Remove or increase the blocked user limit

As a Roblox user, it’s currently impossible to block more than 50 users. As you get more popular on the site, trolls start to target you and will constantly create new accounts just to harass you. A lot of these accounts can continue freely harassing you for weeks if you don’t block them due to backlogged Roblox moderation.

Development becomes almost depressing when you’re having to fight off people more than bugs. Being able to freely block as many users as I want seems like a good solution.

An alternative solution would be barring users from talking in game until they’ve verified their account and possibly waited at least a day before being able to talk. It would help reduce anonymous harassment as well since a lot of trolls wouldn’t be smart enough to use a different email before harassing people resulting in actual consequences.

67 Likes
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/operation-failed-you-may-have-blocked-too-many-people/19129/35

They said they would do this “eventually”. It requires changing the implementation from a list of all the blocked users, loaded when a game loads, to a call if a user is blocked or not. Doesn’t seem too hard, so I don’t know why it hasn’t been done.

11 Likes

It would be nice to get an official update on this. Maybe they need a reminder to look into it

2 Likes

Why would it have been done like that in the first place? :confused: Should have been implemented the same way I imagine they implemented friends, back when we could have tens of thousands of them.

Edit: I imagine the obvious answer to my question would have been to prevent having a massive database of blocked users.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s too big of a logistical issue considering you can follow as many people as you want, and if they’re only storing user IDs it would take hundreds of thousands of IDs to become an even significant file size. most people have close to nobody on their blocked list.

2 Likes

I agree. I think that the blocking feature was a nearly direct response to some bad publicity at one point, maybe the feature was rushed and that prevented them from creating a more scalable solution.

1 Like

either this or if it is too much trouble they should at least increase the limit

2 Likes

The same thing is happening to me, I need to unblock some of them so that I can block the others but then those old come back and the cycle repeats!

6 Likes

As a Roblox player, you run into a lot of nasty people. People who could spam your message inbox, or bypass the chat filter, etc. And of course, you would block them. Except, if you run into people like this regularly, it becomes a huge hassle, because you noticed this:

:flushed:
I have no idea why you are only allowed to block 50 users, and I’m not sure why there even is a limit. You should at least be allowed to block 200 people, just like how you can only be friends with 200 people.
Overall, I’m running out of room for people I can block, and I can only unblock so many people. So raising the limit or removing it altogether would really help me (And several others!) out.
Thanks!

8 Likes

I don’t understand why there is a limit at all. Blocking is the best alternative to reporting, because blocking instantly fixes the most issues (like spammers, bullies and so on).
Just remove the limit please. Social media networks like Instagram and Twitter also don’t have limits on the amount of people you’ve blocked, so why does Roblox still have one?

15 Likes