Remove Humanoids forced collision on Parts (it's obsolete)

With the new collision filters and joints etc. I believe that humanoids need to set left and right arms’ CanCollide to false is obsolete.

It serves no function at all. If a player want to set arms to collide, let him do it. If it causes glitching, so what? He choose to set the collision therefore he choose the consequences.

I shouldn’t have to argue why this function should be removed because there is literally no reason for it to exist in the first place.

53 Likes

backwards compatibility?

I support. It can get really annoying the the limbs can clip through parts sometimes. I think having an option to set whether or not the arms collide with other parts not located in the player’s model could prove to be very beneficial.

I’ve recently made a script which causes a player to ragdoll depending on what angle they land on a part or how high their fall was to get there. Initially, both the arms and legs were clipping through the ground so I’ve had to weld invisible parts inside the limbs to create the collisions when they should have been there from the start.

6 Likes

Afaik most 3D games have their character movement hitboxes cylinder shaped, since it’s most intuitive when navigating any kind of maps and is something everyone is used to. Having collidable limbs sounds cool, but a good idea would be to simulate this and try out for yourself.

Collidable arms for ragdolls wouldn’t completely work because limbs will have to intersect with the torso to freely rotate most of the time - parts at the end of the limbs might be the best solution available.

I can’t see a purpose for collidable limbs as of now. Except for custom rigs.

5 Likes

We don’t even need collision filters. We just need ROBLOX to not reset CanCollide on them every frame

23 Likes

That’d be the best solution

3 Likes

PLEASE. THIS. For all Humanoid limbs. I’m so tired of needless collision on arms & legs causing gameplay issues just because I want to use custom animations.

9 Likes

I second this too. Creating humanoid NPC’s is an enormous pain because of this.

5 Likes

Agreed, same with torso. Let the developer decide how the collision should be handled. I still have to resort to collision hacks for npcs since collision filters are server only.

6 Likes

There’s nothing I’d love more than to finally be able to create my own custom collisions on Humanoids.[quote=“sparker22, post:2, topic:38073, full:true”]
backwards compatibility?
[/quote]

Explain how this would affect any current games?
If you have a script attempting to set the body part(s) of a humanoid’s collision to false, are your intentions not for said body part(s) to not collide with anything?
As @PlaceRebuilder said:[quote=“PlaceRebuilder, post:1, topic:38073”]
If a player want to set arms to collide, let him do it. If it causes glitching, so what? He choose to set the collision therefore he choose the consequences.
[/quote]

3 Likes

Obbies tend to rely on that behavior.
And yes because older games that aren’t being maintained will have a developer to do that. I mean ROBLOX being concerned in backwards compatibility has always been a thing so I figured this should be in consideration with this request too.

Edit: Wait, did I misread it? Afaik arms never collided with parts so like in obbies it would let you turn your character on thin platforms.

3 Likes

We aren’t talking about default behavior, we mean simply this:

workspace.Xeptix["Left Arm"].CanCollide = true
workspace.Xeptix["Left Leg"].CanCollide = false
workspace.Xeptix["Torso"].CanCollide = false

If an obby is manually setting CanCollide on humanoids, it’s their own faults if it causes unexpected behavior.

Currently, if you change CanCollide on humanoid body parts, it’s reset on every frame. We should be able to change CanCollide on humanoids - this is what the OP means.

3 Likes

Oh. Sorry for misunderstanding. Yeah +1 support then.

4 Likes

Reminder that this is still an issue for anyone trying to do anything remotely complicated with Humanoids. I’m just trying to change a humanoid’s hitbox, but when I put the Torso or Head of a onein a separate collision group to get past this very problem, it just stops registering the ground (because it can’t collide with it). I’d be able to fix my issue just by setting the Torso or Head to cancollide false.

I don’t think Humanoids need forced collision boxes. Completely unnecessary and is such a pain to work around. I’ve made a custom character system literally just to avoid this stuff. Humanoids really need a rework or something.

8 Likes

Hi yes 11 months later and this needs to be changed. When I make a viewmodel for FPS I can’t even use a humanoid because the collisions drag my character around or even make me fly and I would like to be able to add clothes to the humanoid without slapping 8-16 decals (depending on if the arms are R6 or R15), 1 for each side of the viewmodel’s arms.

4 Likes

I think this issue might become irrelevant when the upcoming modular character controller stuff comes out - I think they’re likely working on that stuff and not focusing on fixing the current Humanoids right now.

4 Likes

2024 and we’re still having issues with this

1 Like