Replicator ProcessPackets, and several CoreScripts taking large amounts of time upon players resetting

Relevant game is here
We were getting some reports of players having performance issues upon resetting. I made a request in scripting support for some help identifying the issue some time ago to no avail.

It seems that upon resetting, there are a few scripts taking up a lot of time and, because they are core scripts, I would assume there’s nothing I can do to speed up the frame times.

These are the core scripts that are taking up the most time when the players reset:

• Replicator ProcessPackets
  • CoreScripts/FaceChatSelfieView
  • BackpackScript
  • CoreScripts/PlayerBillboards
  • ToggleMic

Looking at the micro profiler, it is very obvious when the players reset because there are sudden spikes in frame time:

These usually subside after a few frames, but for low-end devices, I believe this issue is significantly worse.

Each spike shows the same few culprits which were listed above.

System info
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
32.0GB DDR5 RAM @ 5200MHz (31.2 usable)

Update (this is not solved but contains some additional info): Replicator ProcessPackets, and several CoreScripts taking large amounts of time upon players resetting - #4 by 7z99

I have attached a microprofiler dump and the place file to the private section.

A private message is associated with this bug report

7 Likes

This is a CRITICAL issue that needs to be addressed ASAP.

This has been an issue since April 18th. My game’s average session time has dropped from 8 minutes to 3.5, with our CCU dropping from ~350-500 to under 150 at most times.

Lots and lots of http loading errors associated with this too:

Everything related to this update has been affecting our studio’s income significantly, dropping our revenue by about 72%.

6 Likes

Update, I found a workaround! Set your physics step mode to fixed.

Our physics stepping mode is fixed already. We use a custom character because years ago there was some platform downtime that caused our characters to become R15 so I’m wondering if it’s that. I’ll give disabling it a shot

Update: so that might have fixed some of the problem, but CoreScripts/PlayerBillboards is still taking up a lot of time

2 Likes

With Billboards, do you have any directly parented to Workspace? I had an issue a while ago where BillboardGuis in Workspace caused FPS issues, so I’m just curious if this is related.

By directly, I mean workspace.BillboardGui.

None that are directly parented to the workspace

1 Like

Update, there’s now “ToggleMic” taking up a lot of time as well. It was first here when I was first experiencing the issue, then it subsided when I made the original post, but it’s back again.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

2 Likes