Releasing Character Physics Controllers

My game still managed to crash somehow even with the sensors being set back to automatic.

It happens mostly again on crashes, or doing nothing, I left my client running for a solid minute without dying, and it crashed. @kleptonaut

the fix doesnā€™t seem to have been pushed yet, just give it a bit

1 Like

k then thx for letting me know

1 Like

I was a few days into creating my own method to enable horizontal wallsticking with movement capabilities until I saw this. Iā€™ve implemented the new character controllers into my project and Iā€™m enjoying the benefits already. Iā€™m mainly excited for the plans to give developers the ability to directly influence the characterā€™s up direction!

Side note : Itā€™s been about two months since this was mentioned so Iā€™m just curious, have there been developments/a new ETA on the ā€œUp Directionā€ property? Not trying to rush this feature but it seems many developers on this thread are similarly anticipating it :joy:

The issue is still present. Testing in studio team create, crash on player connect and disconnect after a while. Same in a published game when testing with multiple players. Occasionally not crashing when join either a published/team test with others but :LoadCharacter() will cause the disconnect issue after being respawned a few times @kleptonaut

This was mentioned in the fix notes for v603 but itā€™s still pending

@kleptonaut

if there would be a way to have something similar like Humanoid.EvaluateStateMachine but to only disable those ā€œCollision changesā€, that would be interesting

because the default Humanoid behaviour enables the collision of UpperTorso and LowerTorso everytime on jump or something

those default init scripts, surprisingly this time I didnā€™t even notice that it applied the new controls, until I started jumping, then I noticed the rotation was kinda weird

wellā€¦ itā€™s still changing the size of the HumanoidRootPart regardless if Humanoid.EvaluateStateMachine is on or off, when you modify something like bodyheight or other things

Does that mean that anything physics related on Roblox will be able to use server authoritative model?

4 Likes

This update seems to have changed how humanoid rootparts work, it automatically finds a new rootpart if something about the rootpart changes and you arenā€™t able to set the rootpart by setting the modelā€™s primarypart like it says you can do on the devhub, which causes a lot of problems for me

2 Likes

It would be great to be able to Disable only the things we dont want instead of disabling everything at once.

1 Like

For ControllerManagerā€™s MovingDirection, how can I control the max movement force for going up a ramp?

Iā€™m getting an NPC to move towards the direction of a 19 degree ramp, however, it fails to climb up the ramp and looks like it doesnā€™t have enough force. A normal Humanoid NPC would have no issues traversing this ramp.

My GroundController has all default properties. Friction 2, etc. Even doubling MoveSpeedFactor doesnā€™t work.

2 Likes

hi
Thanks for fixing the crash.
However, this broke another thing for our place. Now the ControllerManager always chooses the ā€˜AirControllerā€™ as active controller.
Earlier versions of the game now also break in the same way (weā€™re 100% sure they were previously working!). We noticed this 21 november, so most likely something with the update on 17 november.

This doesnā€™t seem to happen in a new place, so Iā€™m not able to create a simple reproduction file.
Possibly interference with workspace togglable beta feature settings?

Seemingly the GroundController doesnā€™t detect the groundā€¦

EDIT: Upping the task.wait() delay to task.wait(0.1) fixes itā€¦
A bit frustrating that something as simple (but out of our control) could break it. Possibly bc our character is custom/more complex?
Anyways, if others have a similar issue, itā€™s worth giving it a try.

Actually I spoke too soon. The multiplayer crash isnā€™t fixed yet.
@kleptonaut

Sorry but is there any progress with the bugs I reported?? The head sinking into the torso is really bugging me out :sob: (and ofc the camera thing when going backwards)

And about the ā€œOfficial implementation in Luaā€, will it work just like it used to during the beta? And when can I expect it to come out? (I stopped working on movement things because Iā€™m waiting for this first)

Also did my posts get deleted?? I cant find them anywhere even after clicking the reply thing on your message.

Using a 0.1s wait before initializing the character isnā€™t a guaranteed fix. It does work most of the time.
Any chance that and the occasional crashing can be fixed soon?

Also noticed that the physicscontrollers behave very glitchy on rigs with low assemblymass (<10). Minor issue since you can usually just add extra mass, but still would be nice if that could be fixed too.

1 Like

Have you found any solution for this? It seems to be very sporadic.

i found that controllerpartsensors act very strangely when Workspace.ModelStreamingBehavior is set to Improved, iā€™ve filed a bug report but for now set the model streaming behaviour to Legacy or Default

1 Like

Using default streaming mode. Itā€™s like 10% of the time the rig spawns without any force being applied from the ground controller. The ground sensor is correctly reporting a detected part.

Hi
Streaming might have something to do with it indeed!
Can you share a link to the bug report?

1 Like