what that toggle does for intersecting objects.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. So I uncheck it? Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Was there any changes to physics? I’m getting quite a few reports and from my own testing today that the physics in my group’s bowling game suddenly is behaving very erratically. One of them being that a lot of time the bowling pins are becoming too bouncy.

3 Likes