Reliability of LinkedSources

So a few months ago I experienced a bug where most of my LinkedSources were wiped.

Here’s a thread from around that time with the issue and reason for it:

So herein lies my question - does anyone know if this was ever fixed?

Since a few Roblox Studio updates ago, opening places within a universe now 100% requires opening them from the Start Place. This means that if this bug wasn’t fixed, I’m at risk for all of my LinkedSources being wiped again. I tried looking around the DevForum but I couldn’t find any confirmation/follow-up.

4 Likes

If they aren’t already fixed, they definitely need to, LinkedSource is really useful but the only reason we don’t use them is because of the reliability. If they fixed this I wouldn’t have to have scripts clone into objects all the time.

They might have included the fix in another update they did that fixed group LinkedSources, however I cannot say for sure.

1 Like

I would like confirmation on this as well. I was using them for a project, but I was terrified of this bug the whole time I was working on it.

Someone pls help remove my LinkedSourceophobia.

2 Likes

I’ve been using linked scripts for months now, with absolutely no problems. In one game, I have about 7 linked scripts, and I often have multiple sessions open for different places in the game. Obviously, I can’t guarantee this on the technical side, but from a user standpoint, I’ve had absolutely no problems.

Ever since I had this bug effect me, I’ve gained, as Scriptos said, LinkedSourceophobia. Since then I’ve just used modulescripts to ‘mimic’ the effect of a linkedsource. It feels a lot more comfortable to me this way.

3 Likes

Yeahhhh Im never using linkedscripts ever again.

Not using them forced me to learn how to organize my modules instead of having multiple copies of the same module scattered everywhere. So, yay.

3 Likes

So I take it that you never really heard back on whether or not it was fixed?

2 Likes

LinkedSource scripts are important for universe games where we don’t want to update the same script across multiple games.

3 Likes

An alternate way of doing this using modules would be to upload your modules to the site, and use InsertService to load them in. Can even just use the id if it’s a server script using it.

I’ll never trust linkedsources ever again. :frowning:

2 Likes

Right, forgot about that.

2 Likes

InsertService also isn’t 100% reliable. Easiest and most robust solution is to just have all your scripts in 1 place and publish it for every place you have in your game. Then just check the PlaceId in your scripts to see which modules and scripts to use.

2 Likes

While InsertService is not 100% reliable is still pretty darn close. Keep in mind that it is used for handling character appearance among other things and very rarely do these requests fail. Games themselves are also loaded in a similar manner.

1 Like