Rendering Software - Blender, 3ds Max, Cinema 4D, Houdini, Maya, or Octane?

Hello artists!
Today I want to gather your opinions, specifically a render engine. I have been using Blender for years, but want to see if there is a better software than it. I have seen many GFX Artists move over to Cinema and would love to know if I should.

• I use Cinema 4D
  • I use Blender
  • I use Maya/3ds Max
  • I use Houdini
  • I use Octane

0 voters

Thank you for voting! :+1:

4 Likes

Missing third option: Maya. I use Maya a lot for college so I’ve naturally gotten used to it and use it for my Roblox projects as well.

1 Like

Ok, I have recently found more soft-wares and will list them now.

1 Like

Might want to change the poll to be available to other roles, people usually change roles to different things they’re acustomed with yet still do other things :man_shrugging:

Anyways, I’d like to give my opinions:
Blender: Although free and nice to use, allows for great flexibility, tutorials, etc, they can be limiting depending on who you are (if you’re hardcore about rendering and etc). In total, great for getting into the business.

Maya: Overkill animation? Check, Overkill modeling? Check. Overkill learning Curve? Check check and check. If you can handle it, its great overall, also… Overkill price? check.

Cinema4D: Great for renders if you know what you’re doing. Similar to blender though overmarks in certain areas. However, if you’re your hot or cold inbetween, go for blender for beginning or maya for overkill :man_shrugging:.

Octane: Bob the builder ensues in RTX mode ON. Jk, basically, if you’re wanting to show off an architecture or something, it’s your go to deal.

I’m a little confused on Maya/3ds max since I thought those were the same thing though I may be wrong :thinking:. Anyways, I may or may not be wrong but these are my opinions.

EDIT: Nvm, ignore this edit, Maya can work Alongside 3DS Max, both work in favor with eachother to create good Renders/3D modeling.

3 Likes

Will be a vote that picks both.

I think the nature of this thread isn’t very realistic when trying to determine the “best” 3D software to use for Roblox development. Blender, Maya, 3DS Max, and Cinema4D will all perform comparably, it’s just a matter of which the user chooses to learn. Blender is currently the most realistic choice, as it’s the only one that can be utilized for free, as the other three offer free educational licenses, but cannot be used for Roblox development as it doesn’t fall under the umbrella of “personal projects” due to the potential for monetization.

Blender has been killing it these last few months with the advent of 2.8, and has added a laundry list of new features that propel it further into the industry standard, even some features not contained in any of the aforementioned programs—for free.

A lot of users simply google “best 3D software” and download the ones that are commonly used in professional studio environments, when in reality, Blender is being widely and increasingly adopted in many of those settings as we speak and is one of the only options that is realistic price-wise and accessible to Roblox developers license-wise.

The technical limitations between them are minuscule, especially in the scope of Roblox development.

2 Likes

This isn’t the “best 3d software for roblox development.” It simply gathers opinions from the community and sees what players like using for GFX.

This isn’t the “best 3d software for roblox development. ” It simply gathers opinions from the community and sees what players like using for GFX .

I think that most GFX artists will disagree with the notion that GFX isn’t Roblox development in any capacity, considering the importance of GFX for game presentation (whether it be on the game’s landing page or in the game itself) and the number of users that have chosen that route as their main emphasis is significant.

I have been using Blender for years, but want to see if there is a better software than it. I have seen many GFX Artists move over to Cinema and would love to know if I should.

This implies that you’re interested in learning about whether or not there is software more ideal for Roblox development (GFX), and that’s the main reason for my original reply.

i like blender blender is nice and free to use and i like it (:

4 Likes

I never said that GFX isnt roblox development.

I recommend using Blender for setting up the render. Use render.st for actually rendering it as it won’t murder your computer. You can make it even render in high resolution such as 10kx10k. It does cost money, though.

I personally use Roblox Studio for modeling, posing, etc. Then I import it into Blender.

You can do that, however, it can be hard at times. There is a YouTube video on a dummy that can be used for posing.

It is easier for me in Studio because Blender is a really hard program for beginners.

It’s hard at first, however, there are AWESOME tutorials out there that helps you.

I’ve watched soo much tutorials, I still don’t know the basics. I only know the rendering tricks (lighting, character modifications, ambient occlusion, etc.). I tried learning modeling but never got the basics of it. For modeling, I am thinking about switching to Cinema 4D because many people said that it is way easier to learn.

Autodesk Maya is £236 a month… and they still call it ‘affordable’ on their website LMAO

because it is used by companies bro

Octane isn’t really a software, it is a render engine.