Resolution Issues

I have a Nexus 5, a high-resolution phone, with a 5 inch screen.

Because the phone has a 1080p screen (1080x1920), it has a high DPI (480ppi). It seems the higher the DPI, the lower the resolution the app runs at. The app’s resolution is so low on my phone (640x360), that once I opened the backpack, it covers the whole screen and can not be closed:

720p was a nice compromise:

Using a resolution changing app, I was able to modify the system’s DPI setting, adjusting system-wide DPI scaling. This also made the ROBOX APP run at a much greater resolution.

At 1080p, the game is playable and looks a lot nicer:

I took a few more screenshots, they’re all available here:
Click me for more screenshots?

Please note:
All the screenshots are at 1080p due to the way Android captures them and I did not change the resolution my phone screen ran at, only the DPI setting which affected the internal resolution of the ROBLOX app.
I do not recommend using an app to modify any Android settings, you can mess things up.

I don’t think it’s a bug, it’s more of a ‘feature’. They decide render resolution from PPI, as you already noticed.

That’s why I made this post as well:
http://developer.roblox.com/forum/mobile-features/6843-quality-settings

Also, what PPI did you change to, to get 1080p in-game resolution?

I believe core GUIs are sized by offset, so they’re not going to work with small screens.

I don’t think you understood the issue here. Nexus 5 has 4.9 inch screen, with 1080p resolution(which ends up as 480 pixels per inch). Instead of using your resolution, roblox calculates some kind of different resolution, based on how high PPI you have. Nexus 5 could easily handle 1080p resolution, but the problem is that it doesn’t go with all phones, that’s why I want to suggest settings for roblox app, because unlike for iPhones, androids are many and each has it’s specific stats, just like PC.

Actually yeh, I read wrong, but offset sized core guis is also another problem for smaller screen Android mobiles.

Currently when you open the tool box, there is no way at all to close it, and boy is that annoying because you have to rejoin the game (you can’t reset on mobiles).

[quote] I don’t think it’s a bug, it’s more of a ‘feature’. They decide render resolution from PPI, as you already noticed.

Also, what PPI did you change to, to get 1080p in-game resolution? [/quote]
The real problem is the backpack, it kind of ruins everything:

And DPI/PPI setting of 160 gives 1080p on my Nexus 5.
Edit: I’ll list them.

DPIΓÇâ-ΓÇâResolution
480ΓÇâ-ΓÇâ640x360ΓÇâΓÇâΓÇâ1x
240ΓÇâ-ΓÇâ1280x720ΓÇâ ΓÇâ 2x ΓÇâΓÇâ{ΓÇöΓÇö (This is what I’d recommend.)
160ΓÇâ-ΓÇâ1920x1080ΓÇâΓÇâ3x
120ΓÇâ-ΓÇâ2560x1440ΓÇâΓÇâ4x

[quote] I don’t think it’s a bug, it’s more of a ‘feature’. They decide render resolution from PPI, as you already noticed.

Also, what PPI did you change to, to get 1080p in-game resolution? [/quote]
The real problem is the backpack, it kind of ruins everything:

And DPI/PPI setting of 160 gives 1080p on my Nexus 5.
Edit: I’ll list them.

DPIΓÇâ-ΓÇâResolution
480ΓÇâ-ΓÇâ640x360ΓÇâΓÇâΓÇâ1x
240ΓÇâ-ΓÇâ1280x720ΓÇâ ΓÇâ 2x ΓÇâΓÇâ{ΓÇöΓÇö (This is what I’d recommend.)
160ΓÇâ-ΓÇâ1920x1080ΓÇâΓÇâ3x
120ΓÇâ-ΓÇâ2560x1440ΓÇâΓÇâ4x[/quote]

Yeah, I ended up using 240 as well. True, the backpack is the biggest issue here, but that also means that if there is phone with native resolution, that is as small as that, they will have this issue persisting.

The backpack problem should be fixed now - there’s a smaller version of the backpack that’s supposed to be used for phones, but it wasn’t set up properly.

As for the resolution - it’s something I’ve been looking into, and the rendering guys will take a look at it.