Release Notes for 639

What does it mean by “reflection”?

6 Likes

This change is absolutely revolutionary, I’m sure me giving more data to Roblox will change the platform for the better! Please take all my data Roblox!

(ps dont look at the disassembled Toolbox builtin, almost every action sends a telemetry event)

3 Likes

I mean surely giving our display sizes it will help them find all the performance issues studio has all these years and optimize it!

But in all seriousness, if you’re a developer on this platform and devexing you’re pretty much already required to give as much info as you can.

2 Likes

macOS Sonoma client version 639 still broken Camera Sensitivity UI in settings.

3 Likes

Adds anti-aliasing support for Path2D.

and everyone cheered

3 Likes

Is there any reason these are being added?

Most specifically, “remote desktop”, why?

Also, 4th time now?

2 Likes

This isn’t super specific to this particular update, but why do previous changes from previous logs show up, and why are so many marked as “Pending”?

There’s usually only 1-2 actual live changes, and I don’t think these are actually “release notes”. Hoping someone will correct me on this though :sob:

Been trying to understand this for the longest time when reading change logs and I couldn’t ever figure out why it’s done this way.

4 Likes

because it helps devs know what changed and has a record of it, it is very useful

it’s great that they are transparent about it

and it’s probably not useful for you if you don’t understand it

also pending means it’s done but not released to public (probably), it’s not serious

2 Likes

The display size are probably so the Studio team can prepare for things like responsive design to see how many users use things like small size displays like on laptops.

2 Likes

That does not make this a good change and I encourage everybody to use an app like AdGuard or Pi-hole to prevent collection of this

2 Likes

Are you sure this time?

3 Likes

Just explaining why they’re collecting that type of information. Also, Studio has had error telemetry for the longest time so them collecting telemetry isn’t exactly new.

1 Like

Hand tracking when?

2 Likes

Yeah I know and I’ve been against it for the longest time bc I still find it incredibly invasive bc they don’t really need to know everything about how we interact with Studio on what device. If I wanted to contribute (like steam’s hardware survey) I’d turn it on but there’s no option here

3 Likes

我爱 roblox 请收集更多我的信息 telemetry 更新 739 将为所有开发者带来繁荣

2 Likes

Luau ← → Engine communication. Something is “reflected” when it’s available to Scripts.

1 Like

No hope for you.

1 Like

Oh okay, thank you. So basically those methods have been optimized a bit.

1 Like

To add a bit more flavor: Doing a call like GetPartBoundsInBox has three main steps:

1. Get the message from your Lua code to C++ telling it what the Lua code wants done
  2. Actually spin in a tight loop querying the engine’s internal data structures for the parts.
  3. Convert the results back into a form that Lua can read them in (Lua table of Instance references).

The reflection is steps 1 and 3, where you “reflect” a C++ data structure to an equivalent Lua one or vice versa.

6 Likes

why is there two : in function calls in release notes of 640
(you have to go to this release then manually type 640)