Release Notes for 630

Greetings developers! Studio Release 630 has landed… 630 being hex #663300 or RGB 102, 51, 0, closely matching Studio’s Burnt Sienna BrickColor. Obviously just arbitrary comparisons at the end of a week, not related to all of these great fixes and updates. Enjoy! :sweat_smile:

IgnisRBX

55 Likes

If anyone is curious, attributes go before function declarations. So you’d use it like this:

@native
local function foo()
end

foo(@native function end)

It isn’t enabled yet but it’s the start of Luau’s attribute system. :smiley:

31 Likes

I want to see this :eyes:

8 Likes

Curious of what the behavior was before this changed

6 Likes

I may see myself actually right clicking to select UI now! I’ve just been selecting them in the explorer, which seems to be okay.

18 Likes

Consistent as long as you passed a sane seed value, for example, Random.new(tick()). This is just edge case cleanup for technical correctness, not it having been outright broken before.

8 Likes

I might be wrong but I vaguely recall running into floating point differences between Xbox and all other platforms. It’s been a few years and I didn’t file a bug report for it stupidly. Unsure if this resolves it or if it’s a deeper problem, if it even exists anymore.

3 Likes

Yaay, this issue has been annoying me, glad they got around fixing that.

7 Likes

Why was it decided to set the attribute on the line before the named function declaration? Wouldn’t it make more sense to just always place the tag before the function keyword, as is already the case with anonymous functions? Can I do it this way regardless?

3 Likes

Finally, no more pain…
(Thank me for reporting it)

8 Likes

We are so back

7 Likes

Luau is a whitespace agnostic language so you can, but it’ll have to be before the local. So something like this does work just fine:

@native local function foo()
end

but something like this will not:

local @native function foo()
end

This is just because of how Luau is parsed. There’s no difference between local @native; function foo() end and local @native function foo() end to the parser, which means that you can’t tell whether it’s valid syntax or a bug.

6 Likes

thank you for the clarification!

enjoy your weekend everyone :+1:

3 Likes

It’s nice to see something in the release notes knowing that you were involved in it:

I am the one who first reported this issue it was actualy in someone elses bug report come feature request that i reported the issue

The "bug report"

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/viewportframes-do-not-show-surfaceappearances-properly/1477371/18

5 Likes

So is ban API coming out soon?

3 Likes

Likely early staging. Maybe we’ll see a beta in the next 2-3 months?

5 Likes

FINALLY.

6 Likes

Sometimes fixes or changes gets marked as live even when they’re not, for example this bug fix got marked as live even though it’s not rolled out yet. This can be very confusing and misleading especially since no Roblox engineer responded to the bug report of this issue in the devforum.

Also this fix appeared again on the release notes of version 630 even though it first appeared on the release notes of version 626.

4 Likes

The beta is already live it just wont work in game

(Source: Release note 622)

2 Likes

I always love to see the new changes made to Roblox Studio. The teams have brought amazing features in the past months, and I look forward to the future!

1 Like